Tax LLM Programs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CaptainJapan

Tax LLM Programs

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

The subject was brought up in another post, but I thought I'd start a new thread for any insights on pursuing a Tax LLM at GULC/NYU. For what career goals does it make sense to tack on the additional debt? I really don't know anyone who's gone this route, so any info would be helpful.

nealric

Re: Tax LLM Programs

Postby nealric » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:06 pm

I did a GULC LLM. But I had a job offer in hand. It's almost always worth it if you have a firm willing to pay. Otherwise, it's a bit of a hail Mary. Most of my fellow LLMs got something, but it's difficult to say whether that "something" was worth what they spent for the degree.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm

The tax LL.M. is pretty much required by most Tax Court judges if you're interested in clerking there. Otherwise, it may be useful if you want to teach or perhaps transition from one employer to another (e.g., from private practice to government), although it is by no means required for either. Many people do the LL.M. part-time while working, or, as Nealric said, have it paid for by their employer.

cigarman

Postby cigarman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 pm

The obvious answer is if you want to work in Tax... its obviously useful. I wouldn't hire a lawyer in my firm without one. I'd spend too much time training them on stuff from how to read and "get" code to complicated concepts. Maybe biglaw can afford to train you the basics, I can't. And that TAX LLm doesn't mean your are useful yet. It just means I can start training you at a higher level.

Heres what you need to know about NYU vs GULC.

1) Between the two of them they have around 90% of the votes on taxtalent as being the most prestigious. Any other tax LLM is meh. I know Florida thinks they are awesome. But, they just don't feed the high end jobs.

2) NYU= wall street corporate America , its flat out the tax feeder school for Offense. Your planning etc with the companies. GULC= government (IRS etc) the top feeder school for Government. Think defense. Reacting to Wall street and corps. Then you sell out after a few years and go private.

Maybe another way to think about it is, AT NYU you plan transactions. At GULC you plan to interact with the regulators. Difference between regulation based practice and a transactional practice, I might project. Just my view having a Tax LL.M from GULC.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:38 pm

cigarman wrote:The obvious answer is if you want to work in Tax... its obviously useful. I wouldn't hire a lawyer in my firm without one. I'd spend too much time training them on stuff from how to read and "get" code to complicated concepts. Maybe biglaw can afford to train you the basics, I can't. And that TAX LLm doesn't mean your are useful yet. It just means I can start training you at a higher level.

1) Between the two of them they have around 90% of the votes on taxtalent as being the most prestigious. Any other tax LLM is meh. I know Florida thinks they are awesome. But, they just don't feed the high end jobs.

2) NYU= wall street corporate America , its flat out the tax feeder school for Offense. Your planning etc with the companies. GULC= government (IRS etc) the top feeder school for Government. Think defense. Reacting to Wall street and corps. Then you sell out after a few years and go private.

Maybe another way to think about it is, AT NYU you plan transactions. At GULC you plan to interact with the regulators. Difference between regulation based practice and a transactional practice, I might project. Just my view having a Tax LL.M from GULC.

Thanks for this.

also for anyone interested, found this nugget on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APoVK-peOxA&feature

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:42 pm

cigarman wrote:The obvious answer is if you want to work in Tax... its obviously useful. I wouldn't hire a lawyer in my firm without one. I'd spend too much time training them on stuff from how to read and "get" code to complicated concepts. Maybe biglaw can afford to train you the basics, I can't. And that TAX LLm doesn't mean your are useful yet. It just means I can start training you at a higher level.

Interesting. Is this to say an GULC LLM won't serve you much as far as feeding to the private sector right out of school? Or is that more of a guideline?

cigarman

Postby cigarman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:11 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:

Interesting. Is this to say an GULC LLM won't serve you much as far as feeding to the private sector right out of school? Or is that more of a guideline?

It was a guideline. Like all parts of tax, it depends on the area and the strength of the school in that area. Georgetown did very well in SALT sending people to Midwestern states. Like most, the international program prepared you to work... well... nowhere... since international sounds so sexy everyone does it, until they find out there are seven jobs in the field!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”