Best (non-mac) laptops for law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

What is the best laptop for law school?

HP
6%
Lenovo
35%
Don't be dumb, just go with Apple
41%
Anything Touchscreen is king
No votes
Dell is still cool
18%
Toshiba
No votes
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 17

melrod88

Best (non-mac) laptops for law school?

Postby melrod88 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Hello all!

I'm not a law student (yet), but it's never too early to start planning! And while I know technology changes rapidly, I haven't the slightest clue about computers and need to know what to search for when I begin to shop (thinking Spring/summer)! For current law students, and future ones, what advice do you have about buying a laptop for law school? I have an older, clunky one and looking to upgrade.

I know I do want a lightweight laptop, but has a sizable HD! I really would like a touchscreen, but don't know if this is an essential function for law school. What size screen is optimal for reading all those judicial opinions?! Pricepoint is not much of an issue as I think it's worth investing a little more for a good piece of technology. If you are really computer savvy, you can make suggestions regarding processors/RAM/Memory, but know it will be like me reading Cantonese.

My only necessary criteria, NO MACs! I am one of those stubborn Windows/PC lovers. Sorry, not sorry.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

I ventured to include a poll if that is easiest

Attax

Re: Best (non-mac) laptops for law school?

Postby Attax » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Search the forum, there's a huge thread about this.

But, just get a lenovo.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Touchscreen is absolutely not necessary for school. Which should be obvious, since there were basically no touchscreen laptops until the last couple of years. Get a touchscreen only if you want/would use it for other things.

Lenovos are widely considered pretty reliable.
Only get an HP if it's really cheap (so replacing it when it dies is nbd) or a high-end model (which are passable).
Keep all school work in the cloud. Doesn't matter which cloud.
All you need for law school is word processing and internet, so anything above a minimum model is purely optional, based on your non-school use. Are you going to watch a lot of HD video and want a nice screen? Process photos? Mix music? Game? etc.

DO get a laser printer capable of auto duplex (Brother makes a good and reasonably cheap one) and a second monitor that can rotate vertically (so your computer should be able to drive a second monitor as an extended desktop, not just a duplicate desktop.)

I personally think it's impossible to work effectively on anything smaller than 14-15", but some people are more worried about the extra 2 pounds in their backpack and use 10-11".

Most of the laptop manufacturer websites will have an academic store where you can get ~10% for being a student.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:54 am

Regarding size, I actually find my 11" pretty easy to use for most things that aren't legal writing. For that I have an additional monitor so I can effectively do work.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”