Question about 1L summer from 0L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BeeLIfe

New

Question about 1L summer from 0L

Post by BeeLIfe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 am

I am curious about the timeline for a 1L summer job. When do these usually start and when do they end? The week after finals? Two weeks after? The Monday following the week of exams? That weekend? Does it depend?

I am thinking about planning a large life event for next summer, and would need at least 7 days for this event and what follows. Would I be able to find this time? What would a employer think if I asked to start late?

Thanks for the responses.

BeeLIfe

New

Re: Question about 1L summer from 0L

Post by BeeLIfe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:42 am

Bump up, hopefully back to front page. I could really use an answer.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 am

This depends entirely on where you work your 1L summer, but *typically* there's some time in between the last final (and writing competition) and the start date. I believe I had three weeks in between during my 1L summer, and two weeks in between during my 2L summer. Both were Gov't jobs.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 am

There is no one-size-fits-all answer here; it is going to depend completely on where you work. With that said, I think if you plan your event and let the firm/agency/solo/coffee shop, etc. know ahead of time, I can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to work with you considering you're only asking for a week.

BeeLIfe

New

Post by BeeLIfe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks guys. All I needed to know was that it was possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”