Sufficient California ties?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Sufficient California ties?

Postby ShadowMoses » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 am

Quick question about ties. I was born in Orange County and moved away when I turned 7. Then I went back to OC for two years between high school and college. I'm wondering if this is enough to establish ties to that market. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

(I also have a wife and baby if that helps at all to establish my intent!)

Tiago Splitter

Re: Sufficient California ties?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 am

They could be better but should be sufficient if you end up with the right school/grades combo. If you had a job in those two years between HS and college it might be a good idea to find a spot for it on the resume so that someone who may not ever talk to you can see your ties.

Re: Sufficient California ties?

Postby Jay2716 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 pm

I think you're in that gray zone where it's going to vary wildly from interviewer to interviewer. Emphasize it as well as you can. I think some will consider that plenty, some won't. I don't know about OC very well, so YMMV, but I'm speaking from anecdotal experience having slightly better ties to what I imagine is a slightly less insular market. Some people hardly questioned my ties, some didn't buy them at all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”