- Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kluge

New

-

Post by Kluge » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:33 pm

-
Last edited by Kluge on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kluge

New

Re: Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus legal markets

Post by Kluge » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:29 pm

-
Last edited by Kluge on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:36 pm

I am strictly 2nd hand. (1) If you went to UG in OH reach out to associates who are alums directly. Cold is fine. (2) Honestly, OState is WAYYYYY better than either school if you want to be accepted. However, if you're going to one of your two choices listed, you should immediately return to OH following graduation. If not, you won't be trusted. Remember, OH is a state that most people don't leave.

Good luck. And even though Chi is the closer school, Harvard carries more prestige. But know that you may be looked at suspiciously (e.g., Is he waiting to leave? Wants to get picked up by a firm in Chicago? National politics/DNC/RNC?)

Kluge

New

Post by Kluge » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm

-
Last edited by Kluge on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:46 pm

If you're physically in OH, I would reach out to some of these associates at firms that you looked at and reach out if you've been accepted to Chi and HLS. You can say that you are interested in their perspective as you consider your options. At the associate level (especially more junior ones), they may be flattered. If you feel uncomfortable doing it cold, go through the Admissions office of the schools and ask them to do the intro to either specific people you've found or alumni in your part of OH. Plus, this would help with networking and developing possible mentorships.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:57 pm

I've seen and met associates at Ohio firms from both Chicago and Harvard. I think going to the elite school is the better option, if your ties to Ohio are as strong as you say. As long as your grades aren't really really bad, you're better off unless you would have been top 5-10% at OSU, which is impossible to predict. My impression was that Ohio firms are willing to take a chance on you if you demonstrate you're committed to the market (1L summer in Ohio, for example).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”