Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iowaguy

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:14 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:One difference is it's possible to do well in law school with less work than college because so much of how grading works is based on natural ability, but you actually need to work once you're working. If law school is really that haunting for someone, it's hard to imagine how practice won't be.

It's also pretty weird to be getting on a mother for choosing her kids over law school. If you don't have kids or have a different set up then you have a huge advantage LS wise, and it's incredibly douchey to get on them about this. One of the paramount goals of the high income DF is talking about is to provide a good life to your real or hypothetical children. You can't do this if your children are miserable and depressed. If anything she is being selfless and should be respected for her choice. Going after prestige and personal success is the easier decision here... especially if she did well 1L.

Not getting on anyone. Was asking some follow up questions and she spazed.
Don't disclose private facts to tell people not to do stuff and not expect follow up questions
She has some mental health issues, but whatever. That's why accommodations are so popular.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:17 pm

loooooool

iowaguy can we get your thoughts on current events? ferguson? paris?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Can you count all of your friends on one or two hands? FB friends don't count.

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm

iowaguy wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:One difference is it's possible to do well in law school with less work than college because so much of how grading works is based on natural ability, but you actually need to work once you're working. If law school is really that haunting for someone, it's hard to imagine how practice won't be.

It's also pretty weird to be getting on a mother for choosing her kids over law school. If you don't have kids or have a different set up then you have a huge advantage LS wise, and it's incredibly douchey to get on them about this. One of the paramount goals of the high income DF is talking about is to provide a good life to your real or hypothetical children. You can't do this if your children are miserable and depressed. If anything she is being selfless and should be respected for her choice. Going after prestige and personal success is the easier decision here... especially if she did well 1L.

Not getting on anyone. Was asking some follow up questions and she spazed.
Don't disclose private facts to tell people not to do stuff and not expect follow up questions
She has some mental health issues, but whatever. That's why accommodations are so popular.

You didn't ask follow up questions, you made really bad assumptions and tried to take one person's story and make it a catch-all, and then followed those up with ad hominem attacks. :roll:

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Not sure you guys know a question is

Here is an example of another: If she is a Prof and full time mom HOW is she posting here so much in the middle of the day?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm

damn i should have put "just asking questions" on my card

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm

iowaguy wrote:Not getting on anyone. Was asking some follow up questions and she spazed.

Some users have urged the mods to be more ruthless in hammering worthless posters.

I will begin here.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:23 pm

Vasectomy is definitely the right way to go, iowaguy.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:23 pm

iowaguy can you give me orientation snack advice?

damnit nony

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 pm

new year, new mouse

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:25 pm

#teamnony

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Noooo he was asking the really TOUGH questions! There was a lot to be gained.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

LeDique wrote:iowaguy can you give me orientation snack advice?

damnit nony

:lol:

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:48 pm

iowaguy wrote:If she is a Prof and full time mom HOW is she posting here so much in the middle of the day?

LOL at posting being time consuming.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
iowaguy wrote:If she is a Prof and full time mom HOW is she posting here so much in the middle of the day?

LOL at posting being time consuming.

Actually reading my posts in this thread answers that question, too.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:59 pm

full disclosure, I thought chem was at duke, didn't know about the pt

either way it's pretty clear you made the right decision and you're way happier than the rest of us for it

DF: how do your threads always deliver? with minimal effort from yourself? your spam brings all the trolls to the yard.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:full disclosure, I thought chem was at duke, didn't know about the pt

either way it's pretty clear you made the right decision and you're way happier than the rest of us for it

DF: how do your threads always deliver? with minimal effort from yourself? your spam brings all the trolls to the yard.

twist:

DF was iowaguy

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:07 pm

utahraptor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:full disclosure, I thought chem was at duke, didn't know about the pt

twist:

DF was iowaguy

aw that's cheating

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm

iowaguy wrote:
chem! wrote:This little spate of posters who think they have a fucking clue about me is hilarious.

iowaguy: the moral of the story is that finishing law school wasn't worth the sacrifices my kids were having to make. Not that it's really any of your business, but I'll share anyway. My husband works a 7 on/7 off schedule and is gone every other week. I WAS attending part-time, and I never saw my kids because I left for school 30 minutes after they got home and I got home from school right when they needed to go to bed. I couldn't attend baseball games or concerts, I couldn't even help my kids with their homework, and they had to give up participating in some activities because they couldn't get to/from them. So no, it wasn't a time management issue. I chose to focus on what my sons needed from me, because that was the only decision I could make and still live with myself.

FYI: I quit as a 2L, and my 1L grades were good, so you can just fuck right off with that assumption.

If we knew we wouldn't ask

It still feels like the moral of the story you are offering seems to be for moms not to attend law school
Did you husbands schedule change drastically AFTER you enrolled? Did you not know going into it what you were going into?
And not trying to be mean but dropping out in 2L part time is really dropping out in 1L

You should go visit a few national parks

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I think Iowaguy had some good points and questions

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:I think Iowaguy had some good points and questions

You're a 0L and your work experience is teaching (presumably TFA given your shitty salary and 2 years in-between LSAT scores). You liked Iowaguy's points and questions because they seemed to justify the massively shitty life choice you're about to make, not because there was anything inherently useful about trying to call Chem out for her (good) life decisions.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:

You're a 0L and your work experience is teaching (presumably TFA given your shitty salary and 2 years in-between LSAT scores). You liked Iowaguy's points and questions because they seemed to justify the massively shitty life choice you're about to make, not because there was anything inherently useful about trying to call Chem out for her (good) life decisions.

Iowa guy asked questions so he wouldn't have to assume like you. Also teachers make the same amount of money across the board regardless of TFA status or not (I'm not in TFA). Also it's not going to be a shitty choice for me, well it's not going to be as bad as a mom who wants to stay home with her kids and then all of a sudden finds out law school won't allow that.

But heck who knows it might be worst than that for me. I'm just a 0L who will go to law school with 30k saved and a couple of full rides. Maybe I'll do poorly 1L year and flunk out.

Edit: I've worked other jobs that have allowed me to save that much. So teaching isn't my only experience.

But seriously Chem just be a stay at home mom. Don't fuck yourself by becoming a teacher. You clearly want to just stay with ur kids. Just do that.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Iowa guy asked questions so he wouldn't have to assume like you. Also teachers make the same amount of money across the board regardless of TFA status or not (I'm not in TFA). Also it's not going to be a shitty choice for me, well it's not going to be as bad as a mom who wants to stay home with her kids and then all of a sudden finds out law school won't allow that.

But heck who knows it might be worst than that for me. I'm just a 0L who will go to law school with 30k saved and a couple of full rides. Maybe I'll do poorly 1L year and flunk out.

Does the second full ride make law school cheaper somehow?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”