Do not pay 300k to have my life

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rubberplant2020

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Postby rubberplant2020 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Does the second full ride make law school cheaper somehow?

Yeah I add them up.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 pm

rubberplant2020 wrote:Iowa guy asked questions so he wouldn't have to assume like you. Also teachers make the same amount of money across the board regardless of TFA status or not (I'm not in TFA). Also it's not going to be a shitty choice for me, well it's not going to be as bad as a mom who wants to stay home with her kids and then all of a sudden finds out law school won't allow that.

But heck who knows it might be worst than that for me. I'm just a 0L who will go to law school with 30k saved and a couple of full rides. Maybe I'll do poorly 1L year and flunk out.

Edit: I've worked other jobs that have allowed me to save that much. So teaching isn't my only experience.

But seriously Chem just be a stay at home mom. Don't fuck yourself by becoming a teacher. You clearly want to just stay with ur kids. Just do that.

Who on earth are you to tell chem what to do, and why the fuck do you think you know her life? Did you miss the part where she's taught for a decade, so clearly knows what she's doing/what she's getting into/what works for her life?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:22 pm

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Dropping out is a decision to be lauded not made fun of

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:56 pm

baal hadad wrote:Dropping out is a decision to be lauded not made fun of

Seriously, this. Why waste the time and money if you realize it's not what you want to do?

Questioning someone's decision to drop out is bullshit, especially from a bunch of 0Ls who don't know a damn thing.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:Iowa guy asked questions so he wouldn't have to assume like you. Also teachers make the same amount of money across the board regardless of TFA status or not (I'm not in TFA). Also it's not going to be a shitty choice for me, well it's not going to be as bad as a mom who wants to stay home with her kids and then all of a sudden finds out law school won't allow that.

But heck who knows it might be worst than that for me. I'm just a 0L who will go to law school with 30k saved and a couple of full rides. Maybe I'll do poorly 1L year and flunk out.

Edit: I've worked other jobs that have allowed me to save that much. So teaching isn't my only experience.

But seriously Chem just be a stay at home mom. Don't fuck yourself by becoming a teacher. You clearly want to just stay with ur kids. Just do that.

Who on earth are you to tell chem what to do, and why the fuck do you think you know her life? Did you miss the part where she's taught for a decade, so clearly knows what she's doing/what she's getting into/what works for her life?

Why are moderators unjustifiably white knighting for Internet forum friends? This thread is about the cost of law school relative to outcomes. This chem teacher's drop out anecdote became relevant. A poster follows up by pointing out seeming inconsistency in the Chem teachers narrrative; maybe this seemed dickish to the Chem teachers Internet forum buddies who know Chems full story, but based only on reading this thread the follow ups were not unreasonable even if they were not friendly.

Apparently, pressing a poster on inconsistency is ban worthy only if you're pressing a poster that a mod wants to protect. This rubber plant states his or her opinion, another poster responds dickishly, then the same mod that just banned someone for similar behavior toward Chem glosses over it and instead again defends the honour of his or her dear Chem teacher. Awesome!

Gets on Internet forum*
Posts a lot*
Makes Internet forum friends*
Becomes forum moderator*
Gets drunk on newly experienced social power*
Uses social (Internet forum social) power to protect fellow Internet forum super posters and punish the snarky, small post count outsiders who are not part of the tls super poster fraternal order*

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 am

nucky thompson wrote:small post count outsiders who are not part of the tls super poster fraternal order*

Shit, where's Fatduck? BINGO BLACKOUT
Last edited by MarkinKansasCity on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:26 am

nucky thompson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Why are moderators unjustifiably white knighting for Internet forum friends? This thread is about the cost of law school relative to outcomes. This chem teacher's drop out anecdote became relevant. A poster follows up by pointing out seeming inconsistency in the Chem teachers narrrative; maybe this seemed dickish to the Chem teachers Internet forum buddies who know Chems full story, but based only on reading this thread the follow ups were not unreasonable even if they were not friendly.

Apparently, pressing a poster on inconsistency is ban worthy only if you're pressing a poster that a mod wants to protect. This rubber plant states his or her opinion, another poster responds dickishly, then the same mod that just banned someone for similar behavior toward Chem glosses over it and instead again defends the honour of his or her dear Chem teacher. Awesome!

