UT's 3-year JD/MGPS Dual Degree Program - Biglaw no-no?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whosinthehousejc

UT's 3-year JD/MGPS Dual Degree Program - Biglaw no-no?

Postby whosinthehousejc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi all, this fall UT will offer a 3-year dual degree JD/Master of Global Policy Studies program with the LBJ Public Affairs school. I'm considering doing it (w/ energy specialization) but I'm concerned that biglaw hiring might not see this favorably.

My career goals are currently: School -> Clerkship? -> TX Biglaw (Intl. Energy Focus) -> AUSA/AG office or TX Politics.

I'm aware that TLS conventional wisdom says dual degrees are a waste of time and money, but in this case it should cost no more of either.

Thoughts?

BVest

Re: UT's 3-year JD/MGPS Dual Degree Program - Biglaw no-no?

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Hi all, this fall UT will offer a 3-year dual degree JD/Master of Global Policy Studies program with the LBJ Public Affairs school. I'm considering doing it (w/ energy specialization) but I'm concerned that biglaw hiring might not see this favorably.

My career goals are currently: School -> Clerkship? -> TX Biglaw (Intl. Energy Focus) -> AUSA/AG office or TX Politics.

I'm aware that TLS conventional wisdom says dual degrees are a waste of time and money, but in this case it should cost no more of either.

Thoughts?

Unless something major has changed, this is a 4-year program.

Most dual master’s degree programs can be completed in three years. The dual master’s degree program with MGPS and Law is a four-year program.

Source
See also

Plus, it's 107 hours (vs 86 for a JD) so it's most definitely more expensive.

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Something major has changed: http://www.utexas.edu/lbj/degreeprograms/dual/law

Announced Dec. 11: http://www.utexas.edu/news/2014/12/11/l ... d-degrees/ but it looks like none of the law school's online literature reflects the change. I found it in an unrelated google search. I haven't heard anything else about it, including on the c/o 2018 FB page. I spoke with the dual degree faculty person Michele Deitch who said it has to be applied for now, can't apply after beginning studies.

Looks like it's a total of 97 hours, so yeah, presumably a bit more expensive.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Interesting.

Given the description of first-year summer, I suspect you can't do a 1L SA, but those are rare anyway. I don't think it would hurt your chances with biglaw as long as you can articulated how it ties into what you want to do in your law career, which it sounds like you are. If you aren't able to tie it in, it would just make you sound unfocused and unsure of your goals.

As far as cost, at 97 hours, it's probably about $8,000 more total, assuming none of the classes are considered to be in the summer session for tuition purposes (if they are, expect another $2,000-2,500 bump for each summer involved). (Calculations: Generally speaking, UT resident grad and law tuitions -- which differ slightly -- are about $2700-3300 for the first semester hour and an additional $750 per hour for additional hours, IIRC).

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Doesn't seem like it really interferes with 1L classes and that you do standard 1L stuff, which will matter for biglaw hiring. You may not be able to do a traditional 1L summer, but if it is legal related in some way it shouldn't matter. It may be worth it, or it may just be a flame. After reading a little, it seems like it isn't a terrible idea.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”