DF Thread Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Do not pay 300k to have my life

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:27 am

fats provolone wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you don't get that social interaction and climbing is more about friends helping friends than merit, you're gonna have a bad time in life. Like I get that you are a Burger King so you can't see it, but it's why what happened in this thread happened.
High school never ends. There's always going to be the "mean clique" at work, on TLS, in your pottery class, etc. You either have to choose your battles wisely, or have enough wealth/power/prestige to not give a fuck about anyone or anything.
tell us more about the tls mean girls and what quantity of power you need to not give a fuck about them
Idk I think you need to be 8/10 to stand a chance. I mean 7 is cute but not hot enough. Maybe if you have nice clothes it's like +1, and if you date a starter on one of the sports teams it's another +1.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:35 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:If you don't get that social interaction and climbing is more about friends helping friends than merit, you're gonna have a bad time in life. Like I get that you are a Burger King so you can't see it, but it's why what happened in this thread happened.
High school never ends. There's always going to be the "mean clique" at work, on TLS, in your pottery class, etc. You either have to choose your battles wisely, or have enough wealth/power/prestige to not give a fuck about anyone or anything.
tell us more about the tls mean girls and what quantity of power you need to not give a fuck about them
Idk I think you need to be 8/10 to stand a chance. I mean 7 is cute but not hot enough. Maybe if you have nice clothes it's like +1, and if you date a starter on one of the sports teams it's another +1.
what?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 am

iowaguy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This fucking sucks. Not worth it at all. Go to silcon valley u nerds.
How did it cost you $300K?
Whats stopping you from going back to school now?
Once you are that deep in the hole, you might as well keep digging and then just IBR out until you die in your low paying dream job.
At graduation I had 264k in debt and I paid about 7k in tution out of pocket and blew about 8k of savings I had pre law school. Plus three years of my life, no saying for retirement, not investing in a house.

All said I bet my net work was 400k lower at graduation than it would have been if I had just keep working.

But this was 2010 tution and COL.

Someone starting in 2015 will probably have 350k in debt all said and done.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zalphon

New

Post by Zalphon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 am

I am a 0L (and will be for some time while I get my UG Degree) and thus my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would argue that it is largely up to Chemi what life choices she should, or should not, have made. Not people like iowaguy whom exist to her as faceless forum entities. If she chose to withdraw from Law School in favor of her family life, then I believe that begs the question: who are we to judge her?

That said, I believe that we must all make those decisions throughout our lives. And I don't believe that there is a right or wrong choice, as there is no black and white in real life (and I believe that those in the profession of Law know that quite well, but I may be mistaken). Continuing on that point, I would like to argue the notion that she can serve to benefit from the classes taken throughout the rest of her life (as I believe that the fundamentals of Law are relatively homeostatic throughout time, correct).

Now that I have said my (unsolicited, and likely undesired) piece, I would like to ask why is it that so many of those who take up the profession of Law loathe it so? From that which I have researched here, it is due to job prospects and difficulty of gaining meaningful employment without a bit of a sacrifice to BigLaw, or a permanent position in what many would (derogatorily) call ShitLaw. But doesn't anyone actually enjoy practicing Law? It seems like a profession where one undergoes a bit of a crucible (whether it be as an Associate in BigLaw, struggling to repay loans in PI Law, or trying to find the seemingly coveted MidLaw Opportunities), but these crucibles eventually do lead to rewards (e.g. Partnership or other opportunities (such as In-House), Loan Forgiveness, and the 45-60 Hour Work Week offered by MidLaw), or am I mistaken?

I genuinely am interested in pursuing this profession, but I would appreciate an (unbiased, positively or otherwise) review of what to expect as I progress through Law School and into the actual profession (preferably based upon one's personal experiences).

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:31 am

don't go to law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:37 am

Zalphon wrote:I am a 0L (and will be for some time while I get my UG Degree) and thus my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would argue that it is largely up to Chemi what life choices she should, or should not, have made.
you're really going out on a limb there

Zalphon

New

Post by Zalphon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:40 am

Brut wrote:
Zalphon wrote:I am a 0L (and will be for some time while I get my UG Degree) and thus my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would argue that it is largely up to Chemi what life choices she should, or should not, have made.
you're really going out on a limb there

It is merely an admission that I am ignorant as to the level of sacrifice made to get as far as she did within Law School, but stating an opinion that she should not be criticized by random entities (with no knowledge of her life or choices up to that point beyond brief interaction) who claim to believe that they know better about the choices which she should have made.

