Ole Miss Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tyler21

Ole Miss Law

Postby tyler21 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:11 pm

I have accepted a full scholarship to Ole Miss (3.73/156 only time I took it), and will not have any debt upon graduation. I am from Fort Worth, TX but location is no issue. First, was this smart to do? All I ever read on here was how little debt made schools a lot more attractive, so I let that play a big factor here. Second, do the employment prospects seem reasonable at Ole Miss for someone who has no debt (undergrad or law school)? Just trying to make sure I made the right decision.

BVest

Re: Ole Miss Law

Postby BVest » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:23 pm

tyler21 wrote:I have accepted a full scholarship to Ole Miss (3.73/156 only time I took it), and will not have any debt upon graduation. I am from Fort Worth, TX but location is no issue. First, was this smart to do? All I ever read on here was how little debt made schools a lot more attractive, so I let that play a big factor here. Second, do the employment prospects seem reasonable at Ole Miss for someone who has no debt (undergrad or law school)? Just trying to make sure I made the right decision.

Ole Miss's numbers aren't great. You have a great GPA. I'd say study and retake in June and you'll have a better idea of what other options you might have; you'll still have time to go to Ole Miss if you want.

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Ole Miss Law

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:31 pm

tyler21 wrote:I have accepted a full scholarship to Ole Miss (3.73/156 only time I took it), and will not have any debt upon graduation. I am from Fort Worth, TX but location is no issue. First, was this smart to do? All I ever read on here was how little debt made schools a lot more attractive, so I let that play a big factor here. Second, do the employment prospects seem reasonable at Ole Miss for someone who has no debt (undergrad or law school)? Just trying to make sure I made the right decision.

It probably was not the smart thing to do, since you said elsewhere that you got your 156 LSAT score without studying. The smart thing to do would have been studying and retaking the LSAT.

The median salary for 2013 Ole Miss grads (based on the 23.7% of the class that reported their salary) was $58,000. Only 63% of 2013 grads are employed in full-time, long-term legal jobs. So I guess it comes down to whether those odds are worth the opportunity cost of your attendance.

That being said, no debt at Ole Miss is definitely better than taking on debt to go to any number of other schools.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”