Gets on Internet forum*
Posts a lot*
Becomes forum moderator*
Uses social (Internet forum social) power to protect fellow Internet forum super posters and punish the snarky, small post count outsiders who are not part of the tls super poster fraternal order*

Honestly can't tell if serious or just extending the troll. Huge fucking fail either way.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:27 am

If troll, be funnier, or risk power-drunk mod arbitrary ban.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:28 am

nucky thompson wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Gets on Internet forum*
Posts a lot*
Becomes forum moderator*

yeah what are you trying to hide chem
#1/15truth

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:30 am

Ah, I guess I did miss that part about her quiting a job that she had worked for more than a decade to go to a place where she had no idea that it would be time consuming
Last edited by rubberplant2020 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:31 am

Please point out the inconsistency in my narrative.

Yes, my story is incomplete. I do not wish to air every detail of my life, and I shouldn't have to do so. A couple of posters have made blanket assumptions that have come across as insulting. I responded with what I felt was adequate information under the circumstances.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:32 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:Ah, I guess I did miss that part about her quiting a job that she had worked for more than a decade to go to a place where she had no idea that it would be time consuming

be honest how many hours a day do you spend listening to alex jones

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:34 am

Brut wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:Ah, I guess I did miss that part about her quiting a job that she had worked for more than a decade to go to a place where she had no idea that it would be time consuming

be honest how many hours a day do you spend listening to alex jones

Don't know of him/her. You think I would benefit from listening to said person? If so I'll check it out.
Thx!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 am

nucky thompson wrote:the tls super poster fraternal order*

Please don't use slurs. The preferred nomenclature is megaposter.

Do you have advice about which snacks to eat at orientation tho?

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:Ah, I guess I did miss that part about her quiting a job that she had worked for more than a decade to go to a place where she had no idea about it being time consuming

Oh look, another assumption. I knew it would be time consuming. Who the fuck WOULDN'T know that?

Listen, you know jack shit about my life, my family, or me. I enjoyed law school, but I made the decision to leave. You should be happy because it's one more job you won't have to compete for.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 am

BAN!

BAN!

BAN!

BAN!

Come on Chem, prove him right!

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:40 am

Never happy when someone makes a bad choice because A) they don't know what they want or B) they join something without understanding the full ramifications of their decision.

But I'll stop being an A hole.

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 am

rubberplant2020 wrote:Never happy when someone makes a bad choice because A) they don't know what they want or B) they join something without understanding the full ramifications of their decision.

You can try to stop being an asshole, but it seems like a permanent condition to me.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 am

this line of conversation needs to die

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 am

rubberplant, if you, unlike everyone else, have the ability to know ahead of time exactly how every endeavor you begin is going to turn out under all circumstances, I hope you use those powers for good instead of idiocy.

and for the record:
- one person's choice is not a comment on what others in similar situations should do.
- deciding that law school is not compatible with specific parenting choices is not the same as deciding you want to stay home full time.
- deciding that law school takes too much time away from family does not mean someone didn't consider those issues very carefully to start with or that they didn't think it was going to be time-consuming
- it's kind of disturbing that trolls come out of the woodwork to condescend as soon as it's a mom choosing to leave law school based on her kids.

chem!

Postby chem! » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 am

mmelittlechicken wrote:this line of conversation needs to die

I'm finished.

rubberplant2020

Postby rubberplant2020 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:46 am

chem! wrote:
rubberplant2020 wrote:Never happy when someone makes a bad choice because A) they don't know what they want or B) they join something without understanding the full ramifications of their decision.

You can try to stop being an asshole, but it seems like a permanent condition to me.

So now your an a psychologist, ex teacher, ex law student, current teacher.
WOW Pi must have nothing on your life!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:47 am

dude, that's not even a good insult. it doesn't make any sense.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:49 am

chem! wrote:Please point out the inconsistency in my narrative.

Yes, my story is incomplete. I do not wish to air every detail of my life, and I shouldn't have to do so. A couple of posters have made blanket assumptions that have come across as insulting. I responded with what I felt was adequate information under the circumstances.

The seeming* inconsistency is that you dropped out to spend more time with your kids. you are now about to start another teaching job. Yet, you stated you do nothing by half measure. Teaching is a tremendous time sink itself, maybe more than law school. Also, the impression left by your posts in this thread is that you could not have foreseen the incompatibility of law school and your family life without deeply considering the law school path before enrollment, something you apparently didn't do. However, the incompatibility is facially obvious. So really, your narrative is not one of "I fell for the law school scam/I was a naive law applicsnt" which would be relevant to this thread so much as you simply changed your mind about your priorities/pain tolerance for necessary sacrifices.

All of which is your personal business. But you made it relevant to this thread by stating your anecdote. Instead of you and your white knight moderator getting so Russeled by some pushback, you could have simply been responsive to his or her points or you could have withdrawn your anecdote as being relevant to the thread. Or you could do what you did, ie let an Internet poster get you very rattled and defensive.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”