LSAT Score Advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Here2Study

LSAT Score Advice

Postby Here2Study » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading over the past several days. I have a question for law school students or graduates, especially from Rutgers School of Law. Let me give you some quick academic background information of myself. I have an A.S. Degree, B.A. Degree 'Magna Cum Laude' (3.7 GPA/Criminal Justice and Sociology), and M.A. (3.75 GPA/Criminal Justice). I received my B.A. and M.A. from Rutgers university Newark Campus. Currently I plan on taking the LSAT in October 2015 and I would love to get into Rutgers University School of Law-Newark Campus.

Score Admissions are the following for the entering class of 2014, (75% / 25% GPA: 3.54 / 3.05) (75% / 25% LSAT: 159 / 153). In the past I have taken tutor/prep courses and have scored below average on the GRE; however, I still managed to get into Grad school and graduate with a high GPA. My questions is; Can I get into Rutgers or any other Law School in NJ with a LSAT score of 150.

I was hoping that having earned my B.A. and M.A. at Rutgers Newark Campus, with my previous high GPA's, would off set my lower LSAT score. I plan on studying 4-5 months in advance but I know that scoring above a 155 is almost impossible for me. I have been a college student for many years and know my capabilities, so when it comes to standardized testing I don't do too well. Lastly, what do people recommend for courses in regards to studying for the LSAT.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you guys

UOI4430

Re: LSAT Score Advice

Postby UOI4430 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Don't go to Rutgers. You can easily score in the 160s maybe even 170s with several months of intense study. The "I'm terrible at standardized tests" excuse is soooooo played out. Believe in yourself. You can score in the upper 160s. Study hard, get a great LSAT score, and leave Rutgers behind for a much better school.

That said, I don't know your goals, and I'm just some stranger on the internet. But seriously, you are talking about paying sticker at Rutgers when you have the opportunity to get T-14 w/ money if you take the time to prepare yourself well for the LSAT.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Do you have a source of funding other than loans? GI Bill? Wealthy parents?

If not, and you truly can't break 155, you probably shouldn't go to law school. You won't get enough scholarship money to make attending a school like Rutgers a viable option.

That said, if you get a 3.7 in undergrad, you're absolutely capable of a decent LSAT score. Study smart and don't be afraid to wait a few years.

What is it you want to do with a JD, by the way? I'm just wondering because you mentioned being a student "for many years" which makes me wonder if you're a professional student collecting degrees for lack of a better idea.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Here2Study wrote:Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading over the past several days. I have a question for law school students or graduates, especially from Rutgers School of Law. Let me give you some quick academic background information of myself. I have an A.S. Degree, B.A. Degree 'Magna Cum Laude' (3.7 GPA/Criminal Justice and Sociology), and M.A. (3.75 GPA/Criminal Justice). I received my B.A. and M.A. from Rutgers university Newark Campus. Currently I plan on taking the LSAT in October 2015 and I would love to get into Rutgers University School of Law-Newark Campus.

Score Admissions are the following for the entering class of 2014, (75% / 25% GPA: 3.54 / 3.05) (75% / 25% LSAT: 159 / 153). In the past I have taken tutor/prep courses and have scored below average on the GRE; however, I still managed to get into Grad school and graduate with a high GPA. My questions is; Can I get into Rutgers or any other Law School in NJ with a LSAT score of 150.

I was hoping that having earned my B.A. and M.A. at Rutgers Newark Campus, with my previous high GPA's, would off set my lower LSAT score. I plan on studying 4-5 months in advance but I know that scoring above a 155 is almost impossible for me. I have been a college student for many years and know my capabilities, so when it comes to standardized testing I don't do too well. Lastly, what do people recommend for courses in regards to studying for the LSAT.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you guys

first of all this is in the wrong forum. ask a mod to move it for you.

If you can't break a 155 on the LSAT, you should just find something else to do with your life. But it sounds like you haven't even looked at any test material. It's not like other standardized tests. It's very learnable, granted you're willing to put in the work. Seems like your making excuses and pigeonholing yourself from the get-go.

I don't have any input on particular prep courses, other than everyone says Kaplan is fucking terrible. I wouldn't waste my money on a course though; I'd just buy the powerscore bibles and prep tests, and use the LSAT forum on TLS to find supplementary materials/help.

Also, job prospects are terrible in law, generally, and are terrible at the particular schools you are considering. It sounds like you're doing this because you have nothing else to do; that's a pretty terrible reason to go down this path. We're talking four years of work (~half year LSAT & ~half year bar prep), a lot of debt, and a lot of opportunity cost for a coin flip's chance at getting (low paying) work. The "sexy" outcomes, if that's what you're interested in, are available to a very small set of students at a very small set of schools. Even a 165 isn't good enough to give you a fighting chance at one of these schools. If you don't have a seriously compelling reason to do this, turn back now.

Here2Study

Postby Here2Study » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks 'UOI4430' for your input! To answer your question, 'TheSpanishMain,' I never was in the military, not wealthy, and still have student debt from my other degrees. Currently, I work as a Law Enforcement Officer but it is extremely low paying (I wont get into details). With a J.D. I have the following opportunities; become a full-time Professor (With a Masters it is only adjunct), or join the Prosecutors office as an attorney to help put criminals away, or military law, or work part time as a cop and practice law on the side with a private firm. I have 'been a student for many years' and have a love for learning and want to earn a professional Doctorate, which would be my last degree.

I am trying to keep my options open by taking the LSAT. Thanks 'zombie mcavoy' for your input as well. However, I look at the stats for those who earn a JD (source http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/lawyer/salary) and to me the money is not 'low paying". But everyone perceives things differently. To quantify things, if I earned $50,000 a year, I would still see a JD as something worth investing in. However, if I could not get a decent paying Lawyer job I can still teach criminal justice full-time, once i get the JD.

If you have any input please let me know guys, thanks!

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't think you have bad options. Perhaps a JD is the right choice for you. If you can get into a school with good employment prospects and at a low cost (75K or less), I would say go for it.

If you are satisfied with 50K a year that's great, but don't take 200K in debt (on top of your existing debt) to make 50K a year. You will get destroyed by your monthly loan payments.

Good luck Here2Study.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Don't pay any attention to that US News article. They are giving you the median for a group that is made-up overwhelmingly of established lawyers who graduated pre-Recession into a completely different legal world.

At $50K a year, you may NEVER be able to pay off sticker debt at current interest rates.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”