GW law biglaw/big IP firm chances with EE

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
patman

GW law biglaw/big IP firm chances with EE

Postby patman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:39 am

Hey, I'm GW 0L with EE under major(2 years work before graduation) and international applicant.

I got full scholarship in ED but I'm hesitating because although I got full scholarship, things cost too much in DC area. :cry:

Because I'm not that rich and I'm not a us citizen(I heard visa makes more problem in small-mid firms), I think my chances are limited to biglaw or IP big firm(fish, finnegan, ...).

So my questions are :

1. How hard/easy to get jobs at biglaw/IP big firm guy that have tech background(EE)?

2. How many students(percentage) are there in GW with science/tech background?

3. About what percentage of EE guys get job in those big firm/IP big firm?

Thank you very much.
Last edited by patman on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

adil91

Re: GW law biglaw/big IP firm chances with EE

Postby adil91 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:11 pm

Isn't GW ED binding?

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 pm

EE/CS people are in the most demand for IP firms. Relative to people with other backgrounds, they seem to have the easier time. However, if you received your degree abroad, some people may not be familiar with the granting institution, and so your technical credentials could be questioned.

As a side note, lawyers are required to have excellent writing skills. They have to be effective communicators, and that starts with their written work. You may want to consider brushing up on your grammar and strengthening your writing, because even with a EE degree, firms will not take someone who cannot write properly. This is just a word of caution, because all of the advice as to the marketability of your degree, or the strength of one school over another, is given with the assumption that the student can write well.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Didn't you just make a thread about applying ed to northwestern

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 pm

IMO EE from GWU for free is probably as ideal a situation as you'll get without a t14 for free.

jerrycallo

Postby jerrycallo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Last edited by jerrycallo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 am

jerrycallo wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Didn't you just make a thread about applying ed to northwestern

patman, there seems to be some discrepancies in your posts (maybe because your first language is not English). You started a thread asking what the chances of going ED to Northwestern next year are while you also said you received a full tuition scholarship through the BINDING ED GW. In case you missed it, GW says "As part of the application for early decision, applicants must agree that, upon being admitted to The George Washington University Law School, they will:
•Commit to attend The George Washington University Law School and pay a non-refundable seat deposit in the amount of $1,500.
•Within 5 business days of admission to The George Washington University Law School, withdraw all applications pending at other law schools and not initiate applications at any other law schools"

So have you been accepted to GW ED to start classes in the fall of 2015? Or are you trying to apply to schools in the fall of 2015 so you can start classes in the fall of 2016?

It sounds like he or she applied to GW ED this past cycle, got in, and is thinking of withdrawing and waiting till next cycle to apply to Northwestern. I had always assumed that after being accepted to GW ED you just aren't allowed to attend a law school other than GW in that same year, but you could wait a year and apply elsewhere. Is that not correct?

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:IMO EE from GWU for free is probably as ideal a situation as you'll get without a t14 for free.

I go to GW and I agree. I don't know how someone with EE strikes out here, if you make above median.

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 am

IMO, chances for biglaw or the big boutiques are good from GW given the EE degree. You need to be open to patent prosecution for best odds tho. I'd suggest passing the patent bar before OCI, or better yet, before starting law school. It's a surprisingly big resume boost that's entirely within reach.

(Side note: patent prosecution is a good field for non-native English speakers. Written work submitted to an examiner doesn't have to be as perfect as the work you'd put before a judge. And patent prosecutors get a lot of work from foreign clients - fluency in a language that many potential clients will speak is obviously a plus.)

flawschoolkid wrote:I don't know how someone with EE strikes out here, if you make above median.

So you do know how, say, 50% of people with those qualifications might strike out?

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:32 am

kcdc1 wrote:IMO, chances for biglaw or the big boutiques are good from GW given the EE degree. You need to be open to patent prosecution for best odds tho. I'd suggest passing the patent bar before OCI, or better yet, before starting law school. It's a surprisingly big resume boost that's entirely within reach.

(Side note: patent prosecution is a good field for non-native English speakers. Written work submitted to an examiner doesn't have to be as perfect as the work you'd put before a judge. And patent prosecutors get a lot of work from foreign clients - fluency in a language that many potential clients will speak is obviously a plus.)

flawschoolkid wrote:I don't know how someone with EE strikes out here, if you make above median.

So you do know how, say, 50% of people with those qualifications might strike out?

I'm not sure what you'er asking. I'm not going to infer a link between EE and grades.

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:37 am

Just a joke dude. Your statement == "EE degree at GWU works 50% of the time, every time."

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am

kcdc1 wrote:Just a joke dude. Your statement == "EE degree at GWU works 50% of the time, every time."

I was sort of exaggerating. Insert "an interviewer of average ability who works diligently to secure employment." Or, don't be aspie

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Just a joke dude. Your statement == "EE degree at GWU works 50% of the time, every time."

I was sort of exaggerating. Insert "an interviewer of average ability who works diligently to secure employment." Or, don't be aspie

He means "just get median bro!" means there is a 50% chance of failure.

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:

Coinflip for "free" ins't bad though.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:

Coinflip for "free" ins't bad though.

It's three years and would kill his engineering career, which honestly, isn't all that less profitable than an patent law career.

But I'm not convinced you need to be median. I think with a decent UG gpa, you'd easily find patent pros work with an EE degree even with sub 3.0 grades. But OP says he may have trouble with visas. Dunno how that all works

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote: I had always assumed that after being accepted to GW ED you just aren't allowed to attend a law school other than GW in that same year, but you could wait a year and apply elsewhere. Is that not correct?

This is correct. I did just that a few years ago.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”