NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220

Bronze

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by k5220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Is it still the case that your Dean's Scholarships will be reduced by 50% in your 3L year if you do a 2L SA?
I think they phrase it as an increase if you do a public interest summer 2L, but yes, scholarship amount depends on your 2L job (so with a 2L public interest job it would be 40K 1L, 40K 2L, 40K 3L, and with a 2L SA it would be 40K 1L, 40K 2L, 20K 3L, or whatever)

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 am

Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu May 04, 2017 11:34 am

theothercat wrote:Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?
1Ls don't get to choose their classes (except for a spring elective and potentially a reading group if you opt-in to that). You'll find out which section you're in before orientation - usually late July or early August - and then you would pick your spring elective later in fall.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu May 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
theothercat wrote:Would someone mind giving a little outline of the 1L course registration process and timeline? I.e. before orientation or during?
1Ls don't get to choose their classes (except for a spring elective and potentially a reading group if you opt-in to that). You'll find out which section you're in before orientation - usually late July or early August - and then you would pick your spring elective later in fall.
Thank you!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
How does one go about joining a reading group? Is that something we'll be explicitly asked if we want to join, or do we have to seek out the info ourselves? (I am actually super interested in joining one :D)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 05, 2017 11:00 am

airwrecka wrote:How does one go about joining a reading group? Is that something we'll be explicitly asked if we want to join, or do we have to seek out the info ourselves? (I am actually super interested in joining one :D)
You should get more information either during orientation! They'll tell you everything you need to know and make it very easy for you to sign up for one.

I'm not sure if they're changing the format at all this year, but basically a bunch of professors teach fun ungraded seminars that meet 2-3 times per semester and around 10 students enroll in each. It's a great way to get to know a professor outside of your 1L classes and learn about something interesting that is vaguely law-related. I ended up RAing for the professor whose 1L reading group I took. Here's a link with more information about last year's offerings: http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... ggroups/1l

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:52 am

Bumping for this cycle.

porzingis3

New

Post by porzingis3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Would any current student be willing to talk a little bit about the social life at NYU?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 pm

porzingis3 wrote:Would any current student be willing to talk a little bit about the social life at NYU?
Sure. What do you want to know?

*Disclaimer: I think that social life should be around the absolute bottom of your list when considering where to attend, because it's going to be largely based on you, not the school. But I'm happy to answer specific questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lowyo

New

Post by lowyo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 pm

How's the housing situation? Do most get their own places or use university housing? Thoughts on studio apartment vs shared apartments? Also, what made you select NYU?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 am

lowyo wrote:How's the housing situation? Do most get their own places or use university housing? Thoughts on studio apartment vs shared apartments? Also, what made you select NYU?
I'm not sure on the numbers, but I think that more than half of students use the university housing. It's an advantage to be closer to school, but you pay way more money than you should for what is essentially a glorified dorm. The cost part of that can be defrayed by rooming with people; prices for the studio and 1BR units are absurd. The other major plus of university housing (for at least your 1L year) is that the process of finding an apartment in NYC is fucking awful.

I selected NYU because I was a splitter, and thanks to the wonders of unpredictable scholarship offers, they turned out to be the most cost-effective choice for my goals. In terms of secondary concerns, the school has an extremely strong PI culture (fair warning, they don't really highlight how strongly biased that culture is toward public defense over government service), and it's an awesome place for anyone interested in international human rights work. And for biglaw, pretty much everyone who really wants it gets it. You have to have pretty poor grades and/or a really bad list of firms to miss the boat during EIW.

porzingis3

New

Post by porzingis3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
porzingis3 wrote:Would any current student be willing to talk a little bit about the social life at NYU?
Sure. What do you want to know?

