Advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BamaLaw

Advice

Postby BamaLaw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 am

Cleared
Last edited by BamaLaw on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Re: Advice: Stay or Drop Out and Find Other Job?

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 am

Are you trying to transfer to Bama? I'm willing to bet they're very easy on transfers considering how much money they give to game their numbers.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:14 am

You're already in 80L debt mostly because of undergrad? I wouldn't think "Well, I need a high paying job to pay off 120K but 80K should be NBD." Considering you want to be a lawyer, if continuing law school, no matter where you go, will only cost you 40K more I don't see any reason not to stick it out.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 am

BamaLaw wrote:1L at Regional TTT, grades first semester were 85, 89, 90 and most likely one more B. This will put me around top third of my class. school doesn't do plus or minuses. A is 4.0 B is 3.0 etc

I had big law/midlaw aspirations but I know this isn't likely now and i am even worried about getting a job that pays 40-50K.

My goal was to transfer to a Top 30 school within my region but I don't believe that is likely now either.

My question to TLS is whether i should drop out or not? I will graduate law school with around $120K in debt which includes undergrad debt. If i quit now, itd be around 80K.

I realize that I will need a high paying job to service the 120K or else I will be a debt slave for a majority of my life. To attain such a job, I needed to land a solid SA job 2L summer which I could do at my current school with top 5-10% after my first year.

I love law school and I found it super interesting. I know I'd like being a lawyer but if it is wiser to not waste another semesters tuition then I would rather not.

Are you only willing to stay if you can transfer, or are you willing to stay and finish where you are?

BamaLaw

Postby BamaLaw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:Are you trying to transfer to Bama? I'm willing to bet they're very easy on transfers considering how much money they give to game their numbers.

Not Bama, another southeastern regional though. I know my screen name may be confusing.

BamaLaw

Postby BamaLaw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:You're already in 80L debt mostly because of undergrad? I wouldn't think "Well, I need a high paying job to pay off 120K but 80K should be NBD." Considering you want to be a lawyer, if continuing law school, no matter where you go, will only cost you 40K more I don't see any reason not to stick it out.

I know 80 isn't going to be a cake walk. But it seemed adding 40 more would be a substantially harder load to deal with especially if I would be making a salary comparable than if I had forgone law school and stuck with the 80K in debt.

BamaLaw

Postby BamaLaw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

iowaguy wrote:
BamaLaw wrote:1L at Regional TTT, grades first semester were 85, 89, 90 and most likely one more B. This will put me around top third of my class. school doesn't do plus or minuses. A is 4.0 B is 3.0 etc

I had big law/midlaw aspirations but I know this isn't likely now and i am even worried about getting a job that pays 40-50K.

My goal was to transfer to a Top 30 school within my region but I don't believe that is likely now either.

My question to TLS is whether i should drop out or not? I will graduate law school with around $120K in debt which includes undergrad debt. If i quit now, itd be around 80K.

I realize that I will need a high paying job to service the 120K or else I will be a debt slave for a majority of my life. To attain such a job, I needed to land a solid SA job 2L summer which I could do at my current school with top 5-10% after my first year.

I love law school and I found it super interesting. I know I'd like being a lawyer but if it is wiser to not waste another semesters tuition then I would rather not.

Are you only willing to stay if you can transfer, or are you willing to stay and finish where you are?

I am willing to stay and finish where I am. If that were to happen, I would try to bust ass and finish the best I could within my class and hope for some luck during 3L OCI if 2L OCI did not present any options.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Wasn't likely to begin with...

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

In that case you might as well just relax. Its just 1L jitters. You can raise that GPA once electives hit. Trust me, a high GPA in all classes after 1L is pretty much a sure thing unless you are TRYING to fail.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 pm

iowaguy wrote:In that case you might as well just relax. Its just 1L jitters. You can raise that GPA once electives hit. Trust me, a high GPA in all classes after 1L is pretty much a sure thing unless you are TRYING to fail.

You can't possibly leave these forums soon enough.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:05 pm

ymmv wrote:
iowaguy wrote:In that case you might as well just relax. Its just 1L jitters. You can raise that GPA once electives hit. Trust me, a high GPA in all classes after 1L is pretty much a sure thing unless you are TRYING to fail.

You can't possibly leave these forums soon enough.

Wow, hey stalker. My points stand. Honestly has no one here gone beyond 1L or something?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm

just take law and bootstraps 2L year and you'll be fine

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

fats provolone wrote:just take law and bootstraps 2L year and you'll be fine

if someone cares about GPA avoid stuff they find hard (it can vary by the person) but bankruptcy comes to mind as NOT a blow off class. A lot of it is just common sense. Ask people who already sat the courses if you want. By the end of 1L everyone is in a club of some kind with upper classmen in it. Talk to them.

Another big one is knowing WHICH PROFS to take/avoid. A hard prof can make even a blowoff class hard and to some degree a good prof can make a hard one easier to swallow.

Talk to humans in your school and you'll be fine

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”