Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ymmv

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby ymmv » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:11 am

nucky thompson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, I never get why people don't blink at "fuck you" but clutch their pearls over "kill yourself."

Wow. They let you moderate Internet forums?

Let me spell it out for you: what happens to a poster that takes literally a fuck you? What happens to a poster that takes literally a kill your self?

Let's find out. Please.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:11 am

nucky thompson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Also, I never get why people don't blink at "fuck you" but clutch their pearls over "kill yourself."

Wow. They let you moderate Internet forums?

Let me spell it out for you: what happens to a poster that takes literally a fuck you? What happens to a poster that takes literally a kill your self?

They both have Aspergers?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:11 am

sublime wrote:

I mean, I don't get super offended at either, but if you have someone close to you who committed suicide, I definitely understand it.

That's fair, you're right. I tend to assume people who've been around here as long as nucky realize that they're assuming a certain amount of risk when they post, I guess.

and nucky, do you seriously think anyone is taking either of those two phrases literally?

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:12 am

If you take it literally that's kind of your fault, so take a xanax and simmer the fuck down already.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 am

Kind of digging this new Nony.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 am

mmelittlechicken wrote:If you take it literally that's kind of your fault, so take a xanax and simmer the fuck down already.

*nucky waddles over to stovetop, confused*

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:13 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:
chem! wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:Never happy when someone makes a bad choice because A) they don't know what they want or B) they join something without understanding the full ramifications of their decision.

But I'll stop being an A hole.

You can try to stop being an asshole, but it seems like a permanent condition to me.

So now your an a psychologist, ex teacher, ex law student, current teacher.
WOW Pi must have nothing on your life!

WTF? Not sure where to start with this one, so I guess I'll start with "Did I miss the announcement where 'Permanent Asshole' got added to the DSM V? That's gonna change a lot of people's bar application disclosures."

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:14 am

BVest wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:
chem! wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:Never happy when someone makes a bad choice because A) they don't know what they want or B) they join something without understanding the full ramifications of their decision.

But I'll stop being an A hole.

You can try to stop being an asshole, but it seems like a permanent condition to me.

So now your an a psychologist, ex teacher, ex law student, current teacher.
WOW Pi must have nothing on your life!

WTF? Not sure where to start with this one, so I guess I'll start with "Did I miss the announcement where 'Permanent Asshole' got added to the DSM V? That's gonna change a lot of people's bar application disclosures."

That's borderline personality disorder, TBF.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:15 am

BVest wrote:WTF? Not sure where to start with this one, so I guess I'll start with "Did I miss the announcement where 'Permanent Asshole' got added to the DSM V? That's gonna change a lot of people's bar application disclosures."

Legitimately laughed out loud at that one. :lol:

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:15 am

chup wrote:
mmelittlechicken wrote:If you take it literally that's kind of your fault, so take a xanax and simmer the fuck down already.

*nucky waddles over to stovetop, confused*

I admit. It took me a sec.

ETA: My first thought was "no... people kill themselves in the oven, not on the stove."

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:17 am

mmelittlechicken wrote: take a xanax and simmer the fuck down already.

Sound advice that Chem, the inconsistent white knight mod and the rest of the fraternal order could have used earlier

JD/PhD_in_Chicago

Postby JD/PhD_in_Chicago » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:21 am

Lol'd at "clutch their pearls". I'm totally using that from now on.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 am

JD/PhD_in_Chicago wrote:Lol'd at "clutch their pearls". I'm totally using that from now on.

Chill, you Need at least 1000 more posts before you'll be considered for membership in the fraternal order.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:29 am

I love the people who think that bringing up post count is some kind of unanswerable zinger.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:34 am

lol bingo motherfuckers

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:41 am

fats provolone wrote:lol bingo motherfuckers

You are a master.

JD/PhD_in_Chicago

Postby JD/PhD_in_Chicago » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:00 am

nucky thompson wrote:
JD/PhD_in_Chicago wrote:Lol'd at "clutch their pearls". I'm totally using that from now on.

Chill, you Need at least 1000 more posts before you'll be considered for membership in the fraternal order.

