NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cavalier1138

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Synch wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Class schedules are out, and I'm on my "sabbatical" before school starts. So of course, I have nothing better to do than get excited about classes starting. So my main classes (Lawyering hasn't been added yet) are:

Torts with Fox
CivPro with Miller and Sexton
Contracts with Gillette

Any good stories or tips about these profs?
Fox couldn't be nicer, but my god, not a good teacher. She's an antitrust teacher who got roped into torts.

Never heard of Gillette. Maybe a new prof?
I'm seeing a pattern with Fox... any advice for how to do well in her class? Supplements?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:48 pm

beckett wrote: Procedure - Samuel Issacharoff
My roommate had Issacharoff and adored him.

Seemed to be a great class, though I will say they took forever to get to personal jurisdiction and didn't spend much time on it--which was a month long part of the course in my class. So maybe just a heads up?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:58 pm

I have

Procedure- Neuborne
Criminal Law- Taylor-Thompson
Torts- Sprigman

Any insights?

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:I have

Procedure- Neuborne
Criminal Law- Taylor-Thompson
Torts- Sprigman

Any insights?
Neuborne is not my favorite prof. He draws strange diagrams on the board in every class and likes to tell stories. It's like story time with Uncle/Grandpa Burt. I mean, he's a nice guy, but my friends and I felt like.we had to teach ourselves civ pro.

Taylor-Thompson aka KTT is AMAZING. Very clear at teaching and really inspiring. She definitely has her own opinions on certain matters (the death penalty is a big one) but she's so passionate, it was great to.learn from her. She is also sensitive to certain topics, like rape--she'll go over it, but likely won't test on it as to not trigger anyone during the high stress of taking a final exam. It seems like everyone learns all the material thoroughly in her class, so the curve is extra tight. I would recommend participating in class and meeting with her in office hours as she's a prof that will bump up your grade if you participate. She's by far my favorite professor from 1L.

Neither KTT nor Neuborne cold call.

Idk Sprigman.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:06 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Synch wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Class schedules are out, and I'm on my "sabbatical" before school starts. So of course, I have nothing better to do than get excited about classes starting. So my main classes (Lawyering hasn't been added yet) are:

Torts with Fox
Contracts with Gillette

Fox couldn't be nicer, but my god, not a good teacher. She's an antitrust teacher who got roped into torts.

I'm seeing a pattern with Fox... any advice for how to do well in her class? Supplements?
IMO, torts is the easiest law school course. The law is relatively settled, the cases are (generally) older, more dense, and have been thoroughly analyzed by people a million times over. Normally, this would make me say you don't need a supplement...but with Fox? I'd get one (Emmanuels? Unsure what's good). She may not be the most clear professor, but she's not going to try to hide the ball. I think the supplements would be useful just to skim and make sure you're understanding big concepts. I doubt you'll need an E+E to work through problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh, and just because torts may be easy does NOT mean you'll do well. It'll be easy for everyone else too.

(Maybe an obvious point, but I felt I should say it anyway)

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

username8112

New

Post by username8112 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 pm

beckett wrote:Would love any insight you guys have about the below professors!

Torts - Christopher Tarver Robertson
Procedure - Samuel Issacharoff
Contracts - Florencia Marotta

Thanks!
I have the same exact professors. What section are you in?

I would also love some insight for those who have taken these professors. Thanks!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Synch wrote:

Torts with Fox
Contracts with Gillette

I taught myself Torts using the E&E, supplemented by not only old outlines by those who had done well in the class but also Fox's PPTs and PTs.

It didn't end well for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Widdle_Dumpling

New

Post by Widdle_Dumpling » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:19 am

Is there a to-do list anywhere before Orientation? It seems like there's a few things to do, all scattered around the different sites (turn in medical paperwork, etc.) I'm just worried I'm going to miss some deadline or another.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Widdle_Dumpling wrote:Is there a to-do list anywhere before Orientation? It seems like there's a few things to do, all scattered around the different sites (turn in medical paperwork, etc.) I'm just worried I'm going to miss some deadline or another.
Admitted students site. Click "Enrolling at NYU" on the left side of the page.

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:14 pm

username8112 wrote:
beckett wrote:Would love any insight you guys have about the below professors!

Torts - Christopher Tarver Robertson
Procedure - Samuel Issacharoff
Contracts - Florencia Marotta

Thanks!
I have the same exact professors. What section are you in?

