WE for 1L Jobs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Okie25

WE for 1L Jobs

Postby Okie25 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:33 pm

I'll be starting at a T1 this fall (UIUC/IU-B/SMU)

I graduated two years ago. Aside from a few internships during undergrad and one afterwards I have nothing meaningful on my resume. No real work experience. How screwed am I? What can I do between now and the beginning of law school to make myself a better candidate for 1L summer jobs. How much emphasis is placed on experience vs 1L grades? Appreciate any advise!

BigZuck

Re: WE for 1L Jobs

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Paid stuff is probably precluded for you because of the school you're going to. It's really hard to get a paid 1L summer job

Unpaid stuff is easy to get, I wouldn't sweat it

Whether experience matters more than grades depends on the types of job you ultimately want to get. If you're shooting for public interest/government type stuff then relevant experience/dedication to the cause are likely the most important factors. If you want to work at a large firm then grades are probably most important. Small firms, you probably want experience/networking with people in that field/in that firm.

Okie25

Re: WE for 1L Jobs

Postby Okie25 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Cool, thanks for the info

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”