NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sandwich_28

New

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by sandwich_28 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Does anyone have any insight on what it's like to attend law school with an SO? Does your SO get bored of hearing about law related stuff? is it hard to balance the academic/social demands of 1L with a serious relationship? I know this isn't specifically NYU related but since I'm planning to go to NYU in the fall I thought I would ask here :)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:52 pm

sandwich_28 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what it's like to attend law school with an SO? Does your SO get bored of hearing about law related stuff? is it hard to balance the academic/social demands of 1L with a serious relationship? I know this isn't specifically NYU related but since I'm planning to go to NYU in the fall I thought I would ask here :)
Yes, your SO will get bored of hearing about law school stuff, so try to be a normal-ish human being at home.

I don't think it's any harder to balance the academic demands of 1L with a relationship than it would be to balance a full-time job. You might become slightly more intolerable around exam time. When it comes time to get your summer jobs (and beyond), you should have already discussed long-term plans with your partner to make sure that you're making a decision that works for both of you. That might mean that you can't apply for a really sweet gig in Alaska or that you have a harder time getting a clerkship (because you can't apply as broadly), etc. Same as any major life decision you make with a partner: you need to communicate with each other and have clear expectations.

In terms of social demands, it really depends on what you consider those to be. If you absolutely must attend bar review every week and refuse to invite your SO along, then it'll probably be a drag on the relationship. If not, then it won't.

Short version: if this is a decision you made together, it's not going to be that big a deal. Lots of people make it through law school with a significant other.

lexisoverwest

New

Post by lexisoverwest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Anyone have an outline for Media Law with David McCraw?

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:50 am

Hello, this is just a curiosity question, but how is the law library? Is it a nice building or old and busted? Is it enough seating? Is it large, medium, or small? Any pictures would be great.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Sorry to necro a dead thread, not sure if there's another active NYU thread somewhere. But does anyone know if 2L honors have been posted yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomstp

New

Post by tomstp » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:02 pm

Can anyone share their experience taking John Gleeson's sentencing seminar?

juli122

New

Post by juli122 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:02 pm

Not sure if this forum is still open, but wanted to chance it (current 1L starting at NYU in the Fall).

Just finished up the first round of classes, have sort of the gotten the feeling that the professors REALLY don't want us to read any supplements (with the exception of Prof. Sharkey, who has gone in the other direction and suggested at least 3-4 in the first class). Is there any feedback on Issacharoff (Civ Pro), Sharkey (Torts), and Adler (Contacts), and how to prepare for their classes? Thank ya'll for this.

Lopodop

New

Post by Lopodop » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:59 am

Does NYU have a program that provides legal services to the poor?

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:07 am

Lopodop wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:59 am
Does NYU have a program that provides legal services to the poor?
Not sure about what your definition of "the poor" is, but there's the Unemployment Action Center (https://www.law.nyu.edu/studentorganiza ... tioncenter), the Suspension and Representation Project (https://www.law.nyu.edu/studentorganiza ... ionproject#), and the majority of the public interest clinics serve indigent clients (https://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/clinics/allclinics).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”