I would also love some insight for those who have taken these professors. Thanks!
+1

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Does the law school celebrate Columbus Day/Fall Break? I don't see that date included in the academic calendar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:14 pm

kumquat3 wrote:Does the law school celebrate Columbus Day/Fall Break? I don't see that date included in the academic calendar.
There's no fall break or time off for Columbus Day (or Veterans' Day either, actually).

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:45 am

Loving the comments about professors! Mine are:

Torts: Catherine Sharkey
Civ Pro: Geoffrey Miller (saw that he's a legend, so that's pretty cool)
Contracts: Richard Rexford & Wayne Brooks

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
kumquat3 wrote:Does the law school celebrate Columbus Day/Fall Break? I don't see that date included in the academic calendar.
There's no fall break or time off for Columbus Day (or Veterans' Day either, actually).
Wow, uncool. Alright, have some family obligations to work out. Thanks for the reply!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Quick question about budgeting:

The Financial Aid site shows that our expected budget for books is $1300 for the year. The books for my first semester alone are $1000+ if I buy them all new through the store. That seems... off. Is this a standard experience for those of you who are financing through loans? And is the expectation that we find used copies through the student exchange?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Quick question about budgeting:

The Financial Aid site shows that our expected budget for books is $1300 for the year. The books for my first semester alone are $1000+ if I buy them all new through the store. That seems... off. Is this a standard experience for those of you who are financing through loans? And is the expectation that we find used copies through the student exchange?
The store on campus has used copies too, but it's definitely a good idea to take advantage of the student exchange and Amazon. (If you don't order early enough from Amazon, the library will have the books you need on reference, and it's not too hard to copy the assigned readings until your books show up.)

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

The new copies on Amazon are usually pretty decently priced compared to the bookstore. I usually get mine for about $170ish depending on the seller!

I think cheapest option if you want an unmarked book is to use Coases (the NYU Law listserv) and target people who didn't highlight/underline their books at all. There are always a few pristine copies floating out there for ~$100ish.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks, guys (and/or gals). It's been a while since I was in undergrad, so I'd forgotten the joys of textbook purchasing. It's all coming back to me now.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Does OCS give us free mail merge access from NALP?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silverdoe91

Bronze

Post by silverdoe91 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:54 am

What LSAT score do you have to have to get the AnBryce scholarship? Is there some required standard?

jessuan

New

Post by jessuan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 am

Kind of an intricate question.

I deferred NYU to fall 2017 and I know that I have to re-apply for financial aid. I'm sort of worried about the re-application process because there's no guarantee that I'll get any aid, especially since I'll have no other offers from schools to ask NYU to match. Has anyone dealt with the process of applying for aid while on a year of deferral? Have they been understanding? Should I just re-apply to NYU or should I apply to other schools while on deferral? I would hope I would get some aid, especially after a year off, hopefully making me more desirable, but I already accepted NYU so not sure if the financial aid office will not give me aid since i've already committed. If they give me no aid, would any of you still attend NYU at full cost?

please pm me if you know anyone who deferred or someone who is paying the full cost, would love to hear how they managed it!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:13 am

jessuan wrote:Kind of an intricate question.

I deferred NYU to fall 2017 and I know that I have to re-apply for financial aid. I'm sort of worried about the re-application process because there's no guarantee that I'll get any aid, especially since I'll have no other offers from schools to ask NYU to match. Has anyone dealt with the process of applying for aid while on a year of deferral? Have they been understanding? Should I just re-apply to NYU or should I apply to other schools while on deferral? I would hope I would get some aid, especially after a year off, hopefully making me more desirable, but I already accepted NYU so not sure if the financial aid office will not give me aid since i've already committed. If they give me no aid, would any of you still attend NYU at full cost?

please pm me if you know anyone who deferred or someone who is paying the full cost, would love to hear how they managed it!
I don't have any personal experience with that process, but my understanding of the deferral contract is that you are committed to attending NYU starting next year, which means you can't actually apply to other schools this cycle. I also believe that you don't have to re-apply to the school, just resubmit your FAFSA/Need Access for financial aid consideration.

Again, no idea how they handle aid for deferred admissions, but I'm pretty sure the aforementioned tactics will not be available to you.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Does anyone that's taken Sharkey for Torts before know if it's worth purchasing the optional texts that she has on reserve @ the library? There's quite a few and I'm not sure how useful they are.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”