Law School vs. History Major? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jjtomp

New

Law School vs. History Major?

Post by jjtomp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:46 am

What's law school like for a history major? Do I basically have to continue reading a bunch of bullshit and writing something intelligible and analytical in a cramped amount of time?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Law School vs. History Major?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 am

jjtomp wrote:What's law school like for a history major? Do I basically have to continue reading a bunch of bullshit and writing something intelligible and analytical in a cramped amount of time?
Oh yeah it's really similar. You are going to crush at law school I mean seriously crush it if you have that kind of background. I definitely wouldn't retake. In fact I'd go to a lower ranked school than you had previously planned as you're almost certain to finish in the top 5% wherever you go.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 am

jjtomp wrote:Do I basically have to continue reading a bunch of bullshit
You have no idea. It's far worse/more pointless than probably anything you have done in UG

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 am

I'd imagine you'd MAYBE have an advantage when it comes to Con Law (because fuck that class) but honestly won't make a difference.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:31 am

DJ JD wrote:I'd imagine you'd MAYBE have an advantage when it comes to Con Law (because fuck that class) but honestly won't make a difference.
There is no advantage in Con Law - why would there be? Just because you read Marbury v. Madison before (or at least understand the historical significance of it)? You go over that shit day one and then move along.

There's no advantage. You're not prepared. You're going to have to figure it out as you go just like everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 am

jjtomp wrote:What's law school like for a history major? Do I basically have to continue reading a bunch of bullshit and writing something intelligible and analytical in a cramped amount of time?
Four star trolling

Out of ten

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:40 am

First Offense wrote:
DJ JD wrote:I'd imagine you'd MAYBE have an advantage when it comes to Con Law (because fuck that class) but honestly won't make a difference.
There is no advantage in Con Law - why would there be? Just because you read Marbury v. Madison before (or at least understand the historical significance of it)? You go over that shit day one and then move along.

There's no advantage. You're not prepared. You're going to have to figure it out as you go just like everyone else.
No, I wasn't approaching it from that perspective at all. More from the angle where both History majors and the people that got A's in Con Law are very effective at actually caring about minuscule and irrelevant details of opinions and other passages enough to be able to synthesize it and regurgitate it on the test.

Seems transferable to me.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:28 am

Three star trolling

Out of twenty

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 am

DJ JD wrote:
First Offense wrote:

No, I wasn't approaching it from that perspective at all. More from the angle where both History majors and the people that got A's in Con Law are very effective at actually caring about minuscule and irrelevant details of opinions and other passages enough to be able to synthesize it and regurgitate it on the test.

Seems transferable to me.
You're an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”