NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220

Bronze

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by k5220 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:46 pm

w0w wrote:Hey guys! So I just made the decision to attend NYU next year. I attended Michigan's preview weekend and had a couple questions from my experience there.

Are there any clinics avaliable to 1Ls?
What is the clerkship office like at NYU? Michigan seemed to have well established staff that really knew the different judges and could make great recommendations to students (and alumni) about which judges would be the best fit for them. They made it seem like this was very unique to Michigan though.
Also, are there scholarships avaliable for teaching assistantships??
You cannot take a clinic as a 1L, but there are plenty of chances to get substantive experience as a 1L through student groups like the Unemployment Action Center where you can represent clients in administrative hearings or the Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project where you can take on cases representing individuals seeking asylum.

The Judicial Clerkship Office here is really responsive, but I've heard some criticism that they prioritize students higher up in the class to the detriment of other students. I think there's plenty of institutional support here for students who want to clerk, and whether you can get a clerkship depends on a mix of your grades/other credentials and your flexibility/willingness to work outside major cities.

Research assistants are paid by the hour, but I think most teaching assistants just do it for school credit. There's the Furman Academic Scholars Program, a scholarship designed for people who want to go into academia, but that's a little different.

w0w

Silver

Post by w0w » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you so much! It sounds like he unemployment "clinic" at Michigan is probably similar to that program, which is great news!

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:52 am

What's the real effect of having LRW be ungraded? Can you basically put in minimal effort and focus your time on your other classes? Or is it still a significant workload, just without the stress of having a grade attached to your work? I'd assume the latter, but part of me just wants to believe that I can spend 95% of my time focusing on graded courses and not have to think about LRW for the most part. I'm really not a slacker or anything, I just don't want to be putting in unnecessary effort when that time could be better spent studying for graded courses.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:54 pm

qwerty125 wrote:What's the real effect of having LRW be ungraded? Can you basically put in minimal effort and focus your time on your other classes? Or is it still a significant workload, just without the stress of having a grade attached to your work? I'd assume the latter, but part of me just wants to believe that I can spend 95% of my time focusing on graded courses and not have to think about LRW for the most part. I'm really not a slacker or anything, I just don't want to be putting in unnecessary effort when that time could be better spent studying for graded courses.
It's still a significant workload. Writing a shitty brief is still writing a brief, and takes a pretty good amount of time/energy (although of course not nearly as much as if you were competing against other students to write a great brief). But really, it's not a class you want to slack off too much in, as it's pretty important. The written work you do in that class will probably be your only writing sample for a while.

The good news though is that it ends weeks before finals, so during the time you should be studying for your graded classes you don't have to do anything else. Really the work load 1L is not bad at all. There are only 3 graded classes each semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:34 pm

k5220 wrote:
qwerty125 wrote:What's the real effect of having LRW be ungraded? Can you basically put in minimal effort and focus your time on your other classes? Or is it still a significant workload, just without the stress of having a grade attached to your work? I'd assume the latter, but part of me just wants to believe that I can spend 95% of my time focusing on graded courses and not have to think about LRW for the most part. I'm really not a slacker or anything, I just don't want to be putting in unnecessary effort when that time could be better spent studying for graded courses.
It's still a significant workload. Writing a shitty brief is still writing a brief, and takes a pretty good amount of time/energy (although of course not nearly as much as if you were competing against other students to write a great brief). But really, it's not a class you want to slack off too much in, as it's pretty important. The written work you do in that class will probably be your only writing sample for a while.

The good news though is that it ends weeks before finals, so during the time you should be studying for your graded classes you don't have to do anything else. Really the work load 1L is not bad at all. There are only 3 graded classes each semester.
I hadn't thought about the writing sample aspect, that's definitely not something I'd want to half-ass. Thanks for the response!