*Disclaimer: I think that social life should be around the absolute bottom of your list when considering where to attend, because it's going to be largely based on you, not the school. But I'm happy to answer specific questions.
Yeah I’m definitely not choosing schools based on their social lives but it’s still a factor although a small one. I was just curious what it’s like considering NYU doesn’t really have a campus and the class size is so large. Like looking at Duke for example with their small class size and campus it seems like people would be closer there and more likely to socialize than NYU or am I off? I just wonder if people feel isolated going to NYU. If you could just talk a little bit about those aspects I’d really appreciate it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 pm

porzingis3 wrote:Yeah I’m definitely not choosing schools based on their social lives but it’s still a factor although a small one. I was just curious what it’s like considering NYU doesn’t really have a campus and the class size is so large. Like looking at Duke for example with their small class size and campus it seems like people would be closer there and more likely to socialize than NYU or am I off? I just wonder if people feel isolated going to NYU. If you could just talk a little bit about those aspects I’d really appreciate it.
I think it'll largely depend on your temperament. But I imagine it's easier to not attend every social event because of the location. There are plenty of social events every week, but thanks to class size, I think you're likely to find smaller groups of people you like to hang out with (unless you're unusually sociable). You'll also find that living on campus makes it easier to attend events, but I know plenty of people living in Brooklyn who make it out to bar review.

I don't think you'll ever be in danger of feeling isolated. There are too many students and too many opportunities to get to know other people for that to happen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

porzingis3

New

Post by porzingis3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
porzingis3 wrote:Yeah I’m definitely not choosing schools based on their social lives but it’s still a factor although a small one. I was just curious what it’s like considering NYU doesn’t really have a campus and the class size is so large. Like looking at Duke for example with their small class size and campus it seems like people would be closer there and more likely to socialize than NYU or am I off? I just wonder if people feel isolated going to NYU. If you could just talk a little bit about those aspects I’d really appreciate it.
I think it'll largely depend on your temperament. But I imagine it's easier to not attend every social event because of the location. There are plenty of social events every week, but thanks to class size, I think you're likely to find smaller groups of people you like to hang out with (unless you're unusually sociable). You'll also find that living on campus makes it easier to attend events, but I know plenty of people living in Brooklyn who make it out to bar review.

I don't think you'll ever be in danger of feeling isolated. There are too many students and too many opportunities to get to know other people for that to happen.
Okay thanks for that. Would you also speak a little bit about the sections? I tried to look into this but couldn't find much on it. How is the class broken up for 1Ls?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

porzingis3 wrote:Okay thanks for that. Would you also speak a little bit about the sections? I tried to look into this but couldn't find much on it. How is the class broken up for 1Ls?
Sections are chosen randomly, but everyone inevitably starts assigning reputations to them (the gunner section, the hippie section, etc.). You'll take all your mandatory 1L doctrinal classes with your section, and a smaller group of you will be in Lawyering together. Your 1L elective is taken with students from all five sections.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 am

porzingis3 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Okay thanks for that. Would you also speak a little bit about the sections? I tried to look into this but couldn't find much on it. How is the class broken up for 1Ls?
Hi! Chiming in to say that all of the above is 100% correct- it's really what you make of it. Living on campus = easy access to other students and bar review, but half the people in my study group live in Brooklyn and have had no trouble forming friendships/going to events they prioritize. Bottom line: if you like to go out, you'll find a crowd. If you like to stay in on Friday nights and play board games, there's a club for that. It's relatively easy to find your people. :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 am

porzingis3 wrote:
I'm also a 1L at NYU so I'll chime into provide some input.

From everything I can tell, NYU is super social, especially for the students who live on campus. I live in Brooklyn and I don't attend that many events, but that's 100% my choice (I'm married, have a dog, and like to go to bed early -- what can I say?) - there is still tons to get involved with if I wanted to.

Sections are about ~90 students each and you have your 3 doctrinal classes with your entire section. For Lawyering (our legal methods class), you're in a smaller sub-section of about 30 students (who are all also in your larger section). My Lawyering section became close really fast and if I'm ever feeling like I want someone to hang out with, I know any of them are game.

