Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:DF: 165k at NU, or 50k at UChi? Short term career goals are biglaw for 2 years. Long-term is lawyer in politics and maybe academia if I win law school. I have sufficient connections in the arcane political areas where I hope to eventually practice that make the prestige difference between UChi and NU probably a moot point (small political firms that specialize in 1st/5th/14th amendment stuff, which care far less about prestige than demonstrated interest and connections, which I have throughout undergrad and 3 years post-grad) . I'm 95% committed to NU, but think I would regret not going to UChi when I'm 50, when the $115k difference would be probably negligible. I conservatively average my salary over my 45 year career at $100k/yr, which is $4.5 mil pre-tax. So that makes the $115k tuition difference seem especially negligible. Also, my S/O will have a PhD and make six figs until she retires. Also, I should have sufficient connections to get an interesting job (paying 80k/yr + annual bonuses) if I am below median after law school graduation. I sound like I'm ahead of myself in terms of estimating my career chances but don't have the time or energy to justify my confidence in this post.

Thats 115k at what 7%? Thats a lot more than just 115k.

You also have to look at what the difference gets you. Probably nothing in this case.

Mostly the intellectual erection of going to the same institution where some greats in law and philosophy/economics flourish(ed) -- hayek, friedman, nussbaum, leiter, posner, epstein, etc.

UC is an institution and NU is a jobs mill. When I die I'd rather be a part of an institution, nawmean?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 pm

U Chi is a calling. Enjoy Hyde Park

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:26 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Mostly the intellectual erection of going to the same institution where some greats in law and philosophy/economics flourish(ed) -- hayek, friedman, nussbaum, leiter, posner, epstein, etc.

Half of those people never went to law school, and none of them attended the University of Chicago as students. Twenty years from now when you start your career in politics, all those people will be dead and no one will know or care that you attended a law school that was once affiliated with the law and economics movement.

Don't be stupid.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:U Chi is a calling. Enjoy Hyde Park

Not sure if srs

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

Not sure if srs

I'm assuming you are trolling. But you sound like the perfect U of C 1L

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Not sure if srs

I'm assuming you are trolling. But you sound like the perfect U of C 1L

Wish I could pull off a troll this good

mgschiet

Postby mgschiet » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:55 pm

fats provolone wrote:all i need is a post count reference and I've blacked out my bingo card

4 pages later...
nucky thompson wrote:Chill, you Need at least 1000 more posts before you'll be considered for membership in the fraternal order.

fats provolone wrote:lol bingo motherfuckers

I know I'm WAY late to this, but this made me laugh so hard I cried.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:DF: 165k at NU, or 50k at UChi? Short term career goals are biglaw for 2 years. Long-term is lawyer in politics and maybe academia if I win law school. I have sufficient connections in the arcane political areas where I hope to eventually practice that make the prestige difference between UChi and NU probably a moot point (small political firms that specialize in 1st/5th/14th amendment stuff, which care far less about prestige than demonstrated interest and connections, which I have throughout undergrad and 3 years post-grad) . I'm 95% committed to NU, but think I would regret not going to UChi when I'm 50, when the $115k difference would be probably negligible. I conservatively average my salary over my 45 year career at $100k/yr, which is $4.5 mil pre-tax. So that makes the $115k tuition difference seem especially negligible. Also, my S/O will have a PhD and make six figs until she retires. Also, I should have sufficient connections to get an interesting job (paying 80k/yr + annual bonuses) if I am below median after law school graduation. I sound like I'm ahead of myself in terms of estimating my career chances but don't have the time or energy to justify my confidence in this post.

Sounds like you want lay prestige. Most people have never heard of U Chicago.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:

You also have to look at what the difference gets you. Probably nothing in this case.

Mostly the intellectual erection of going to the same institution where some greats in law and philosophy/economics flourish(ed) -- hayek, friedman, nussbaum, leiter, posner, epstein, etc.

UC is an institution and NU is a jobs mill. When I die I'd rather be a part of an institution, nawmean?

:?

I think odds are good you'll miss the 115k + however much interest builds on that over time a lot more than you'd miss the marginally more prestige from having your degree say Chicago. UC has better job placement definitely but not 115K worth.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:06 am

Sounds like you're choosing between Harvard and NW not uchicago lol

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm

star fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

:?

I think odds are good you'll miss the 115k + however much interest builds on that over time a lot more than you'd miss the marginally more prestige from having your degree say Chicago. UC has better job placement definitely but not 115K worth.

PAYE is the same for both. Eh.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”