Student Loans for Living Expenses?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolbound13

Student Loans for Living Expenses?

Postby lawschoolbound13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

Hello all, I know I can take out loans for living expenses in law school but I'm a little confused how that will work and am wondering if anyone can provide me any insight. I contacted Sallie Mae and was told they only distribute funds directly to a school. So my question is: if a loan is dispersed to the school how does one go about using these for paying off-campus rent, food, etc.?

Anyone with insight or experience with this would really help me out, thanks! :)

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Student Loans for Living Expenses?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:54 am

The school then issues the money to you, at the beginning of each semester.

lawschoolbound13

Postby lawschoolbound13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:58 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The school then issues the money to you, at the beginning of each semester.

Excellent, thank you for the info!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:54 am

I probably should have said that you take out whatever amount of loans for tuition + living expenses; it gets disbursed to the school; the school takes out tuition/fees for that semester; then you get what's left.

lawschoolbound13

Postby lawschoolbound13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I probably should have said that you take out whatever amount of loans for tuition + living expenses; it gets disbursed to the school; the school takes out tuition/fees for that semester; then you get what's left.

Great, thank you. I was only worried because I wondered how I would possibly pay for my rent if I were to receive the money at the end of the semester or something. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”