Overall, I think it's really easy to meet people and make friends at NYU. I find the culture to be very social and everyone is very friendly. I have yet to meet someone that I even moderately dislike.

As for why I chose NYU:
-PI culture/emphasis (although be forewarned: it's definitely true that public defense appears to be much more important than government work and the public interest career center and the private career center have a strange competition thing going on, which is annoying if you're not totally 100% set on what you want to do after graduating)
-Location: I knew that I wouldn't have to leave NYC during the summers if I didn't want to and I could find almost any type of job opportunity I could ask for here. Not to mention there is a never-ending list of things to do in the city, and due to its location in a huge city, NYU's student groups can provide "real world" experiences in the community really easily (different immigration outreach opportunities, a suspension representation project with high school students, homelessness advocacy work, prison reform advocacy stuff, etc)
-Placement: I knew that if I went to NYU, it would be very likely that I will get a job :lol:
-Scholarship: while I didn't get more $$ from NYU than anywhere else, I still got a good enough scholarship that it was affordable to attend
-Faculty: it's really cool to be surrounded by brilliant faculty all the time!
-CLINICS: there are so many more clinic opportunities at NYU than any other (peer) law school, and I loved that. I felt like no matter what I was interested in, there is a clinic to get involved in.
-Overall ~vibe~: while it's true the "vibe" or culture of a school is not something you should prioritize, I just felt like I "fit in" when I visited NYU (compared to other schools I visited) and I could really picture myself here. I really liked all the students/faculty/staff I interacted with when I visited, and that sold me on NYU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyc4life

New

Post by nyc4life » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 am

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum or if anyone can be of help but might as well give it a shot....

Just got accepted to NYU, and I am planning on attending next year. I went to undergrad in the city (graduated May '17), and am now working here for the year until law school, so this is going to be my 5th year living here. I am debating between living with current friends on the UWS or moving into the law apt dorms downtown. Can any 1Ls weigh in? i.e. How important is it to be living on campus? Will I be missing out on much if I don't? How late do people stay up studying in the library? Will a 30 minute commute uptown be a huge pain?

Obviously, there is no right answer but would love to hear if anyone went through a similar decision process and what your outcome was (and if you're happy with it?).

**not making a financial-based decision, more of a social and what's in my best academic interest decision

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:49 pm

nyc4life wrote:Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum or if anyone can be of help but might as well give it a shot....

Just got accepted to NYU, and I am planning on attending next year. I went to undergrad in the city (graduated May '17), and am now working here for the year until law school, so this is going to be my 5th year living here. I am debating between living with current friends on the UWS or moving into the law apt dorms downtown. Can any 1Ls weigh in? i.e. How important is it to be living on campus? Will I be missing out on much if I don't? How late do people stay up studying in the library? Will a 30 minute commute uptown be a huge pain?

Obviously, there is no right answer but would love to hear if anyone went through a similar decision process and what your outcome was (and if you're happy with it?).

**not making a financial-based decision, more of a social and what's in my best academic interest decision
If the difference in price is negligible or a non-issue for you, then I would say living in Hayden/D'Ag as a 1L is a good idea. I'm living on the UWS now, and the ~30 min commute is slightly annoying. But if you like where you're living now and the people you're living with, you should stay put. Familiarity and comfort will go a long way. It's definitely not much of a hindrance socially or academically to live off campus. You won't be missing out on anything, and there are advantages to being able to escape the law school bubble when you need to.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

nyc4life wrote:Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum or if anyone can be of help but might as well give it a shot....

