Healthcare Lawyers

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PhantomBMAN

Healthcare Lawyers

Postby PhantomBMAN » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 pm

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there are any healthcare lawyers out there who would be willing to share their experiences with school, employment, etc. with me on here. It seems that most folks on here are pretty intent on making it into the top firms to practice relatively impacted areas of the law (business, criminal, tax, etc.). Seeing as how IP and Health law are two areas that have been expanding and growing, I'm not nearly as concerned about finding adequate employment with an insurance firm, hospital, etc. as I would be if my intent was on BigLaw and such.

So yeah! Thoughts and experiences are appreciated, thanks!

TheSpanishMain

Re: Healthcare Lawyers

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:51 pm

My impression is that a significant chunk, if not most, health law jobs are Biglaw jobs and that most hospital groups are not going to give an in house position to a freshly minted jd.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:16 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:most hospital groups are not going to give an in house position to a freshly minted jd.

Agreed. It's also not terribly easy to find an entry level healthlaw position in BigLaw without some meaty credentials.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:most hospital groups are not going to give an in house position to a freshly minted jd.

Agreed. It's also not terribly easy to find an entry level healthlaw position in BigLaw without some meaty credentials.

Seconding all of this. I did my paralegal stint in the health section of a BigLaw firm; most of our incoming associates (and higher-level attorneys, but this is more about the new hires) came from T-14 schools, or close to it, and had some sort of clear specialization in healthcare law. And by 'specialization' I don't mean an extra degree or anything, but had done significant healthcare-related work in or after law school (fellowships, working for the feds in the area, etc).

Just because it's a growing field doesn't mean you can waltz in and find a job.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:03 pm

What do you mean by healthcare law? It is an obscenely large area of law.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”