Best job

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheApothecary

Best job

Postby TheApothecary » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:47 am

I am wanting to quit my position as a bartender and I would like to get a job in the legal field. I have just graduated with a bachelor in legal studies.What job should I go for since I have no experience?

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: Best job

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:12 pm

paralegal

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:26 pm

and 0ls are not allowed to post on this forum

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:43 pm

mvp99 wrote:and 0ls are not allowed to post on this forum

Just lol

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Just lol

I moved this thread from Legal Employment to Ask a Student/Grad, for the record.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

Just lol

I moved this thread from Legal Employment to Ask a Student/Grad, for the record.

Ah, well I b dum den.

My mistake.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Try to find an extremely small law firm. They generally need admin workers and if you seem smart they will probably let you do semi-legal stuff eventually (legal secretary, paralegal, etc.).

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:47 pm

A paralegal position might be a good choice. I worked as a paralegal for two years prior to law school. I don't think that my experience as a paralegal set me apart from my fellow classmates in terms of academics and job offers. However, as a 1L, I was well aware that the legal profession was not as glamorous as most people perceive it to be. Unlike the slew of 1Ls who want to pursue a career in "sports law" or "international law," I had some idea as to what what I was really getting in to, which I found to be the true benefit of my experience as a paralegal.

I'm currently working in a small law firm (5-10 attorneys), and I don't believe that my experience as a paralegal adequately prepared me for my job as a first year associate. That said, I was aware that my job will involve long hours, tedious document review, tight deadlines, and demanding clients, and even more demanding partners. I knew I could tolerate this type of work environment, which I think is one of the main reasons why I do not feel like I'm totally dead on the inside.

In all, I doubt that there is any "best job" to choose prior to making the decision to attend law school, but a paralegal position might be a good choice. While you might not gain a ton of experience, it will give you an unvarnished idea as to what a lawyer's day-to-day grind is like.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I moved this thread from Legal Employment to Ask a Student/Grad, for the record.

Ah, well I b dum den.

My mistake.

No, no, I should have said.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:44 pm

ditch digger wrote:A paralegal position might be a good choice. I worked as a paralegal for two years prior to law school. I don't think that my experience as a paralegal set me apart from my fellow classmates in terms of academics and job offers. However, as a 1L, I was well aware that the legal profession was not as glamorous as most people perceive it to be. Unlike the slew of 1Ls who want to pursue a career in "sports law" or "international law," I had some idea as to what what I was really getting in to, which I found to be the true benefit of my experience as a paralegal.

I'm currently working in a small law firm (5-10 attorneys), and I don't believe that my experience as a paralegal adequately prepared me for my job as a first year associate. That said, I was aware that my job will involve long hours, tedious document review, tight deadlines, and demanding clients, and even more demanding partners. I knew I could tolerate this type of work environment, which I think is one of the main reasons why I do not feel like I'm totally dead on the inside.

In all, I doubt that there is any "best job" to choose prior to making the decision to attend law school, but a paralegal position might be a good choice. While you might not gain a ton of experience, it will give you an unvarnished idea as to what a lawyer's day-to-day grind is like.

good post. it also pays decent and gives you a chance to change your mind about going to law school

TheApothecary

Postby TheApothecary » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:50 pm

How about a court reporter or a court clerk position. Would that be good?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:48 pm

You need to go through extensive training and get certified as a court reporter. It's a good gig, but you're not going to be able just to walk into it without qualifications. Court clerk is more likely, depending on the court and what qualifications they want and your experience.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”