That said, you may be right that I am going out on a limb...
Last edited by Zalphon on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:41 am

whose alt is this

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:42 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:51 am

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:58 am

Zalphon wrote:I am a 0L (and will be for some time while I get my UG Degree) and thus my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would argue that it is largely up to Chemi what life choices she should, or should not, have made. Not people like iowaguy whom exist to her as faceless forum entities. If she chose to withdraw from Law School in favor of her family life, then I believe that begs the question: who are we to judge her?

That said, I believe that we must all make those decisions throughout our lives. And I don't believe that there is a right or wrong choice, as there is no black and white in real life (and I believe that those in the profession of Law know that quite well, but I may be mistaken). Continuing on that point, I would like to argue the notion that she can serve to benefit from the classes taken throughout the rest of her life (as I believe that the fundamentals of Law are relatively homeostatic throughout time, correct).

Now that I have said my (unsolicited, and likely undesired) piece, I would like to ask why is it that so many of those who take up the profession of Law loathe it so? From that which I have researched here, it is due to job prospects and difficulty of gaining meaningful employment without a bit of a sacrifice to BigLaw, or a permanent position in what many would (derogatorily) call ShitLaw. But doesn't anyone actually enjoy practicing Law? It seems like a profession where one undergoes a bit of a crucible (whether it be as an Associate in BigLaw, struggling to repay loans in PI Law, or trying to find the seemingly coveted MidLaw Opportunities), but these crucibles eventually do lead to rewards (e.g. Partnership or other opportunities (such as In-House), Loan Forgiveness, and the 45-60 Hour Work Week offered by MidLaw), or am I mistaken?

I genuinely am interested in pursuing this profession, but I would appreciate an (unbiased, positively or otherwise) review of what to expect as I progress through Law School and into the actual profession (preferably based upon one's personal experiences).
Your writing style may serve you well if you ever write LR articles (because the prose in those is almost as stilted as yours), but you need to clean this up before your first set of exams.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:59 am

Going into deep debt to practice a profession you hate sucks. We get it .

Now when is everyone here going to either kill themselves or start building the lives they want.

Enough chit chat. You need your own help more than 0ls do. Happy to help trouble shoot suicide methods.

Zalphon

New

Post by Zalphon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:04 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
Zalphon wrote:I am a 0L (and will be for some time while I get my UG Degree) and thus my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would argue that it is largely up to Chemi what life choices she should, or should not, have made. Not people like iowaguy whom exist to her as faceless forum entities. If she chose to withdraw from Law School in favor of her family life, then I believe that begs the question: who are we to judge her?

Your writing style may serve you well if you ever write LR articles (because the prose in those is almost as stilted as yours), but you need to clean this up before your first set of exams.
Noted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:11 am

utahraptor wrote:don't go to law school

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:28 am

Wahrheit wrote:Wow, this is worse than me. Even before I got my shit slapped around.
Naw your much more of a goober than that dude

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:33 am

baal hadad wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:Wow, this is worse than me. Even before I got my shit slapped around.
Naw your much more of a goober than that dude
is the other guy normal presenting?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:29 am

So is Zalphon why dudes remain virgins despite being able to drop the "I'm HYSlawschool" bomb?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:45 am

this thread was a good read

jever020

New

Post by jever020 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm

This thread killed more of my brain cells than any brotastic party I've ever attended.

Again, thanks TLS.

Love you too bruh

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm

jever020 wrote:This thread killed more of my brain cells than any brotastic party I've ever attended.

Again, thanks TLS.

Love you too bruh
what do you mean
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm

u notice there have been a lot of random 45 post bros defending biglaw lately

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

April is when the stubbies will finally turn on biglaw.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Fuck. I'm at work at 8:30 . . . big law must blow.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:02 pm

federal employment + PAYE + PSLF.

Run, don't walk, to law school.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Total Litigator wrote:federal employment + PAYE + PSLF.

Run, don't walk, to law school.
Thank god they just give away fed jobs like candy these days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”