NYU 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby k5220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Is it still the case that your Dean's Scholarships will be reduced by 50% in your 3L year if you do a 2L SA?

I think they phrase it as an increase if you do a public interest summer 2L, but yes, scholarship amount depends on your 2L job (so with a 2L public interest job it would be 40K 1L, 40K 2L, 40K 3L, and with a 2L SA it would be 40K 1L, 40K 2L, 20K 3L, or whatever)

theothercat

Postby theothercat » Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 am

Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu May 04, 2017 11:34 am

theothercat wrote:Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?

1Ls don't get to choose their classes (except for a spring elective and potentially a reading group if you opt-in to that). You'll find out which section you're in before orientation - usually late July or early August - and then you would pick your spring elective later in fall.

theothercat

Postby theothercat » Thu May 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
theothercat wrote:Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?

1Ls don't get to choose their classes (except for a spring elective and potentially a reading group if you opt-in to that). You'll find out which section you're in before orientation - usually late July or early August - and then you would pick your spring elective later in fall.

Thank you!

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

Slytherpuff wrote:

How does one go about joining a reading group? Is that something we'll be explicitly asked if we want to join, or do we have to seek out the info ourselves? (I am actually super interested in joining one :D)

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri May 05, 2017 11:00 am

airwrecka wrote:How does one go about joining a reading group? Is that something we'll be explicitly asked if we want to join, or do we have to seek out the info ourselves? (I am actually super interested in joining one :D)

You should get more information either during orientation! They'll tell you everything you need to know and make it very easy for you to sign up for one.

I'm not sure if they're changing the format at all this year, but basically a bunch of professors teach fun ungraded seminars that meet 2-3 times per semester and around 10 students enroll in each. It's a great way to get to know a professor outside of your 1L classes and learn about something interesting that is vaguely law-related. I ended up RAing for the professor whose 1L reading group I took. Here's a link with more information about last year's offerings: http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... ggroups/1l

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”