Superlawyers

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

If someone makes the superlawyers list, what does it mean?

I have never heard of Superlawyers/I don't know
38%
It is a very big deal (Person is successful, big firms care about it.)
No votes
It's a nice honor, but doesn't mean much to firms.
12%
It is an indicator of some kind of success
12%
No one that matters cares about this at all. It means nothing.
38%

Total votes: 26

OneLisfun

Superlawyers

Postby OneLisfun » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:14 am

Hey everyone, I'm not trying to address the issue of whether Superlawyers' ranking system of law schools is flawed, as that has been discussed at length on this site.

What I would like to know is what it means for the individual who gets placed as a superlawyer. I've created a poll, but I'm not sure how useful it will be, and I'd prefer written responses. Basically, my question comes down to this: (1) Is it something that matters a lot, as in, the person is going to be seen by prestigious law firms as a good candidate for positions that pay large sums of money, or (2) is it basically just a complete joke, possibly even having the people listed on it as a result of those people purposefully getting people to nominate them (so, basically, something where people being listed on it are just the people who cared the most about getting their names on it), or somewhere in between the two? (Another option is it's something that matters, maybe kind of prestigious in certain PI related work, but it's not going to matter much for high paying jobs/big law and people who get paid a lot are not even typically ranked on there because that kind of work doesn't lend itself to this kind of ranking, even though it is legitimate.)

Thank you for any poll answers and any responses!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”