Number of classes

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
to116

Number of classes

Postby to116 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 pm

NYU seems to only have 3 graded classes per semester first year, and then ungraded LRW. Harvard, by comparison has 5. A lot of people talk about how the grading system at Harvard makes it more relaxing than at CCN but wouldn't taking 3 graded courses be something to consider? I haven't heard much about this, so i'm wondering if any one has some insight.

yomisterd

Re: Number of classes

Postby yomisterd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:23 pm

to116 wrote:NYU seems to only have 3 graded classes per semester first year, and then ungraded LRW. Harvard, by comparison has 5. A lot of people talk about how the grading system at Harvard makes it more relaxing than at CCN but wouldn't taking 3 graded courses be something to consider? I haven't heard much about this, so i'm wondering if any one has some insight.

5 classes first semester sucks. As does graded LRW.

BlakcMajikc

Re: Number of classes

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 am

to116 wrote:NYU seems to only have 3 graded classes per semester first year, and then ungraded LRW. Harvard, by comparison has 5. A lot of people talk about how the grading system at Harvard makes it more relaxing than at CCN but wouldn't taking 3 graded courses be something to consider? I haven't heard much about this, so i'm wondering if any one has some insight.

If you are stressed about law school grades, you're going to be stressed regardless of the number of courses. We only take 12 credits per semester (~3-5 classes/seminars/reading groups/clinics/independent writing) after 1L at HLS and some people are still stressed.
Time management at HLS is a big deal -- if you're better at it, then you'll enjoy 1L a lot more.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”