No nuthugging here, friend. That was the first thing I saw when I opened the thread and it gave me a chuckle. However, I did go back and read the entire thread. Here are my thoughts:

1. Posters were unnecessarily mean to Chem
2. I'm ashamed to admit that I found some of the sexist humor amusing
3. From the facts provided, it is curious that Chem didn't anticipate not seeing her kids as much as she'd like, and that they'd have to make sacrifices; but perhaps her situation changed or she did not anticipate how much the cost to her family would affect her
4. While the Chem attack squad was rude, I don't get why the Chem support crew had to sink to, and then go even lower than, the squad's level

Those are my musings, for what they're worth.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 am

JD/PhD_in_Chicago wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:

No nuthugging here, friend. That was the first thing I saw when I opened the thread and it gave me a chuckle. However, I did go back and read the entire thread. Here are my thoughts:

3. From the facts provided, it is curious that Chem didn't anticipate not seeing her kids as much as she'd like, and that they'd have to make sacrifices; but perhaps her situation changed or she did not anticipate how much the cost to her family would affect her
4. While the Chem attack squad was rude, I don't get why the Chem support crew had to sink to, and then go even lower than, the squad's level

Objectivity? Whaaaaa?

Remembers poster's limited post count and is no longer surprised by poster's objectivity*

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 am

JD/PhD_in_Chicago wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:

Yes to the bolded. I gave a lot of consideration to the effect law school would have on my family, but things changed after the fact, and the personal cost of pursuing a law degree became too high.

There are no "one size fits all" answers in life, and things don't always work out like you think they will. I am a believer in taking chances and chasing your goals, and I have zero regrets about going to law school. I did, however, have a fall-back position and a supportive husband, so taking that chance wasn't as risky for me as it might be for some.

I just think DF's original point in this thread is valid. He's a practicing attorney stating that you shouldn't incur staggering debt just to chase that big law dream. When you accrue that level of debt, you limit your viable options for employment.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:03 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
JD/PhD_in_Chicago wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:

Objectivity? Whaaaaa?

Remembers poster's limited post count and is no longer surprised by poster's objectivity*

If you don't get that social interaction and climbing is more about friends helping friends than merit, you're gonna have a bad time in life. Like I get that you are a Burger King so you can't see it, but it's why what happened in this thread happened.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:14 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:If you don't get that social interaction and climbing is more about friends helping friends than merit, you're gonna have a bad time in life. Like I get that you are a Burger King so you can't see it, but it's why what happened in this thread happened.

excellent south park reference

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:39 am

Chem why couldn't you predict the future and know EXACTLY what law school would do to your family?

And for the theme of the thread, I love my job and love my life after law school, and am very glad I went. But 99% of people would probably be miserable in my situation and so this says more about me being a complete weirdo than it does about whether law school is a good plan. Everytime I talk to a starry-eyed 0L who wants to do human rights I want to give them horror stories and talk them about of it.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:51 am

worldtraveler wrote:Chem why couldn't you predict the future and know EXACTLY what law school would do to your family?

And for the theme of the thread, I love my job and love my life after law school, and am very glad I went. But 99% of people would probably be miserable in my situation and so this says more about me being a complete weirdo than it does about whether law school is a good plan. Everytime I talk to a starry-eyed 0L who wants to do human rights I want to give them horror stories and talk them about of it.

the real question is why don't they call criminal law human wrongs

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 am

UnamSanctam wrote:If you don't get that social interaction and climbing is more about friends helping friends than merit, you're gonna have a bad time in life. Like I get that you are a Burger King so you can't see it, but it's why what happened in this thread happened.

High school never ends. There's always going to be the "mean clique" at work, on TLS, in your pottery class, etc. You either have to choose your battles wisely, or have enough wealth/power/prestige to not give a fuck about anyone or anything.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:07 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:

High school never ends. There's always going to be the "mean clique" at work, on TLS, in your pottery class, etc. You either have to choose your battles wisely, or have enough wealth/power/prestige to not give a fuck about anyone or anything.

tell us more about the tls mean girls and what quantity of power you need to not give a fuck about them

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”