Can't really speak to the inconveniences of commuting, but I can say that living on-campus 1L has been amazing. For me, it was a no-brainer: I had never been to NYC, was coming from the west coast, didn't know anyone in town, etc. Those don't apply to you but even so, I still think it's a great choice, assuming you can afford it (I can't stress this enough- my rent is way higher than I'm comfortable with). I live in D'Ag which is right across the street from the law school and MAN is it convenient for both school-related and social activities. Hayden is just a few blocks off. Not having to worry about timing trains right/being able to run back to my room in case I forget something (happens more than I care to admit) has been invaluable. All that being said, I don't think anyone here would say that it's necessary by any means, or even extremely important. :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:25 pm

My commute is longer than yours would be (it takes me 45-60 min to get to school), and overall, I don't regret it. You say you're not making a financial-based decision, but I do think it's something very important to consider. While I don't have the convenience of being close to school, I have a HUGE apartment and I'm paying less than I would be if I were living in a tiny campus apartment. Also, I like getting out of Manhattan after the end of a long day/on the weekends (I live in Brooklyn).

That being said, being on campus would be really convenient sometimes (especially if you're going to try to make food for yourself and not eat out all the time -- it's super annoying for me to have to carry a giant bag all the time so that I have all my crap with me--including 1 or 2 meals at all times). Also, Greenwich Village and the area around campus is just a really fun place to be, and I wish I took more advantage of it, but it's hard when I know I have a decent commute before I can get home.

I think if finances are truly not a consideration at all (which I think is very unlikely for almost everyone, but you never know I guess), then you should live on campus. But otherwise, the nice parts of living off-campus outweigh the expense (and convenience) of NYU housing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:

My commute is longer than yours would be (it takes me 45-60 min to get to school), and overall, I don't regret it. You say you're not making a financial-based decision, but I do think it's something very important to consider. While I don't have the convenience of being close to school, I have a HUGE apartment and I'm paying less than I would be if I were living in a tiny campus apartment. Also, I like getting out of Manhattan after the end of a long day/on the weekends (I live in Brooklyn).

That being said, being on campus would be really convenient sometimes (especially if you're going to try to make food for yourself and not eat out all the time -- it's super annoying for me to have to carry a giant bag all the time so that I have all my crap with me--including 1 or 2 meals at all times). Also, Greenwich Village and the area around campus is just a really fun place to be, and I wish I took more advantage of it, but it's hard when I know I have a decent commute before I can get home.

I think if finances are truly not a consideration at all (which I think is very unlikely for almost everyone, but you never know I guess), then you should live on campus. But otherwise, the nice parts of living off-campus outweigh the expense (and convenience) of NYU housing.
I will also chip in here and say that I'm in a living situation in between sorence and airwrecka's. I live off-campus, but I live in the East Village, which is a 10-15 minute walk from campus. I have all the convenience of being near campus (can go home for meals and pop back easily for bar review), but also the benefits of being off-campus. When finals rolled around and I found being on campus to be incredibly stressful, I could just leave. And leaving campus puts a bit of "finality" on your day -- once you leave, you've left, so you can stop working. Plus I got a locker, which has been vital for the preservation of my spine. If money is truly not a consideration, I would consider looking for an off-campus apartment within walking distance/one metro stop.

lawstud24

New

Post by lawstud24 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm

hi! hoping to get some help. may someone please send me oren bar-gill’s law, economics and psychology exams for fall 2012/spring 2013 and spring 2014? he used to be a prof at NYU, and I’m trying to access his old exams. please pm me - thanks so much!

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 am

lawstud24 wrote:hi! hoping to get some help. may someone please send me oren bar-gill’s law, economics and psychology exams for fall 2012/spring 2013 and spring 2014? he used to be a prof at NYU, and I’m trying to access his old exams. please pm me - thanks so much!
I checked our archive and unfortunately it doesn't look like he submitted any of his past exams to the collection. Best of luck!

lawstud24

New

Post by lawstud24 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm

sittykitty wrote:
lawstud24 wrote:hi! hoping to get some help. may someone please send me oren bar-gill’s law, economics and psychology exams for fall 2012/spring 2013 and spring 2014? he used to be a prof at NYU, and I’m trying to access his old exams. please pm me - thanks so much!
I checked our archive and unfortunately it doesn't look like he submitted any of his past exams to the collection. Best of luck!
Good to know, thanks so much for your help anyway!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”