Quick Question Regarding "Ties" to an Area

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
manonthemoon312

Quick Question Regarding "Ties" to an Area

Postby manonthemoon312 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a bit and trying to solidify where I would like to apply in terms of law schools. One thing that I constantly see is what sort of ties you have to an area.

For context in my case, I mean that I am interested in staying in Florida for law school (FL resident + did ugrad in Florida), and would preferably like to stay in Florida to practice as well. However, after browsing the forums, I repeatedly see that to have the best chance of practicing in Florida (albeit in BigLaw), one should have strong local ties to an area (i.e. Miami, Tampa, Orlando). I was just curious as to what "strong ties" means in this case?

Thank you in advance for the help and I appreciate it!

elterrible78

Re: Quick Question Regarding "Ties" to an Area

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm a little bit confused here...are you worried about ties when it comes to choosing where to go to school, getting a job in Florida, or both?

I don't think you need to worry too much about Florida ties if that is where you want to be. I mean, if you're from some rural Florida backwater that's quite a ways from Tampa, Miami, or Orlando, you don't have to worry about that; the simple explanation is that the place where you have "roots" doesn't have a legal market to speak of, but you'd like to remain in the state, so Miami/Orlando/Tampa is where you want to be. I can't imagine anyone questioning that.

That said, ties to an area won't matter a bit for you for school. Schools don't care, and since you already have established Florida roots, you don't need to worry about going to school in Florida. Obviously, the ideal situation is to go to a T-14 for as cheaply as possible. If you can't, then FSU or UF with a substantial scholarship might work, or even someplace like Emory.

This is a serious oversimplification, but without more information, I'm not sure what else can be said.

manonthemoon312

Postby manonthemoon312 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I guess I should be a bit clearer; whenever I have seen posts about law students discussing being employed/working in Florida, they always say that they have ties to the region or that they have no ties to a region. I was just curious as to what they meant by having ties to a region; would that be family or schooling or just good networking/contacts or what that entails.

I was born and raised in the Tampa area, where I did all of my schooling (up to and including ugrad) so I was curious as to what people meant when they say have ties to an area. In terms of where I would like to go, I will likely be applying to FSU, UF, UMiami and depending on how my June LSAT goes, perhaps some more schools out of state. I would most definitely like to stay in state (Florida) and practice.

I hope that this clears some things up; thank you for your help!

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 pm

manonthemoon312 wrote:I guess I should be a bit clearer; whenever I have seen posts about law students discussing being employed/working in Florida, they always say that they have ties to the region or that they have no ties to a region. I was just curious as to what they meant by having ties to a region; would that be family or schooling or just good networking/contacts or what that entails.

I was born and raised in the Tampa area, where I did all of my schooling (up to and including ugrad) so I was curious as to what people meant when they say have ties to an area. In terms of where I would like to go, I will likely be applying to FSU, UF, UMiami and depending on how my June LSAT goes, perhaps some more schools out of state. I would most definitely like to stay in state (Florida) and practice.

I hope that this clears some things up; thank you for your help!

No problem at all, and I wish you the best of luck. Florida is very tie-sensitive (even more so than a lot of other places, I think), but I don't think ties will be a problem for you at all. If you have the numbers, you should definitely try to get out of state and go to a top school (which would increase your chances by quite a bit, I think). But that's a post-June LSAT discussion. Feel free to PM me at any time; I'll be working biglaw in Miami and have at least a little insight (emphasis on little, though).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Just generic comment on what ties are: Ties are primarily having lived somewhere/having family there, or your SO being there/having family there - basically, something that explains why you want to be there besides "I got a job there" or (in a lot of places) "it looks like a cool place." Personal connections/networks help too, but aren't as strong. Many employers worry that if you move to a new place for a job, you'll ditch them and head back him when you get the chance; also, some communities are just especially insular and prefer to hire locals (because they're a known quantity? Loyalty? Xenophobia? Not sure). For instance, Denver and the Pacific Northwest are notoriously hard to break into without being from there.

Growing up in Florida and going to school there are definitely strong ties. It doesn't matter if those ties are completely unrelated to the legal community there (those are nice, but not necessary).

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:33 pm

How do you break into DC besides interning there for 1L?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 pm

As fat as I can tell from reading too many posts here, have excellent grades.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:37 pm

manonthemoon312

Postby manonthemoon312 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Just generic comment on what ties are: Ties are primarily having lived somewhere/having family there, or your SO being there/having family there - basically, something that explains why you want to be there besides "I got a job there" or (in a lot of places) "it looks like a cool place." Personal connections/networks help too, but aren't as strong. Many employers worry that if you move to a new place for a job, you'll ditch them and head back him when you get the chance; also, some communities are just especially insular and prefer to hire locals (because they're a known quantity? Loyalty? Xenophobia? Not sure). For instance, Denver and the Pacific Northwest are notoriously hard to break into without being from there.

Growing up in Florida and going to school there are definitely strong ties. It doesn't matter if those ties are completely unrelated to the legal community there (those are nice, but not necessary).

this is pretty much what i was looking for; thank you!

sublime wrote:Florida biglaw is notoriously hard to get. Several 2Ls on here struck out despite being essentially born and raised in the state, and some of us were from Yale, UVA, etc down to Vandy and WUSTL.

dayum that sucks but also good to know in advance; thank you!

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:As fat as I can tell from reading too many posts here, have excellent grades.

Easier said than done :(

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”