Conceal entrepreneurship to Firms?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDeezy

Conceal entrepreneurship to Firms?

Postby JDeezy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:39 pm

1L here.

I have my own business. It is nothing spectacular but is an actual cash flow positive enterprise that will one day hopefully be large enough for me to peace out on biglaw.

The business is in a field that is relevant to my biglaw story and part of an industry in which nearly every firm has a practice group. I'm proud of it, it makes me stand out, and shows that I have real business experience.

I'm wondering if this should be hidden/downplayed at all as it may seem like a red flag that I am going to bounce first chance I get?

I'm at CCNMVP if that matters.

Edit: I know it will be near impossible to do biglaw and run this business. My real goal is to grow the business during school so I never have to go to a firm. But I won't able to make that decision by the time OCI comes around this fall.

Re: Conceal entrepreneurship to Firms?

Postby 2014 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:25 pm

This seems like more of a positive (self starter, business minded, creative) than a negative (flight risk). I would not conceal.

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:05 pm

While I didn't always work full time while operating the business, it wouldn't leave a big blank in my resume/work history to leave the business out. It is the more impressive item on my resume however.

For that reason I don't want to hide it, but I could see how it would raise suspicions about how I plan on operating the biz while working big law.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:14 pm

JDeezy wrote:While I didn't always work full time while operating the business, it wouldn't leave a big blank in my resume/work history to leave the business out. It is the more impressive item on my resume however.

For that reason I don't want to hide it, but I could see how it would raise suspicions about how I plan on operating the biz while working big law.

How DO you plan to operate the biz while working big law? If you have a decent answer for this, I wouldnt conceal it. Firms are super concerned about getting "business-minded" people in law firms and I think this would work to your favor generally.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”