Getting a Law Firm Job in Southern Florida?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
The King

Getting a Law Firm Job in Southern Florida?

Postby The King » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Manifesto

Re: Getting a Law Firm Job in Southern Florida?

Postby Chris Manifesto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:20 pm

I've worked at a law firm in Coral Gables for 6 years and the general consensus amongst the attorneys at my firm is that employment here is largely based on nepotism. Not sure about Ft. Lauderdale or Palm Beach but that's how it is in Miami. Moreover, I recently had a conversation with young attorneys in my firm who have been to numerous interviews in the area and they claim they were never asked about their grades. In fact, one attorney said in 6 interviews he had he wasn't even asked where he graduated from. Not sure if that helps at all but that's what I've gathered living in the area.

charliekelly33

Re: Getting a Law Firm Job in Southern Florida?

Postby charliekelly33 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:27 pm

I was top 1/3 at Georgetown and I got a CB at 3 out of 4 of my Miami screeners, and I wasn't terribly interested in going there in the first place. The one I didn't get was a pretty small office too. Just sell your ties, work your 1L summer in FL, and get reasonable grades and you shouldn't have a problem. Good grades from a T14 and genuine interest in being in SoFla is a pretty good hire for most big firms down there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”