0L Questions before entering Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheatreofDreams1

New

0L Questions before entering

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:51 am

Hey TLS,

You guys have been incredibly helpful in shepherding me through the law school application process. So thank you for that.

I had a question in regards to the summer prior to 1L. I am coming into law school with a very limited understanding of law and how law school works, for the better or worse.

I was wondering, are there any website or books that I can read to familiarize myself as 1L approaches?

Thank you for all your advice and help.

twenty

Gold

Re: 0L Questions before entering

Post by twenty » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 am

The a priori answer is "don't do anything." That said, there will be some subjects that you will almost definitely learn about - supremacy and commerce clause in constitutional law, consideration in contracts, negligence in torts, etc. But those subjects are honestly really easy to learn. The difficulty of law school isn't that the material is hard, it's that you're with a bunch of people that are equally smart.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKt7eAHQ6JU

This vid had some good points on this matter

golden44

New

Post by golden44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:56 am

Disclaimer, 0L. Personally, not planning on doing any actual prep, but these videos were recommended to me by several friends as a way to get a quick, general overview. Free and put on by Penn Law for a non-law continuing education audience.

https://www.coursera.org/course/americanlaw

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

Also: you want to learn what the professors teach, not what some prep course or commercial outline says. No bonus points on exams for outside knowledge, and if you get a different gloss on a case's takeaway than the prof, the final is NOT the place to air that. So prior studying/research can hurt more than help sometimes.

Basically, take it easy and make sure your social life and finances are ready for the coming storm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Read Getting to Maybe.
Read the "how to succeed in law school" threads.
Relax.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Read something like Law School Confidential, or some other book about the law school experience if you want to know what to expect. Maybe Getting to Maybe to get an idea for what exams are like. Just don't waste time with substantive prep.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:30 pm

If you slept through US History like I did, reading up on it might be helpful. Other than that read books that you enjoy, because you won't want to during law school.

Reading for fun is probably the thing I miss most right now.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:38 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:If you slept through US History like I did, reading up on it might be helpful. Other than that read books that you enjoy, because you won't want to during law school.

Totally agree with this. Con Law is the only class thus far where I've felt somewhat at a disadvantage for coming in as a blank-slate-dummy. Everything else has been fine, arguably better, because you can focus completely on what your prof. wants to see on an exam instead of what you came in thinking you knew.

Also I'd read Getting To Maybe, but read it lightly. It'll just make it easier to reread when you're ~6 weeks out from your first set of finals.

Aside from that, don't do anything. Hell, if you don't do a single thing to prepare you're definitely doing it right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:If you slept through US History like I did, reading up on it might be helpful. Other than that read books that you enjoy, because you won't want to during law school.

Totally agree with this. Con Law is the only class thus far where I've felt somewhat at a disadvantage for coming in as a blank-slate-dummy. Everything else has been fine, arguably better, because you can focus completely on what your prof. wants to see on an exam instead of what you came in thinking you knew.

Also I'd read Getting To Maybe, but read it lightly. It'll just make it easier to reread when you're ~6 weeks out from your first set of finals.

Aside from that, don't do anything. Hell, if you don't do a single thing to prepare you're definitely doing it right.
Can confirm an advanced degree in US History won't save someone from median pwnage in Con Law

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Don't worry about learning the law beforehand. If you really want to do something productive, read history, basic economics and game theory texts and get in the habit of reading the news. Not having this background knowledge will be more annoying in law school than not having read about footnote four.

As for law school itself, if you've read a lot of TLS you'll know more than pretty much everyone about how law school works coming in.

snow24

New

Post by snow24 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Do whatever you want. There's a lot of discussion on 0L prep and in my opinion, any advantage is negligible. Practically everyone will be at the same spot when finals comes around and any reading in the summer at that point will be of no use.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 pm

okaygo wrote:Read Getting to Maybe.
Relax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:53 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
okaygo wrote:Read Getting to Maybe.
Relax.

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 am

Getting to Maybe is still on my desk. I can't say I actually went back to it before 1L exams, but it will definitely get you in the mood.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”