0L legal internship?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Okie25

0L legal internship?

Postby Okie25 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 am

So I got an internship at a small law firm. I'm starting school in August and don't really have much on my resume since graduating a few years back so I thought it would look good to have something, especially at a firm. I spend about 20 hours/week doing unpaid office work (filing, mailing, online stuff, basically no actual legal work). It's boring af. Should I stick with with it? The only reason I'm doing it is in the hopes that having some experience at a law firm will look good when I'm applying for actual jobs/ to put something on my resume. Will it actually help or do firms not really care about 0L's doing these kind of work. Thanks

Ps I don't plan on coming back to this area after law school to work so no benifit there

Skool

Re: 0L legal internship?

Postby Skool » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:54 am

I would Keep doing it and make sure you learn to do everything perfectly even when you're bored. Regularly check in with your supervisor and let them know how things are going, at thse meetings, let them know how happy you are to be helpful but it would be great to have more substantive experience, even if you are only shadowing at a deposition.

You'll get a resume boost ( no one will really care too much) but you will actually learn how to succeed at a white collar monkey work, which can be helpful.

In small offices, better assignments usually come when you show you're not a shit head.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:48 am

No on will give any weight at all to any skills you might be picking up, but like the above poster said it may be helpful to show that you can work in an office environment. Sounds like your resume is really blank other than this so I would keep at it just so no one thinks you quit because you thought working in an office was "boring af". If you have something else lined up to fill out your time between now and August it might not look as bad, but don't quit just to binge watch netflix for 6 months.

bretby

Postby bretby » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:45 am

Okie25 wrote:So I got an internship at a small law firm. I'm starting school in August and don't really have much on my resume since graduating a few years back so I thought it would look good to have something, especially at a firm. I spend about 20 hours/week doing unpaid office work (filing, mailing, online stuff, basically no actual legal work). It's boring af. Should I stick with with it? The only reason I'm doing it is in the hopes that having some experience at a law firm will look good when I'm applying for actual jobs/ to put something on my resume. Will it actually help or do firms not really care about 0L's doing these kind of work. Thanks

Ps I don't plan on coming back to this area after law school to work so no benifit there

Just out of curiosity, what were you doing for the few years since graduating?

Okie25

Postby Okie25 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Family business/traveling

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll just stick to it

How should I address this on my resume. Since I'm not doing any actual legal work would putting legal clerk/assistant be inaccurate or is it fine? Thanks

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Just put legal assistant, law clerk normally means you're working there while a law student and doing actual legal work.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:08 pm

If it's an internship I would put intern.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If it's an internship I would put intern.

missed that it was an internship in the OP. TITCR

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”