Law school or not?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawgirl20

Law school or not?

Postby lawgirl20 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I posted a topic in the chances thread about whether I should take some time off or not before law school. The consensus was generally to take some time off. I'm back with another predicament.

Some stats:
Econ major from t15 undergrad
3.4 gpa/159 LSAT
Part black

I am going through some interviews/super days right now at some consulting firms (non-t3), rotational programs at f500 companies, and investment/trading firms. Starting salaries at most of these places vary from 60-80k. Unfortunately, most of these places require a minimum of 2 years. Some people have also told me that it's honestly not worth it to only work for 1-2 years in these roles and jump ship because these roles are meant to payoff in the long run.

Any thoughts on whether I should move forward with a commitment to working at these firms? Whether law school is "really" worth it? I would really appreciate some advice from people who have moved from finance/consulting to law or vice versa too.

hairbear7

Re: Law school or not?

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:24 pm

As far as law schools go…How many times have you taken the LSAT?

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Hey, I'm in financial services now, trying to make the move to law.

I would take the job. If you can make 60-80k in a starting role that sounds like it has decent room for advancement/pay increase, I see no reason for you to go to law school unless/until you know for sure that you won't be happy if you're not a lawyer.

With an option like that, you can only be in a better financial position to go to law school if you decide down the road that you were always meant to practice law. Plus you'll likely be more equipped to handle law school, having been in the work force for a while and gained some maturing perspective (not calling you immature, mind, just saying the WE will be beneficial.)

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Taking more then 1-2 years off is not a bad idea. I ended up taking 6 - it helps build your resume, professionalism, and makes sure you only go into law if you really, really want it (given that you'll be walking from a paying career).

Even if your LSAT score was 10 points higher, I think this would apply. It sounds like you have some fantastic opportunities - pursue them before you put yourself in tons of debt. Law will always be waiting if you still want it down the road.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Is there a reason you want to go to law school? If you just want to make dollar dollar bills y'all stick with what you're doing.

lawgirl20

Postby lawgirl20 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:42 pm

hairbear7 wrote:As far as law schools go…How many times have you taken the LSAT?

Twice... technically the first time I cancelled because I got sick the night before. I definitely became extremely anxious on the december LSAT and that score was not representative of my abilities considering the fact that I diagnosed at 157 and had been pt'ing around 170-175 before that test

yomisterd wrote:Is there a reason you want to go to law school? If you just want to make dollar dollar bills y'all stick with what you're doing.

Yes! I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little kid. I know this site tends to s*** on people who say that but I really do want to go into litigation albeit biglaw or midlaw

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:45 pm

Does this:
lawgirl20 wrote:I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little kid.

and this:
lawgirl20 wrote:I really do want to go into litigation albeit biglaw

really go together well? Do you know what BIG LITIGATORS do? Is that what you imagined doing as a little kid?

lawgirl20

Postby lawgirl20 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:Does this:

and this:

really go together well? Do you know what BIG LITIGATORS do? Is that what you imagined doing as a little kid?

Yes... Half of my family are in big or midlaw. I know what it entitles. And I never said anything about wanting to be a big litigator as a little kid? I said, in general, I wanted to be a lawyer.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:54 pm

If you really want to be a lawyer, and you were really PT'ing that high, then definitely retake when you are ready and then apply.

A 170-175 LSAT would definitely make law school a good option for you.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

lawgirl20 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Does this:

and this:

Yes... Half of my family are in big or midlaw. I know what it entitles. And I never said anything about wanting to be a big litigator as a little kid? I said, in general, I wanted to be a lawyer.

You said you always wanted to be a lawyer, it's just weird to me that that is still a driving force and yet you want to do litigation at a big firm. Like, I can't imagine a little kid's vision of being a lawyer is anything like what a BIG LAWYER does. I would think if you had the "always wanted to be a lawyer" thing you'd run as far away from big law as possible.

Anyway, you asked if law school is worth it, I can't speak to whether it ever "really" is but I'd say almost never with those numbers and those goals. I think if you retake and can get it higher you should have some really good options but right now it's probably not worth it.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm

BigZuck wrote: you asked if law school is worth it, I can't speak to whether it ever "really" is but I'd say almost never with those numbers and those goals. I think if you retake and can get it higher you should have some really good options but right now it's probably not worth it.

+1

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Hey, I'm in financial services now, trying to make the move to law.

I would take the job. If you can make 60-80k in a starting role that sounds like it has decent room for advancement/pay increase, I see no reason for you to go to law school unless/until you know for sure that you won't be happy if you're not a lawyer.

With an option like that, you can only be in a better financial position to go to law school if you decide down the road that you were always meant to practice law. Plus you'll likely be more equipped to handle law school, having been in the work force for a while and gained some maturing perspective (not calling you immature, mind, just saying the WE will be beneficial.)

The economy is doing well right now. I'd definitely work in those roles and would never look back at law school. It's not worth it. Business/finance is a much better industry than law.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:30 am

60-80k > 3 years of law school and then making 160k. Easy. And the best part? If two years from now you decide you still really want to go to law school, you'll have work experience and something to talk about in interviews. Even if you for sure know you want to go to law school, you're still better off taking a 60-80k gig. You'll be able to stash away plenty of money to reduce your law school debt and make yourself more marketable to firms.

Oh and retake anyways. Don't be foolish.

Poptorts

Postby Poptorts » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:39 am

Stick with finance. Your opportunity for advancement and the immediate pay makes it worth it since with a healthy bonus, you'll make nearly as much as you would in biglaw without the necessity of half your paycheck going toward loans. Plus, with finance you can make the jump to a hedge fund after your stint in IB and really start to save the money for law school if your heart is still set on it.

Also, retake.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”