ADA AMA

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Taking questions on the practice of criminal prosecution.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby twenty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 am

How long do people typically last? Where do they go when they burn out? What percentage of the ADAs in your office are "lifers"? How much are you making 8-10 years into the gig? At what (year) point does ADA experience lock you into a very specific field of legal jobs?

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 am

twenty wrote:How long do people typically last? Where do they go when they burn out? What percentage of the ADAs in your office are "lifers"? How much are you making 8-10 years into the gig? At what (year) point does ADA experience lock you into a very specific field of legal jobs?


1. The most experienced ADAs in my office (outside of the boss) have five years. Not sure which one is the exact leader. That seems to be the time at which people start leaving the gig. Though the people with five years seem like they want to keep on going.
2. I would say almost all of us are lifers, in that we all seem to be committed to the job and don't want to go into non-prosecution work at the moment.
3. We've had people go to the JAG, private criminal defense practice, the AGs Office, and other DA's Offices. A few years back one guy became a DEA agent and left the practice of law altogether. A few months ago one of my co-workers left for a civil litigation firm.
4. I'm only one year into the gig. Making in the 65k range. My co-workers aren't making much more.
5. I would say you are locked into a specific field pretty much immediately. I've never heard of anyone lateraling into say, family law, from here. Best you could hope for is getting into civil litigation.

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 am

Overall, do you like your job? do you see yourself as a lifer?

Also, what do you do when you're not in Court? Desk work or working with people, or a combination?

Thanks a bunch!!

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:37 am

Louis1127 wrote:Overall, do you like your job? do you see yourself as a lifer?

Also, what do you do when you're not in Court? Desk work or working with people, or a combination?

Thanks a bunch!!


Best part of my job is putting criminals in jail. If a guy has a history of committing felonies, that is a person who is a serious problem in the community. Playing a part in making sure he/she isn't free to hurt people anymore feels good. I know warehousing people is controversial, but sometimes, when a person shows they aren't capable of change, there is nothing else to do.

For first time offenders, I tend to be more lenient and give them a chance to change for the better. If you don't take that chance, that is when I get aggressive.

I can't see myself practicing any sort of law but this. I've known that since my 1L year clerking for a court, watching criminal trials. I might eventually leave the practice of law though. Who knows?

When not in court, there is a lot of paperwork. That takes up about 60% of my day. Responding to motions, drafting motions, preparing charging documents.

There is also some prep for court. Trials, motion hearings, probable cause hearings, bail hearings, etc. Meeting with witnesses and victims, conferring with police, visiting crime scenes, meeting with defense attorneys to talk turkey.

About once a week I am also on call for crime scenes and autopsies. Most of which take place after midnight.

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:30 am

Jaymore wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:Overall, do you like your job? do you see yourself as a lifer?

Also, what do you do when you're not in Court? Desk work or working with people, or a combination?

Thanks a bunch!!


Best part of my job is putting criminals in jail. If a guy has a history of committing felonies, that is a person who is a serious problem in the community. Playing a part in making sure he/she isn't free to hurt people anymore feels good. I know warehousing people is controversial, but sometimes, when a person shows they aren't capable of change, there is nothing else to do.

For first time offenders, I tend to be more lenient and give them a chance to change for the better. If you don't take that chance, that is when I get aggressive.

I can't see myself practicing any sort of law but this. I've known that since my 1L year clerking for a court, watching criminal trials. I might eventually leave the practice of law though. Who knows?

When not in court, there is a lot of paperwork. That takes up about 60% of my day. Responding to motions, drafting motions, preparing charging documents.

There is also some prep for court. Trials, motion hearings, probable cause hearings, bail hearings, etc. Meeting with witnesses and victims, conferring with police, visiting crime scenes, meeting with defense attorneys to talk turkey.

About once a week I am also on call for crime scenes and autopsies. Most of which take place after midnight.

Thanks for the info, Jay.

User avatar
lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster
Posts: 6855
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:31 am

Opened thread hoping this was a disabled person

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Opened thread hoping this was a disabled person


How do you know I'm not?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 pm

In terms of recruitment is it a MUST to intern at the DA's office or are other PI jobs ok?

If you do not live near the DA's office you want to work at, is interning at your local DA office alright, or do you have to intern at the DA office you want to work at?

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 pm

BankruptMe wrote:In terms of recruitment is it a MUST to intern at the DA's office or are other PI jobs ok?

If you do not live near the DA's office you want to work at, is interning at your local DA office alright, or do you have to intern at the DA office you want to work at?


Other PI jobs are fine - it just has to be something that shows are comfortable with litigation and appearing in court. The former specifically came up in every job interview I had - whether I was good at public speaking/appearing in court/in front of juries. (For good reason. Go to court and watch the civil docket - even with no jury it is painful). If you want to be a prosecutor, do whatever you can in law school to get courtroom experience - it is vital.

The whole "showing you have a passion for being a prosecutor" thing is overblown, IMO. You absolutely need to have something prosecutory in your background - but that can be taking a lot of criminal law courses, writing a note for your journal on a criminal law topic, RAing for a criminal law professor, being active in mock trial, etc. It definitely helps to have criminal law experience - whether that be DA or PD - but it is not crucial.

One caveat - you need public interest experience - someone whose only experience is summering at law firms would throw up a red flag.

I don't think ties matter as much as with law firms. I interviewed in several different states, and I was never asked about it. Probably because they know you probably aren't going to be in prosecution long-term anyway. Working you local DA is fine. Interning with the office you want to work at is of course helpful - because they can get a feel for your fit. But not necessary.

User avatar
lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster
Posts: 6855
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:29 am

Jaymore wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Opened thread hoping this was a disabled person


How do you know I'm not?

Idk. Can i ask you questions about your disability

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
Jaymore wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Opened thread hoping this was a disabled person


How do you know I'm not?

Idk. Can i ask you questions about your disability


Not disabled. At least not physically or mentally. Perhaps emotionally though, at least according to several of my exes.

User avatar
SweetTort
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby SweetTort » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 pm

What time do you usually come into/leave the office? Weekends?

Jaymore
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: ADA AMA

Postby Jaymore » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm

SweetTort wrote:What time do you usually come into/leave the office? Weekends?


Usually 7:45-8:00 to 5:00-5:15.

Occasionally later/earlier when I'm busy. Occasionally weekends when I have a brief/motion response due, have a trial the following week, or something like that. Maybe once a month or so I'll work a half-day on Sunday.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KissMyAxe and 3 guests