Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
prezidentv8

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:
utahraptor wrote:would you have gone for free?

giving up three of the best years of your life (while you're not old/decrepit) =/= free

bingo

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:22 pm

This little spate of posters who think they have a fucking clue about me is hilarious.

iowaguy: the moral of the story is that finishing law school wasn't worth the sacrifices my kids were having to make. Not that it's really any of your business, but I'll share anyway. My husband works a 7 on/7 off schedule and is gone every other week. I WAS attending part-time, and I never saw my kids because I left for school 30 minutes after they got home and I got home from school right when they needed to go to bed. I couldn't attend baseball games or concerts, I couldn't even help my kids with their homework, and they had to give up participating in some activities because they couldn't get to/from them. So no, it wasn't a time management issue. I chose to focus on what my sons needed from me, because that was the only decision I could make and still live with myself.

FYI: I quit as a 2L, and my 1L grades were good, so you can just fuck right off with that assumption.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm

chem! wrote:This little spate of posters who think they have a fucking clue about me is hilarious.

iowaguy: the moral of the story is that finishing law school wasn't worth the sacrifices my kids were having to make. Not that it's really any of your business, but I'll share anyway. My husband works a 7 on/7 off schedule and is gone every other week. I WAS attending part-time, and I never saw my kids because I left for school 30 minutes after they got home and I got home from school right when they needed to go to bed. I couldn't attend baseball games or concerts, I couldn't even help my kids with their homework, and they had to give up participating in some activities because they couldn't get to/from them. So no, it wasn't a time management issue. I chose to focus on what my sons needed from me, because that was the only decision I could make and still live with myself.

FYI: I quit as a 2L, and my 1L grades were good, so you can just fuck right off with that assumption.

You don't have to justify yourself to trolls. Most of the people on this board are unmarried, no kids, early 20-something and have no idea about the trade offs that they may have to make in 5-10 years. Congratulations on correctly making a difficult decision.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 pm

You're right, and thanks.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Sadly, I don't think he was trolling.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:39 pm

i believe he was law studenting

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:39 pm

3|ink wrote:Sadly, I don't think he was trolling.

Yeah, I think he's just an asshole.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm

chem! wrote:This little spate of posters who think they have a fucking clue about me is hilarious.

If we knew we wouldn't ask

It still feels like the moral of the story you are offering seems to be for moms not to attend law school
Did you husbands schedule change drastically AFTER you enrolled? Did you not know going into it what you were going into?
And not trying to be mean but dropping out in 2L part time is really dropping out in 1L

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:46 pm

What are you trying to prove here, other than that you're obviously a mouth-breather?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:47 pm

iowaguy wrote:

It still feels like the moral of the story you are offering seems to be for moms not to attend law school
Did you husbands schedule change drastically AFTER you enrolled? Did you not know going into it what you were going into?
And not trying to be mean but dropping out in 2L part time is really dropping out in 1L

Checkmate chem. Now back to the kitchen.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Chem don't do it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This fucking sucks. Not worth it at all. Go to silcon valley u nerds.

I hear the criticisms of law, and many are valid, but I wouldn't push the "silicon valley is the millennial panacea" narrative. SV is in a bubble right now. How else could AirBNB--which owns none of the properties it rents--have a higher valuation than, say, Hilton Hotels or any other chain that holds actual real estate? At some point the market is going to correct these valuations, and the VCs with equity stakes are going to come in and put the grown ups in charge. That will mean layoffs, reduced salary, etc. etc.

Sorry for the slight derailment but felt the need to point out that the "just Silicon Valley bro" conventional wisdom is flawed.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:51 pm

iowaguy wrote:

Lol holy shit.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Whatever guys, tourette syndrome lady can do what she wants. Math just doesn't add up. But whatever.

I find it odd how people who decide not to go or who dropout still hangout on law school forums
But fine, whatever.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:57 pm

iowaguy wrote:Whatever guys, tourette syndrome lady can do what she wants. Math just doesn't add up. But whatever.

I find it odd how people who decide not to go or who dropout still hangout on law school forums
But fine, whatever.

Right, since someone who left law school because of the ways in which it adversely affected her life could not possibly have anything helpful to say about law school.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

mmelittlechicken wrote:Chem don't do it.

Apparently, I'm too tic-impaired to do so anyway. :lol:

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:00 pm

ymmv wrote:
iowaguy wrote:Whatever guys, tourette syndrome lady can do what she wants. Math just doesn't add up. But whatever.

But fine, whatever.

Right, since someone who left law school because of the ways in which it adversely affected her life could not possibly have anything helpful to say about law school.

Reading Comprehension, I am surprised they would want to

And to be fair, they really can't. Other than LSAT prep maybe. They can't say how to make it despite the hardship since they didn't and can't really say much more than what snacks to pick at orientation.
Last edited by iowaguy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 pm

IT DOESN'T ADD UP GUYS. WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:02 pm

iowaguy wrote:
ymmv wrote:

But fine, whatever.

Reading Comprehension, I am surprised they would want to

Can't be real.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:02 pm

But fine, whatever.

Tell us more about you, bro.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:03 pm

all i need is a post count reference and I've blacked out my bingo card

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:03 pm

One difference is it's possible to do well in law school with less work than college because so much of how grading works is based on natural ability, but you actually need to work once you're working. If law school is really that haunting for someone, it's hard to imagine how practice won't be.

It's also pretty weird to be getting on a mother for choosing her kids over law school. If you don't have kids or have a different set up then you have a huge advantage LS wise, and it's incredibly douchey to get on them about this. One of the paramount goals of the high income DF is talking about is to provide a good life to your real or hypothetical children. You can't do this if your children are miserable and depressed. If anything she is being selfless and should be respected for her choice. Going after prestige and personal success is the easier decision here... especially if she did well 1L.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:One difference is it's possible to do well in law school with less work than college because so much of how grading works is based on natural ability, but you actually need to work once you're working. If law school is really that haunting for someone, it's hard to imagine how practice won't be.

bingo

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 pm

dearest chemistry teacher, which snacks should i pick at orientation?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
El Principe wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Meh. I like being a lawyer.

But I have no idea what the fuck I paid for. I'm just now getting over the harm to my self-discipline caused by 3 years of dicking around until exam time, drinking away my loan money, and scrambling hard exam time. I guess I learned some shit, but not $60k a year worth.

If it wasn't for the different avy and the 60K a year part, I'd probably have figured I messed around, got drunk and posted this last semester.

Glad I'm not the only one living life on the edge.

Aren't you still a law student?

Yeah… there's that too I suppose.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”