Studying in the library?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adil91

Studying in the library?

Postby adil91 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:28 pm

This may be a dumb question but are there some classes in law school in which you have to study in the library because the books you need to study are in there and you can't check them out? Or do you buy all the books you need?

rinkrat19

Re: Studying in the library?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:35 pm

You buy or rent the vast majority of your books--certainly all the books you'd need on a regular basis. People study in the library because it's quiet and a good study environment, not because there are books there. The books are largely just scenery, because most of it's online anyway. The library is not full of groups of 1Ls huddling around a single ConLaw text.

Later on, you may need to check out books from the library for research papers and such.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I think way back in the day (like, in the '80s) a Legal Research and Writing class required a fair amount of time in the library because that's where you'd do the research. You'd have to track down cases on your own, and they were in printed books. Now, all the cases are on Internet databases (Westlaw, Google Scholar, etc.).

Lots of people like to study in the library, but not because there are books there.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm

tomwatts wrote:I think way back in the day (like, in the '80s) a Legal Research and Writing class required a fair amount of time in the library because that's where you'd do the research. You'd have to track down cases on your own, and they were in printed books. Now, all the cases are on Internet databases (Westlaw, Google Scholar, etc.).

Lots of people like to study in the library, but not because there are books there.

Of course there are always the 2-3 LRW assignments that send the 1Ls swarming through the library looking for the right reporters, ALR, or AmJur.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:47 pm

BVest wrote:
tomwatts wrote:I think way back in the day (like, in the '80s) a Legal Research and Writing class required a fair amount of time in the library because that's where you'd do the research. You'd have to track down cases on your own, and they were in printed books. Now, all the cases are on Internet databases (Westlaw, Google Scholar, etc.).

Of course there are always the 2-3 LRW assignments that send the 1Ls swarming through the library looking for the right reporters, ALR, or AmJur.

We had one thing to look up in a book, and they brought the book to class for us to pass around.

adil91

Postby adil91 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I had one undergrad class in which I had to check out a book for an assignment but I could only check it out for an hour or so, so I pretty much had to do the assignment in the library

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:15 pm

adil91 wrote:I had one undergrad class in which I had to check out a book for an assignment but I could only check it out for an hour or so, so I pretty much had to do the assignment in the library

Okay. So what?

There will undoubtedly be many differences between law school and undergrad.

Jaymore

Postby Jaymore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 pm

I used to pull a bunch of obscure, useless books (all in the same subject, i.e. ten contracts books) and pretend I was studying them. Have eight or nine books piled on the desk, several open at the same time. So other people would think I was studying like crazy. Just to get them to freak out and think they weren't studying hard enough. Really I was only studying from one book.

People would ask to borrow them, or if they could study that book next. And I'd be like - "yeah, chapter nine is really on point". When it had nothing to do with anything we were learning. They would freak out and start thinking they were missing something.

This worked because I was an active participant in class and got really good grades. So people thought I knew what was up.

Just for the lolz.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 pm

The only reason I ever study in the library is so I can finish my reading out of at least one book so that I can leave it in my locker and not have to lug it home.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 pm

I only study in the library because I get way too distracted anywhere else. Not that I don't tls at the library but other distractions are minimal. And I hate lugging books.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 pm

I hate the library. Stress cess pool

Found comfy chairs in a nook on one floor of the law school I sometimes do work in instead

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 am

leigh912198972 wrote:I hate the library. Stress cess pool

Found comfy chairs in a nook on one floor of the law school I sometimes do work in instead

Undergrad library has saarinen chairs so I go cuddle up there a lot. Along with the students that sleep in them with eye masks.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:10 am

Library reserve copies are clutch for when you start rebelling against the textbook industrial complex and stop buying books.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:47 am

I only ever use the library if I forgot to print something at home. I'd much rather look something up on WestLaw from my apartment than be surrounded by neurotic weirdos frantically highlighting and copying things from six inch tomes.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:25 am

The tables in the library are bigger than my desk. Also, I'm less likely to eat, watch netflix, or move my laptop to a more comfy but less productive spot (bed, couch). Plus Scotti's argument that reading in the library = 1 less book to carry.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:51 pm

I pretty much exclusively study in the library. Carrels are my jam, and if i need a table i just pop in some earplugs. I expected the library to bother me during finals, but i really had no problem.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”