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:25 pm

I've heard that Coles is being renovated over the summer, does anyone know if it's gonna be open by the beginning of the semester? Also, is Coles a decent gym? Or am I better off getting a membership to a gym nearby?

hecktate

New

Post by hecktate » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:56 am

+1 regarding availability of gyms in Mercer/D'ag or surrounding buildings available to law students.

Also, am I crazy to think I want to live off campus 1L year? Am I setting myself up to not have friends?

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Can anyone comment on the experience of applying for 1L cost of living loan advances?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

w0w

Silver

Post by w0w » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Skool wrote:Can anyone comment on the experience of applying for 1L cost of living loan advances?

Is this a thing? If so, I would like to know about it too.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

universityof

New

Post by universityof » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 pm

If I live in married students' housing, can I reasonably expect to use my own mattress? It's the one nice thing we own. Maybe a medium sized bookcase? Also, should I bring a bike?

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am

Skool wrote:Can anyone comment on the experience of applying for 1L cost of living loan advances?
+1

Also, I'm trying to decide at the moment between living around campus (somewhere within 25 minutes walking distance), and living somewhere cheaper e.g. Brooklyn. I'm especially interested to hear from people who've gone the Brooklyn route. How has the experience been? How much money do you think you've actually saved? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

docdoc

New

Post by docdoc » Fri May 08, 2015 10:14 am

Did you all live in the campus housing?

I'm looking at living in the campus housing next year and I'd love to hear stories as to whether y'all found it worth it or no. Is it possible to get cheaper within a 20-25 minute commute?

Also, how hard is the May 15 deadline? I'm planning to visit the campus before I deposit, and I won't be able to go until late next week.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Fri May 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w0w

Silver

Post by w0w » Wed May 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Can we assume this thread is now dead??

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 am

w0w wrote:Can we assume this thread is now dead??
Alive! If there are still questions!

eta: Sorry for missing some questions...finals got a bit in the way of life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 am

alloverthat wrote:
+1

Also, I'm trying to decide at the moment between living around campus (somewhere within 25 minutes walking distance), and living somewhere cheaper e.g. Brooklyn. I'm especially interested to hear from people who've gone the Brooklyn route. How has the experience been? How much money do you think you've actually saved? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
Still interested in answers to these, if anyone here has them?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 21, 2015 10:06 am

alloverthat wrote:
alloverthat wrote:
+1

Thanks!
I don't have any experience with loan advances, but my experience with loans in general has been things are pretty easy. I'd send an email to NYU's financial people and ask them. It's a busy time of year, but they are there to help.

I lived on campus, so this is just anecdotal. A friend who lived way out in Brooklyn saved a ton of money, but also had to deal with a 45-60 minute commute every day, which can be rough on a 1L especially since you tend to have early classes AND the social life tends to center around campus. (ETA: "tends" to center around campus, but plenty of people have social lives all over the city. But a decent number of 1Ls live on campus, and most of the bar reviews are near campus.)

That said, it's totally doable for a lot of people. You just have to be aware that the commute might be frustrating sometimes. But you could save significant money.

As to living within 25 minutes walking distance, maybe check out the East Village? It's a great area and it's possible to save money (relative to living on campus, at least).

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
alloverthat wrote:
alloverthat wrote:
+1

Thanks!
I don't have any experience with loan advances, but my experience with loans in general has been things are pretty easy. I'd send an email to NYU's financial people and ask them. It's a busy time of year, but they are there to help.

I lived on campus, so this is just anecdotal. A friend who lived way out in Brooklyn saved a ton of money, but also had to deal with a 45-60 minute commute every day, which can be rough on a 1L especially since you tend to have early classes AND the social life tends to center around campus. (ETA: "tends" to center around campus, but plenty of people have social lives all over the city. But a decent number of 1Ls live on campus, and most of the bar reviews are near campus.)

That said, it's totally doable for a lot of people. You just have to be aware that the commute might be frustrating sometimes. But you could save significant money.

As to living within 25 minutes walking distance, maybe check out the East Village? It's a great area and it's possible to save money (relative to living on campus, at least).
Thank you for your answers! An hour commute sounds like a lot for the first year..

