MPP/MPE --> JD/MPP

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gnomgnomuch

MPP/MPE --> JD/MPP

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I didn't know where to put my question, so I figured this would be the best place to do so, if the Mod's think of a better place, please move it.

So here is my situation:

I'm currently sitting with an offer from University College London for a masters of public policy. This degree would cost me about 55k, vs the 100+ I would have to take out for an MPP in the states. UCL is a great school, and I've spent time studying abroad in London, and would LOVE to go back. I've got no responsibilities in terms of family, and no debt from undergrad. I was an idiot my first 3 years of undergrad, and took no math/econ/quant classes, apart from financial calc 1 and 2 - originally a finance major, but I realized I would hate it very very quickly. I wised up, and took an econ course, and a statistical modeling course (focused on SPSS), and my "thesis" will be heavily focused on statistics. However, I'm not anywhere close to being very hire-able on that front, and my best bets would be to work as a paralegal for a few years, or transition full time into the non-profit I work at now - which I would really prefer to avoid, since I kinda hate it.

If I do the MPP, I would work for a few years and then pursue a JD. My ultimate goal would be to do regulatory work. From my research an MPP/JD combo would be very good. I've also got a 3.75 GPA and my highest LSAT practice score thus far has been a 168, but I'd continue studying until I was as sure as possible I could get a 170+, both for scholarship purposes and for chances at the top top schools.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Oxford (roughly 80k debt) and Edinburgh (roughly 55k debt) for MPP's. I'd prob take Oxford if I get in, as it's always been a dream school of mine.

My other option is this. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the London School of Economics on a masters in political economics. If I were to do an MPE (assuming I'll get in, I'd probably take the offer.) Again, I would work for a few years, and then go on to do either an MPP or a JD.

Don't know what I would do if I get both Oxford and LSE, but chances are slim that'll happen.

I'd prefer, at that point, an MPP most likely, but I'm not sure what would be better for regulatory work.

My reasoning for a JD over an MPP at that point would be:

1) JD would allow me to work big-law for a few years, and then transition into gov work, which would then allow me to transition into regulatory work.
2) Big-Law would allow me to pay off the debt I would have.

Advice would be really appreciated, though I know I haven't really asked a question. I'm a bit lost, and I've seen TLS really help people make the smartest decision possible.

Thanks in advance!

lurkerlarry

Re: MPP/MPE --> JD/MPP

Postby lurkerlarry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:19 pm

retake

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:56 am

What is the tangible benefit here beyond "I like England?"

Not that that's a bad thing, just wondering.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:45 pm

twenty wrote:What is the tangible benefit here beyond "I like England?"

Not that that's a bad thing, just wondering.

Well, first off, I'd get a masters in a relatively quantitative field - a lot of the classes i'll be taking will be econ/stats/policy analysis. Second, I'll get access to a world class university, for a lot cheaper than in America. 3rd, I want to do policy work - think tank, non profit, gov work, something along those lines, I don't know what it is yet, but I know it's in that field, this gives me a masters degree in the field, and provides me with the opportunity to break into it, in terms of getting a job.

Fourth - I really do love England, and when I studied there the first time I went, I dreamed about the opportunity to come back, now that's a reality.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:50 pm

A JD is only useful if you want to be a lawyer, and it sounds like you don't want to be a lawyer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:13 am

Literally none of those reasons suggest you should even remotely consider a JD. Short of that, do pretty much whatever you want because it will still be better for your career overall than a JD-not-practicing-law.

AOT

Postby AOT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am

How long have you been out of UG? Changes the calculus a bit if you've already been working for a while.

If LSE's MPE is one year then I'd take that if you get it. Oxford is a great university if you're looking to get deep into academics, but I get the feeling that LSE has an edge when it comes to training you for actual jobs and networking. Would also argue that a two year masters is a waste of time when you could get all the same benefits in one.

It also sounds like the JD is a pretty far away kind of plan for you. Which is great, because it gives you plenty of time to change your mind. I'd agree with whoever said that the best thing you can do before choosing a graduate degree is work for a few years to figure out what kind of degree (if any!) would be most helpful to you.

Waiting a couple of years before moving to the UK for graduate studies wouldn't be a bad idea here either if you haven't already - you can get policy/NGO jobs without stats experience. In fact hardly anyone I know doing that kind of work who's not directly in M&E does have stats experience. Going to grad school in the UK could also hurt rather than help in terms of networking, so it would be good to put some time into building connections here before you set off.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”