penn students pls respond

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mack.Hambleton

penn students pls respond

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:55 am

How often/how hard is it to get business/consulting jobs from Penn law? Is there a good connection with wharton to make this possible at all? Would the the connections of the levy scholars program help at all?

ymmv

Re: penn students pls respond

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:How often/how hard is it to get business/consulting jobs from Penn law? Is there a good connection with wharton to make this possible at all? Would the the connections of the levy scholars program help at all?

Why not just go to Wharton?

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:29 pm

My work experience is in non profits, I can go to penn law for free, and I'm interested in biglaw as well, just want to keep my options open a bit.

Also I think wharton is hard to get into

Penn16

Postby Penn16 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:My work experience is in non profits, I can go to penn law for free, and I'm interested in biglaw as well, just want to keep my options open a bit.

McKinsey recruits at the law school, but I'm not sure how many students go for it or if the only people who do go for it are JD/MBAs. I'm also not sure whether the other big consulting firms do much recruiting here outside of Wharton. The Penn Association of Law and Business provides connections and opportunities as well, since I believe they do two career treks to NYC during the school year, one for I-banking and one for consulting. Again, though, that seems to be more geared towards the JD/MBAs, but I'm sure there are a few JDs who participate too.

Bottom line is that getting biglaw is not a problem for most people here, but consulting would take more hustle.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're getting the law degree for free, you could also consider applying to the 3-year JD/MBA program during 1L year and have a better shot at getting into Wharton than you would applying from outside the university. Not saying it's easy to get in or that the MBA is cheap, but if you really wanted to go into consulting, it may not be a bad investment given the free law degree and the fact that you can wait to apply as a 1L to see if it's really what you want.
Last edited by Penn16 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Harder to get into Penn MBA than Penn JD.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Penn16 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:My work experience is in non profits, I can go to penn law for free, and I'm interested in biglaw as well, just want to keep my options open a bit.

McKinsey recruits at the law school, but I'm not sure how many students go for it or if the only people who do go for it are JD/MBAs. I'm also not sure whether the other big consulting firms do much recruiting here outside of Wharton. The Penn Association of Law and Business provides connections and opportunities as well, since I believe they do two career treks to NYC during the school year, one for I-banking and one for consulting. Again, though, that seems to be more geared towards the JD/MBAs, but I'm sure there are a few JDs who participate too.

Bottom line is that getting biglaw is not a problem for most people here, but consulting would take more hustle.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're getting the law degree for free, you could also consider applying to the 3-year JD/MBA program during 1L year and have a better shot at getting into Wharton than you would applying from outside the university. Not saying it's easy to get in or that the MBA is cheap, but if you really wanted to go into consulting, it may not be a bad investment given the free law degree and the fact that you can wait to apply as a 1L to see if it's really what you want.

thanks for this!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”