First Day of Law School? / First Year? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolbound13

New

First Day of Law School? / First Year?

Post by lawschoolbound13 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 am

I'm wondering what I can expect on my first day of law school? I'll more than likely be attending Indiana Maurer and have always wondered if law school is as horrifying as people make it sound on this site. My guess is that the answer falls somewhere in between. I know my first year will be extremely work intensive but how difficult is it to keep up/ get good grades? For example, how much reading should you do a night to stay on track?
Any feedback much appreciated :)

InTheHouse

Bronze

Re: First Day of Law School? / First Year?

Post by InTheHouse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 am

Treat it like an 8-5 jobs and make some friends outside of law school and you'll be fine.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:12 am

As far as the first day goes, my profs would start cold calling immediately (I think they have fun with it at our expense). But then they acted quite differently the rest of the semester.

Patent2014

New

Post by Patent2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 am

My typical day goes from 8am-9/10pm, but occasionally cut it short for an intramural or bar review. Classes will consume a few hours but then reading/briefing for each class usually takes ~3hrs, so that tacks on another 8hrs/day. I know many law schools give out less reading than mine on average, though. I usually have 25-30 pgs/class, which is 3-5 cases, and have on average 3 classes/day. Then you need to review your brief before class, so that takes a bit as well.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 am

Law school is pretty chill, you'll have tons of free time punctuated by days (maybe weeks around finals) of busyness.

Most of the scariness/intensity of it is self-imposed or comes from listening to people like one of our friends here in this thread. Just don't believe the hype and you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:22 am

law school is pretty easy. most of my time was spent on legal writing outside of class. theres really not much to do besides reading the cases which takes about an hour for every class. some people make their own outlines, but i just always used or tailored a previous one. for non legal writing courses, id factor in about 1 hour for every 2 in class. so thats like 10 hours of class a week and 5 hours of prep. legal writing can take up 10-15 on its own though. more on busy times. you can take every fri and sat off in law school no problem.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:49 pm

It's ridiculously easy and laid back IF you're making good choices in attending in the first place. If you're going to Indiana with the expectation of transferring/getting biglaw, you will be stressed and miserable - furthermore, you're playing against really bad odds. You have a 90%~ chance of failure if you consider biglaw your only opportunity for "success."

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Patent2014 wrote:My typical day goes from 8am-9/10pm, but occasionally cut it short for an intramural or bar review. Classes will consume a few hours but then reading/briefing for each class usually takes ~3hrs, so that tacks on another 8hrs/day. I know many law schools give out less reading than mine on average, though. I usually have 25-30 pgs/class, which is 3-5 cases, and have on average 3 classes/day. Then you need to review your brief before class, so that takes a bit as well.
no

you do not need to do anything close to this much work

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

jk148706 wrote:
Patent2014 wrote:My typical day goes from 8am-9/10pm, but occasionally cut it short for an intramural or bar review. Classes will consume a few hours but then reading/briefing for each class usually takes ~3hrs, so that tacks on another 8hrs/day. I know many law schools give out less reading than mine on average, though. I usually have 25-30 pgs/class, which is 3-5 cases, and have on average 3 classes/day. Then you need to review your brief before class, so that takes a bit as well.
no

I dunno. Depends on your background. I'm guessing Patent2014 was a STEM student. First semester of law school can be a little rough for us since we never really had to write exams in UG. Took me a semester to learn how to study for LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:17 pm

InTheHouse wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
no

I dunno. Depends on your background. I'm guessing Patent2014 was a STEM student. First semester of law school can be a little rough for us since we never really had to write exams in UG. Took me a semester to learn how to study for LS.
Regardless, 14 hour days as a 1L are not sustainable. And 25-30 pages of reading should not take 3 hours.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:24 pm

jk148706 wrote:
no

Yeah, wtf? Where on earth do you go to school?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:22 am

Are you reading every case 5 times?

snow24

New

Post by snow24 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 pm

lawschoolbound13 wrote:I'm wondering what I can expect on my first day of law school? I'll more than likely be attending Indiana Maurer and have always wondered if law school is as horrifying as people make it sound on this site. My guess is that the answer falls somewhere in between. I know my first year will be extremely work intensive but how difficult is it to keep up/ get good grades? For example, how much reading should you do a night to stay on track?
Any feedback much appreciated :)
It'll be exciting like any new experience, but the novelty will wear off a few weeks in and it'll be just like any schoolwork.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:Law school is pretty chill, you'll have tons of free time punctuated by days (maybe weeks around finals) of busyness.

Most of the scariness/intensity of it is self-imposed or comes from listening to people like one of our friends here in this thread. Just don't believe the hype and you'll be fine.
This

It's ridiculously easy and laid back IF you're making good choices in attending in the first place. If you're going to Indiana with the expectation of transferring/getting biglaw, you will be stressed and miserable - furthermore, you're playing against really bad odds. You have a 90%~ chance of failure if you consider biglaw your only opportunity for "success."
and this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”