0L Summer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
p1921

0L Summer?

Postby p1921 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:13 pm

What do most k-jd's do during the summer before 1L? I've tried to look into legal internships but everybody I've talked to has said they don't have any internships or anything available until 1L summer. I guess what I'm asking is, is it going to hurt me if I wind up doing some non-legal work this summer to make some money instead of getting legal experience?

Hand

Re: 0L Summer?

Postby Hand » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:16 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Not in the slightest. Go to Belize. Work for Starbucks. Do whatever you want.

p1921

Postby p1921 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Looks like I can spend all summer playing golf, which I'm going to chalk up as a win.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 pm

p1921 wrote:Looks like I can spend all summer playing golf, which I'm going to chalk up as a win.

single digit handicaps can go a long ways as a line on your interests section, I think this is a very productive use of 0L summer. scratch = v5 secure, good luck.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Since it's the last summer for the next 50 years you can just do nothing, do that. I spent 3 months between DC and the beach and regret nothing.

p1921

Postby p1921 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Cobretti wrote:
p1921 wrote:Looks like I can spend all summer playing golf, which I'm going to chalk up as a win.

single digit handicaps can go a long ways as a line on your interests section, I think this is a very productive use of 0L summer. scratch = v5 secure, good luck.

Maybe I'll be able to convince myself it's an investment... If only V5 secure was really that simple.

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 pm

It won't really hurt you to do nothing, and I personally considered it, but then had the opportunity to do an unpaid internship doing patent work that essentially got me my 1L summer job at a V50. Everyone I interviewed with brought up this internship and it was clear that it's what set me apart and two firms specifically mentioned they wish they saw more applicants who sought out that particular internship. Take that with a grain of salt. Very anecdotal, but perhaps relevant if you have a certain area of law in mind.

Bilb0Baggins

Postby Bilb0Baggins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Patent2014 wrote:It won't really hurt you to do nothing, and I personally considered it, but then had the opportunity to do an unpaid internship doing patent work that essentially got me my 1L summer job at a V50. Everyone I interviewed with brought up this internship and it was clear that it's what set me apart and two firms specifically mentioned they wish they saw more applicants who sought out that particular internship. Take that with a grain of salt. Very anecdotal, but perhaps relevant if you have a certain area of law in mind.

What's the internship?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Since it's the last summer for the next 50 years you can just do nothing, do that. I spent 3 months between DC and the beach and regret nothing.

What beach do you go to breh? I make sure to hit up Dewey at least twice a summer.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Since it's the last summer for the next 50 years you can just do nothing, do that. I spent 3 months between DC and the beach and regret nothing.

What beach do you go to breh? I make sure to hit up Dewey at least twice a summer.

Ocean City is super trashy I know, but I spent a lot of my time there haha. And then hit up Rehoboth a little.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:27 pm

enjoy it op
take a long aimless bike ride
go to lots of shows
indulge in some creative endeavor
don't worry about your summer job
just trust me on this one

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:

Ocean City is super trashy I know, but I spent a lot of my time there haha. And then hit up Rehoboth a little.

TLS field trip to Seacrets?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:58 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:

TLS field trip to Seacrets?

OMG holy shit can we plz.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Unless you could SEO, I honestly think it it's more beneficial to have something really cool to put on your interests section than a generic summer job. But then again, I'm not K-JD and I worked through the summer because I needed $$$.

That being said, 'backpacked across the world,' 'learned Spanish by volunteering in Country X,' 'toured with band,' etc., would go a long way in an interview.

I mean, what are you gonna talk about when you walk into your interview prepared to explain why work experience x, y, & z makes you prepared for aspects a, b, & c of this job, but your interviewer would rather talk about some crazy shit on your interests section for 30 mins.

Point of all this needless pontification is that it doesn't matter what you do 0L summer.

Sls17

Postby Sls17 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:29 pm

El Principe wrote:Unless you could SEO, I honestly think it it's more beneficial to have something really cool to put on your interests section than a generic summer job. But then again, I'm not K-JD and I worked through the summer because I needed $$$.

That being said, 'backpacked across the world,' 'learned Spanish by volunteering in Country X,' 'toured with band,' etc., would go a long way in an interview.

I mean, what are you gonna talk about when you walk into your interview prepared to explain why work experience x, y, & z makes you prepared for aspects a, b, & c of this job, but your interviewer would rather talk about some crazy shit on your interests section for 30 mins.

Point of all this needless pontification is that it doesn't matter what you do 0L summer.

This is actually the best advice. 0L summer I worked and had an internship but also got into a performance hobby which I later put on my resume under Interests. During 1L summer job interviews, literally no one asked me about my summer job, but the person who is going to employ me had a long interesting conversation with me about my summer hobby.

So yeah, it doesn't matter what you do, but the Interests section of your resume is surprisingly not a joke.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Sls17 wrote:
El Principe wrote:Unless you could SEO, I honestly think it it's more beneficial to have something really cool to put on your interests section than a generic summer job. But then again, I'm not K-JD and I worked through the summer because I needed $$$.

This is actually the best advice. 0L summer I worked and had an internship but also got into a performance hobby which I later put on my resume under Interests. During 1L summer job interviews, literally no one asked me about my summer job, but the person who is going to employ me had a long interesting conversation with me about my summer hobby.

So yeah, it doesn't matter what you do, but the Interests section of your resume is surprisingly not a joke.

my resume is a mix of long-term (2+ years) and short-term (2 to 3 months) jobs. out of nearly 20 interviewers, only one asked about my short-term work experience, while i talked about things in my interests section on several occasions. i'm not saying a good gig isn't a potential resume builder for a kjd with little to no substantive work experience, but i wouldn't drive myself crazy looking for a great 0L summer job either

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 pm

p1921 wrote:What do most k-jd's do during the summer before 1L? I've tried to look into legal internships but everybody I've talked to has said they don't have any internships or anything available until 1L summer. I guess what I'm asking is, is it going to hurt me if I wind up doing some non-legal work this summer to make some money instead of getting legal experience?

i don't know what most k-jds do, but I know what I would do if I could do it all over again. I'd spend the summer connecting to people (research linkedin or just company websites) I thought had cool jobs and talking to them for 10-15 minutes about what they do and how they got there and what they recommend I do. I'd try and network like hell and geta non legal job that I think I could enjoy.

If I didn't get any jobs from it, cool I start law school. If I got a offered a job, I'd drop out of law school on day 1 with full money back and never look back. Being a lawyer sucks and you K-JDs have no idea what youre in for. I was one and im living the dream life all of you aspire to do right now, and I'd pay every penny in my savings account to switch with you.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Dewey Devils at South Beach on me. Then we start a bar fight at the rudder

Jaymore

Postby Jaymore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:24 pm

0L summer I worked at McDonalds and fucked the high-school girls that worked there. Don't know if that helped me at OCI, though.

I also volunteered part time at my local bar association. Nothing legal just secretarial of course. Not sure if that helped me for jobs, but it helped me get a feel for the field of law and options for what I could do with my degree. Also helped me meet some lawyers and forge connections. I'd recommend that, if possible. Do something in the law field, even if it is answering phones and running errands.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 pm

go to thailand

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”