I'm starting to think that the financial district might be a good option? It's a bit cheaper, and easily bikeable

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue May 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Also, how often and well attended are bar revues? I saw that there are tickets to shows and things on the NYU student site. Do they tend to offer any discounts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu May 28, 2015 11:23 am

Man, I haven't been on here in forever! But I'll answer a few Q's that haven't been answered yet (in lieu of actually writing this competition BS).

I lived in the Upper West for 1L, on the 1/2/3, and the commute was about 30 minutes door to door. I was commuting during rush hour in the AM, which sucks, but as long as you anticipate the inevitable train delays, it's not bad. I didn't find living off campus to be problematic in making friends and/or socializing...you're generally on campus from 9-6 anyway, not including night events. I'm certainly saving a lot of money compared to D'Ag/Mercer (which can run around 2k if I'm not mistaken), but then again, I'm sharing a 1b, so it's not a fair comparison.

For cost of living, I'd recommend actually doing the calculations - and then add 3k on top of whatever number you come up with. I didn't take out enough for my first semester, and it was stressful having to watch my money, and then put tons on the credit card.

Don't know much about married housing...but living in any NYU housing makes bringing your own furniture next to impossible. At least in Mercer/D'Ag, you can't even bring your own bed - but a mattress might be possible. I'd call and ask.

I only went to a few bar reviews (not much of a night owl, and pretty domestic w/ my lady at home), but they are ridiculously well attended. Enough so that the drink tickets run out quickly. I'd say the first two or three per semester have 300+ there - and of course the post-finals bonanza is ridiculous.

As for Coles, and gym situation - yes, they're knocking it down this summer supposedly, though I haven't heard about the specific date. Love/hate Coles...I play basketball and lift there 3-4 times a week...it's hot, with limited AC, but it's huge and close to the school. When Coles gets knocked down, everyone will be going up to Palladium, which is much smaller, and is filled with the undergrads (it's up on E14th). So that's not so fun. I haven't heard anything about a replacement or temporary gym, and Coles will be out of commission until 2020 (they're building a dorm on top of it).

I know there are discounts for Broadway tickets for students, but I haven't used them.

Anyway, will be on here to procrastinate for a few days, so I'll answer any Q's I can.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm

alloverthat wrote:Also, how often and well attended are bar revues? I saw that there are tickets to shows and things on the NYU student site. Do they tend to offer any discounts?
Bar review is usually pretty well-attended, although I think it depends a bit on the location. The ones closer to campus usually had better attendance. Also, the ones earlier in the semester are busier than the ones later in the semester.

There are discounted tickets to things all the time. A lot of them have limited tickets so I think you have to be quick about it, but if you're paying attention and sign up for the right e-mails, you can get discounted sports and entertainment tickets.

newforllm

New

Post by newforllm » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 pm

If they don't get a temporary gym, does anyone have any thoughts on any of the private gyms? I've been looking at NYSC and Equinox. Anyone have any thoughts on either of those or other options around the law school? Also, is there a spot near NYU for running (similar to the spot around the reservoir in Central Park)?

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 pm

newforllm wrote:If they don't get a temporary gym, does anyone have any thoughts on any of the private gyms? I've been looking at NYSC and Equinox. Anyone have any thoughts on either of those or other options around the law school? Also, is there a spot near NYU for running (similar to the spot around the reservoir in Central Park)?
There's a NYSC a few blocks from the school, and literally right next to one of the dorms (Mercer) - it's slightly better than basic, with plenty of cardio equipment, but as always, somewhat skimpy if you're into weights...though they do actually have bumper plates, which is somewhat shocking. Equinox will cost you 3x as much, but they're ridiculously nice. There's not one super close to the school, however.

As for running, a lot of people run along the west side highway, but as I don't know much more than that. There was a track on top of Coles, but obviously that will be gone. I think there's a very small indoor track at Palladium.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”