Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:24 pm

as an average attorney these days:

http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/jobs-america/

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm

If you're going to law school to make money, you're doing it wrong.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm

buttsy da poo poo

Poopface
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby Poopface » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 pm

good thing i ain't finn' to be an average attorney

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12800
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 pm

if i went to law school, how do i become a PA

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12800
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Do you think marketing myself as a med mal defense attorney and PA would help?

User avatar
bearsfan23
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:as an average attorney these days:

http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/jobs-america/

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm

If you're going to law school to make money, you're doing it wrong.



Another great thread. I'm dating a PA, so I just like to point out how stupid this is.

In the Chicago area, PAs start at $70-80k. This job also requires over 2 years of PA School, and scholarships are rare, so most students end up with significant debt. So yeah, working in BigLaw makes a lot more money than any PA.

Secondly, PAs bitch about their jobs non-stop. The idea that PAs on average are any happier than lawyers is BS.

And we get you're unhappy and hate your job. You should probably quit
Last edited by bearsfan23 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:as an average attorney these days:

http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/jobs-america/

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm

If you're going to law school to make money, you're doing it wrong.



Another great thread. I'm dating a PA, so I just like to point out how stupid this is.

In the Chicago area, PAs start at $70-80k. This job also requires over 2 years of PA School, and scholarships are rare, so most students end up with significant debt. So yeah, working in BigLaw makes a lot more money than any PA.

Secondly, PAs bitch about their jobs non-stop. The idea that PAs on average are any happier than lawyers is BS.

And we get you're unhappy and hate job. You should probably quit


y u so mad tho?

1) Biglaw salaries are not "average" attorney salaries.
2) Most attorneys who start in biglaw never earn biglaw (or better) salaries after they leave biglaw.
3) Starting PA salaries are not "average" PA salaries.
4) I am already in the process of quitting my job, actually.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

well your gf is a retard and you should prolly break up with her then. i know nurses making 70k 2 years after entering the field. http://www1.salary.com/IL/Chicago/Physi ... alary.html looks like 100k is the median salary for chicago.

TheoO
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby TheoO » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:4) I am already in the process of quitting my job, actually.


What he is going into.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:39 pm

TheoO wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:4) I am already in the process of quitting my job, actually.


What he is going into.


Patriots ball attendant.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 pm

if it's for the automated discovery startup I want in

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm

fats provolone wrote:if it's for the automated discovery startup I want in


flattered that you would have that much faith in my idea :oops:

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby reasonable person » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 pm

B.S. in Petroleum Engineering.
Good friend graduated from UT Austin last year and he started at 110k.
He told me that everyone he knew got similar offers.
6 fig starting salaries are apparently quite common nationwide.
Last edited by reasonable person on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 pm

reasonable person wrote:B.S. in Petroleum Engineering.
Good friend graduated from UT Austin last year and he started at 110k.
He told me that everyone he knew got similar offers.
6 fig starting salaries are apparently quite common nationwide.

you seen the news lately bro

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:55 pm

reasonable person wrote:B.S. in Petroleum Engineering.
Good friend graduated from UT Austin last year and he started at 110k.
He told me that everyone he knew got similar offers.
6 fig starting salaries are apparently quite common nationwide.


Well that could be drying up depending on what oil does over the next year.

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby reasonable person » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Nah, I haven't seen the news. I'm sure tons of people are flooding to it though, but it's still better than law school.
Or do the 6 year PharmD program and start at 100k in the continental US or 300k/yr in Alaska via a three year contract.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:59 pm

six figures arent that hard. go work for Epic healthcare consulting for 2 years after college, make 70k each year, then bounce and do healthcare consulting for $100/hour or work for a hospital for $125k a year.
Fuck, as i get into the 9th hour of my copying and pasting the same old shit fuck. Also had a vacation planned last weekend that I didn't get to go on. How many of your other shitty jobs do that to you.


Edit - its healthcare software consulting and software should be inserted between every healthcare and consulting above. No healthcare knowledge needed/
Last edited by JohannDeMann on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby reasonable person » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Or work in IT.
I have tons of friends that do that, and that was my initial path.
They make about 80k and surf reddit/youtube and play video games half the time. :lol:

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 pm

yeah sorry - epic is healthcare software. so its basically working in IT. my GFs brother just got a job in the shittiest economy in the US (detroit) with a CS major from the shittiest 4 year college. His starting salary would have been higher than my gfs who has been practicing law for 4 years. except he failed the drug test. we were both like shit that sucks, he was liek don't be, and had another job lined up within 2 weeks paying even more. lol law.

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby eriedoctrine » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Can confirm above two posts. Especially for IT.
My friend sits on his ass half the time as a network admin "monitoring the network". He makes about 70k w/o overtime.
Also company wide system scans take a few hours, so he basically sits at his office playing fucking Hearthstone or World of Warcraft or some shit and clocks in dat overtime and gets another 20k.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that "work" for him is so undraining, he is getting bored dicking around all the time. Last winter, he just started taking evening biology classes at local college cause it's interesting. His company pays for it.

User avatar
pamphleteer
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby pamphleteer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 am

eriedoctrine wrote:Can confirm above two posts. Especially for IT.
My friend sits on his ass half the time as a network admin "monitoring the network". He makes about 70k w/o overtime.
Also company wide system scans take a few hours, so he basically sits at his office playing fucking Hearthstone or World of Warcraft or some shit and clocks in dat overtime and gets another 20k.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that "work" for him is so undraining, he is getting bored dicking around all the time. Last winter, he just started taking evening biology classes at local college cause it's interesting. His company pays for it.


What is his degree in?

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14460
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:19 am

fats provolone wrote:if it's for the automated discovery startup I want in


u wanna make a mechanical turk for docreview monkey?

EricHosmer
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 am

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby EricHosmer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 am

I also know people who work for Epic. You don't even need a STEM degree; they'll take any fairly smart recent graduate who's willing to work for 60-70 hours with travel. People who work there tend to hate it as much as big law, though, and the turnover rate is really high.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3700
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 am

Yeah Epic isn't really a better alternative to law. They're a popular revolving door after-UG job, I have a lot of friends who went to work for them. But they fucking hate their life. And I think the starting salary is closer to 60k. And it's not a cake walk to jump into a 100/hr consulting gig in a hospital. Epic churns out 2-year-WE-medical-consultants like GULC. Medical consulting is fine, but just like IB, it's not all cake, rainbow, hookers, and 6 figs.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Looks like the average physician's assistant makes the same

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:26 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Yeah Epic isn't really a better alternative to law. They're a popular revolving door after-UG job, I have a lot of friends who went to work for them. But they fucking hate their life. And I think the starting salary is closer to 60k. And it's not a cake walk to jump into a 100/hr consulting gig in a hospital. Epic churns out 2-year-WE-medical-consultants like GULC. Medical consulting is fine, but just like IB, it's not all cake, rainbow, hookers, and 6 figs.


They pay 60k start. You can make about 80k after 2 years. But after 4 years you quit and go work for one of the consulting firms that only do Epic Implementations and then you are making like $120-160k. Lot's of travel. But the company is overrated. Its in a boring town and high turn over.

Also, I also dated a PA. They complained about the gig after 4 years and left to work at GSK where they make good money. A career is a career, however. Aint nothing wrong with law, just ask your professors or judges.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bettyboopydoop and 2 guests