NYU 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby k5220 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 pm

miku015 wrote:Does anyone that's taken Sharkey for Torts before know if it's worth purchasing the optional texts that she has on reserve @ the library? There's quite a few and I'm not sure how useful they are.

For the most part they really are optional, and Sharkey arranges a BUNCH of other stuff for you to do throughout the year (particularly going through practice problems with a TA for an hour or so outside of class each week) - you will be busy enough without the additional torts stories reading. You might find yourself wanting a supplement part way through the year, and then you can buy one of the books from her optional list if you find it necessary, but there's really no reason to buy everything in advance.

User avatar
miku015
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:03 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby miku015 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am

k5220 wrote:
miku015 wrote:Does anyone that's taken Sharkey for Torts before know if it's worth purchasing the optional texts that she has on reserve @ the library? There's quite a few and I'm not sure how useful they are.

For the most part they really are optional, and Sharkey arranges a BUNCH of other stuff for you to do throughout the year (particularly going through practice problems with a TA for an hour or so outside of class each week) - you will be busy enough without the additional torts stories reading. You might find yourself wanting a supplement part way through the year, and then you can buy one of the books from her optional list if you find it necessary, but there's really no reason to buy everything in advance.


Good to know, thanks! It seemed a bit excessive for even law school standards to have to buy and read 10 books for a single class...

User avatar
darlenealderson
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby darlenealderson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Orientation dress code help?

Also, any tips on Torts with Geistfeld, CivPro with Hershkoff, and/or Crim with Murphy?

cavalier1138
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Any current students know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed if you have them set up to deposit directly to your bank account? My bursar account shows that the refund executed today, but I'm definitely not seeing anything yet. Is it dependent on your bank?

Edit: Never mind. Bursar just e-mailed the answer to everyone. This message definitely not brought to you by the last $50 in my checking account.

User avatar
BuddyHoller
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby BuddyHoller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Any current students know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed if you have them set up to deposit directly to your bank account? My bursar account shows that the refund executed today, but I'm definitely not seeing anything yet. Is it dependent on your bank?

Edit: Never mind. Bursar just e-mailed the answer to everyone. This message definitely not brought to you by the last $50 in my checking account.


My bank usually takes a day, but yeah, it's probably dependent on the institution.

User avatar
cbbinnyc
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:49 am

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby cbbinnyc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:59 pm

There's some really good info on Sharkey on page 6 of this thread. If anybody out there has insights about Geoffrey Miller for Civ Pro (particularly what his final exams are like ... can't seem to find anything out there so far) that would be excellent. Also interested in Richard R.W. Brooks for Contracts, though he's a visiting prof from Columbia so maybe I'll have more luck in a Columbia thread. Thanks in advance!

ETA: Turns out there are a couple old G. Miller exams on the NYU Exam Archive, both look pretty straightforward ... they are from 2005 and 2004, but I guess it's unlikely he changed his exam approach drastically?

petitprince
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

clueless801
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby clueless801 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Two questions:

1. If I were to attend NYU, I'd be living at home in Queens (think Forest Hills) area and commuting about an hour to class. The actual commute isn't my concern - I had to travel to high school in lower Manhattan which was an hour if I was lucky. But I have to ask - are there any drawbacks to me living farther out?

2. Anyone here have experience w/ doing dual degree programs AND wanting to do OCI/BigLaw? I've seen posts on TLS about first years completing their dual degree, or others who chose to give it up entirely. I don't have a particularly good reason, and I still don't know much about what having that degree entails in the long run, but I wanted to ask anyway.

cavalier1138
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 pm

clueless801 wrote:Two questions:

1. If I were to attend NYU, I'd be living at home in Queens (think Forest Hills) area and commuting about an hour to class. The actual commute isn't my concern - I had to travel to high school in lower Manhattan which was an hour if I was lucky. But I have to ask - are there any drawbacks to me living farther out?

2. Anyone here have experience w/ doing dual degree programs AND wanting to do OCI/BigLaw? I've seen posts on TLS about first years completing their dual degree, or others who chose to give it up entirely. I don't have a particularly good reason, and I still don't know much about what having that degree entails in the long run, but I wanted to ask anyway.


1. Aside from the commute, no. Just realize that you are going to be travelling much later at night, so that may affect your ability to take some subway lines.

2. I don't have this experience, but I know almost all JD/MBAs go to big firms. What would your second degree be in?

clueless801
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby clueless801 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Two questions:

1. If I were to attend NYU, I'd be living at home in Queens (think Forest Hills) area and commuting about an hour to class. The actual commute isn't my concern - I had to travel to high school in lower Manhattan which was an hour if I was lucky. But I have to ask - are there any drawbacks to me living farther out?

2. Anyone here have experience w/ doing dual degree programs AND wanting to do OCI/BigLaw? I've seen posts on TLS about first years completing their dual degree, or others who chose to give it up entirely. I don't have a particularly good reason, and I still don't know much about what having that degree entails in the long run, but I wanted to ask anyway.


1. Aside from the commute, no. Just realize that you are going to be travelling much later at night, so that may affect your ability to take some subway lines.

2. I don't have this experience, but I know almost all JD/MBAs go to big firms. What would your second degree be in?


The LLM in International Law. I'm very interested in International Arbitration, and wanted to be competitive with those with European law degrees. Some of the bios that I've seen of those who work in the field have that extra LLM if they were American school educated.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2304
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:07 pm

You can easily get a job with a firm that does a lot of IA without the LLM. I'd say to save your money and not worry about it.

cavalier1138
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:You can easily get a job with a firm that does a lot of IA without the LLM. I'd say to save your money and not worry about it.


This is absolutely accurate.

Also, unless I'm mis-remembering, NYU doesn't even allow you to apply for the JD/LLM until you've been here for a year. So I wouldn't focus on that right now.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests