Debt-free grads: Are you miserable?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PeanutsNJam

Re: Debt-free grads: Are you miserable?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm

DELG wrote:Are you completely retarded or a troll

It's called a shitpoast. I'm serious in the OP though I want to know if there are any biglaw associates out there who don't hate their job.

DELG

Postby DELG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:12 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
DELG wrote:Are you completely retarded or a troll

It's called a shitpoast. I'm serious in the OP though I want to know if there are any biglaw associates out there who don't hate their job.

there are people who like to eat people

AND ALSO people who want to be killed and eaten

these people are actually out there

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 pm

I am a debt-free 5th year associate in a secondary market of a V50 firm. I was able to pay my loans off in approximately three years. I'm not miserable, but I don't always find my job that engaging either. I'm typically in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and will work a couple of hours on the weekend. Compared to my peers in bigger cities, I don't work all that much, but I still find the hours and billable pressure miserable.

Quite honestly, I've been thinking about jumping in house to a company, where it is the normal even for legal counsel to work 8:30-5:30 and no weekends, plus no billable pressure.

DELG

Postby DELG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:21 pm

silenttimer wrote:I am a debt-free 5th year associate in a secondary market of a V50 firm. I was able to pay my loans off in approximately three years. I'm not miserable, but I don't always find my job that engaging either. I'm typically in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and will work a couple of hours on the weekend. Compared to my peers in bigger cities, I don't work all that much, but I still find the hours and billable pressure miserable.

Quite honestly, I've been thinking about jumping in house to a company, where it is the normal even for legal counsel to work 8:30-5:30 and no weekends, plus no billable pressure.

I like how first you aren't miserable then by the end of your post actually are

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 pm

DELG wrote:
silenttimer wrote:I am a debt-free 5th year associate in a secondary market of a V50 firm. I was able to pay my loans off in approximately three years. I'm not miserable, but I don't always find my job that engaging either. I'm typically in the office from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and will work a couple of hours on the weekend. Compared to my peers in bigger cities, I don't work all that much, but I still find the hours and billable pressure miserable.

lol. introspection is a bitch.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:48 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
DELG wrote:

lol. introspection is a bitch.

This sort of reminds me of when Kanye was trying to explain to the South Park kids that Kim Kardashian is most certainly not a hobbit, but the more he tried to justify it, the more he started questioning whether she may actually in fact be a hobbit...

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:52 pm

kaiser wrote:This sort of reminds me of when Kanye was trying to explain to the South Park kids that Kim Kardashian is most certainly not a hobbit, but the more he tried to justify it, the more he started questioning whether she may actually in fact be a hobbit...

Nailed it.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 pm

DELG wrote:

The reminder that they have no debt is inspiring, at least temporarily

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:03 pm

No lie, the more time I spend here, the less appealing law school becomes.

The problem is that I've talked with older attorneys who really like what they do and that makes me think I would, too. Granted, I'm in a tertiary market.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:08 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:No lie, the more time I spend here, the less appealing law school becomes.

The problem is that I've talked with older attorneys who really like what they do and that makes me think I would, too. Granted, I'm in a tertiary market.

Pretty much this. All the boomers i speak with love their jobs and swear that they're never gonna retire.- and not bc they can't retire, don't want to. But they are all equity partners in small law firms and have a pretty easy work/life balance.

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:28 pm

starry eyed wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:No lie, the more time I spend here, the less appealing law school becomes.

Pretty much this. All the boomers i speak with love their jobs and swear that they're never gonna retire.- and not bc they can't retire, don't want to. But they are all equity partners in small law firms and have a pretty easy work/life balance.

When you're making money hand over fist on the backs of underpaid employees/debt servants, it's hard not to think that life is grand.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:02 pm

It takes a special person to not be miserable in biglaw. You gotta be low stress, low anxiety, and able to just do bare minimum and not take any of it personally--which after attending law school I sincerely doubt that there are huge numbers of law school who are like that. You gotta be self motivated to stay efficient during the day so you don't have to stay late, but not so motivated that you'll work overtime to make shit perfect or seek approval from some partner. You do your 8-9 hours and then leave. Of course, when shit hits the fan, you gotta stay late, but no big deal.

But besides being the right personality match, you also have to get very lucky for who you work for. Your bosses have to be like the above too^. You have to work in a practice group that has work that isn't all last minute AND has pretty consistent work.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It takes a special person to not be miserable in biglaw. You gotta be low stress, low anxiety, and able to just do bare minimum and not take any of it personally--which after attending law school I sincerely doubt that there are huge numbers of law school who are like that. You gotta be self motivated to stay efficient during the day so you don't have to stay late, but not so motivated that you'll work overtime to make shit perfect or seek approval from some partner. You do your 8-9 hours and then leave. Of course, when shit hits the fan, you gotta stay late, but no big deal.

But besides being the right personality match, you also have to get very lucky for who you work for. Your bosses have to be like the above too^. You have to work in a practice group that has work that isn't all last minute AND has pretty consistent work.

Or wait for dat Stockholm syndrome to kick in.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 pm

starry eyed wrote:

Because at that point, the people who don't like the job have filtered their way out. Of course older lawyers are going to like it. They are the ones that stuck around and chose to continue doing it. And no, it doesn't mean that sticking it out makes you enjoy it more. You stick it out precisely because you enjoy it. So older attorneys are a filtered and very biased sample.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”