Working during 2L and 3L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Broncos847

Working during 2L and 3L?

Postby Broncos847 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:05 am

Like many applicants, I find myself choosing between a T14 with a small scholarship and a strong regional with a huge one. I really want to attend the T14, but debt numbers are staggering. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience working during 2L and 3L. Assuming things go decently well 1L, and I receive an offer during OCI, is it at all realistic to work 20-30 hours a week during these years?

I see many people on TLS refer to 3L as a "vacation", and 2L doesn't seem nearly as stressful to many posters here as 1L. I worked in restaurants for my living expenses during undergrad, and was wondering if that would be feasible. 200-300 extra bucks a week could do wonderful things to my overall COA, especially if I resist the urge to ball out and save most of my SA money.

Any experience or input is welcomed and appreciated.

itascot1992

Re: Working during 2L and 3L?

Postby itascot1992 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am

Broncos847 wrote:Like many applicants, I find myself choosing between a T14 with a small scholarship and a strong regional with a huge one. I really want to attend the T14, but debt numbers are staggering. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience working during 2L and 3L. Assuming things go decently well 1L, and I receive an offer during OCI, is it at all realistic to work 20-30 hours a week during these years?

I see many people on TLS refer to 3L as a "vacation", and 2L doesn't seem nearly as stressful to many posters here as 1L. I worked in restaurants for my living expenses during undergrad, and was wondering if that would be feasible. 200-300 extra bucks a week could do wonderful things to my overall COA, especially if I resist the urge to ball out and save most of my SA money.

Any experience or input is welcomed and appreciated.

Bump also interested in this question

banjo

Re: Working during 2L and 3L?

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am

You can work, but don't work for $10/hr at a restaurant. Get a law clerk or research assistant job or something.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”