Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JohannDeMann

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 am

If you don't think of or know a better way to make six figures than law school, you are most likely dumb, unoriginal, and no fun to be around. Fuck this law business.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:14 am

dabigchina wrote:It could be worse.

You could be billing 2.2k hrs a year ticking and tying financial statements while making 80k like me.

What do you do? Why do you bill so many hours? Slow the fuck down.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:15 am

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:18 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
dabigchina wrote:It could be worse.

You could be billing 2.2k hrs a year ticking and tying financial statements while making 80k like me.

What do you do? Why do you bill so many hours? Slow the fuck down.

CPA. I'm trying to make manager early. I figure it'll be a nice boost at oci.

Also, my office is really siloed and the partner I work with is fucking psycho.

Eta: I'm in public accounting.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:22 am

sublime wrote:I would love to hear all the ways a 26 yo can make that

outed as dumb, unoriginal, and no fun to be around

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 am

Being able to tell girls in the bar that I am a corporate litigator is worth the $100k I went into debt

Might be able to get the same effect just by lying though

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 am

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:34 am

chem! wrote:I wasn't going to pay $300k, but I still left law school. Listen to the man, prospective law students. Think long and hard about your decision to go to law school.

I never have asked or read, but what did it for you?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:24 am

baal hadad wrote:Might be able to get the same effect just by lying though

Credited.

Although it's much easier to lie about being an attorney when you're a law student.

It's all good until you meet a woman who asks for your business card because she wants to introduce you to [random potential client/potential employer].

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:This fucking sucks. Not worth it at all. Go to silcon valley u nerds.

How did it cost you $300K?
Whats stopping you from going back to school now?
Once you are that deep in the hole, you might as well keep digging and then just IBR out until you die in your low paying dream job.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:37 am

El Principe wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Meh. I like being a lawyer.

But I have no idea what the fuck I paid for. I'm just now getting over the harm to my self-discipline caused by 3 years of dicking around until exam time, drinking away my loan money, and scrambling hard exam time. I guess I learned some shit, but not $60k a year worth.

If it wasn't for the different avy and the 60K a year part, I'd probably have figured I messed around, got drunk and posted this last semester.

Glad I'm not the only one living life on the edge.

Aren't you still a law student?

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:46 am

B.B. Homemaker wrote:
chem! wrote:I wasn't going to pay $300k, but I still left law school. Listen to the man, prospective law students. Think long and hard about your decision to go to law school.

Several things, but mostly the fact that my kids were feeling neglected because I wasn't here, and when I was here I was focused on school. I felt like I could be a great mother or a great law student, but not both, and I don't do anything by half-measure so I felt pulled in two.

Getting to the decision was hard, but once I made it, I felt great. I'll start a new teaching job on Tuesday, so it worked out just fine.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 am

chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

Several things, but mostly the fact that my kids were feeling neglected because I wasn't here, and when I was here I was focused on school. I felt like I could be a great mother or a great law student, but not both, and I don't do anything by half-measure so I felt pulled in two.

Getting to the decision was hard, but once I made it, I felt great. I'll start a new teaching job on Tuesday, so it worked out just fine.

Wait was this a recent decision? Congrats and good luck with the new job btw.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am

I left school in early October, and thanks!

ETA: I'm making my kids do a test run on riding the bus to school this morning, and kid #2 is on and gone. Kid #1 is acting like I'm sending him to the gallows, and is wishing that I was still a law student or lady of leisure right now.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:our boomerdome will be strong. The late era millenials are certified nutbags. I bet they'll be putting trigger warnings and their pronouns on their resumes by 2017.

Late to the party, but this is awesome

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:45 am

chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

hhahaha so you left Law school to be a teacher. I'm a teacher and I tell you it sucks. You work 60-80hrs a week so you can be cursed out, Ignored, and make less than 40k.

GOOD LUCK lmfao

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:47 am

Dude, she was a teacher before going law school. She knows what she's doing. Chill.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:47 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:
chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

hhahaha so you left Law school to be a teacher. I'm a teacher and I tell you it sucks. You work 60-80hrs a week so you can be cursed out, Ignored, and make less than 40k.

GOOD LUCK lmfao

Since I have over a decade of teaching experience, I think I know what to expect, but thanks for your insightful post.

B.B. Homemaker

Postby B.B. Homemaker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:48 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:

GOOD LUCK lmfao

You clearly don't know chem.

Though I do second the good luck, minus the douchey lmfao. High school chem was one of my favorite classes and one of those things I wish I'd been medicated early enough for. A bit more concerted effort might have taken me from good to really good and who knows, now I could be working down the street at Dow or something, being a non-lawyer and stuff.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

B.B. Homemaker wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:

GOOD LUCK lmfao

You clearly don't know chem.

Though I do second the good luck, minus the douchey lmfao. High school chem was one of my favorite classes and one of those things I wish I'd been medicated early enough for. A bit more concerted effort might have taken me from good to really good and who knows, now I could be working down the street at Dow or something, being a non-lawyer and stuff.

Thanks B.B.

And to rubberplant2020 - sorry your school sucks.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

Is the moral of the story here that moms shouldn't go to law school then?
It can't be just a time management issue, or why wouldn't you explore part time options?

I take it you dropped out in 1L? That year is not really reflective of the rest of your experience. If you want you can make the last two years almost a snooze fest. Just sign up for easy lectures and stuff without any real final to it.

I can't think of anyone who dropped out after tasting electives who wasn't failing out anyways.
Last edited by iowaguy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:52 pm

THE PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS, CHEM

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm

[/quote]
Since I have over a decade of teaching experience, I think I know what to expect, but thanks for your insightful post.[/quote]

lol

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:55 pm

iowaguy wrote:
chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

It can't be just a time management issue, or why wouldn't you explore part time options?

I take it you dropped out in 1L? That year is not really reflective of the rest of your experience. If you want you can make the last two years almost a snooze fest. Just sign up for easy lectures and stuff without any real final to it.

I can't think of anyone who dropped out after tasting electives who wasn't failing out anyways.

I'm glad you have everyone else's lives figured out.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 pm

iowaguy wrote:
chem! wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote:

psycho

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”