Current Pitt Law 3L taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
knabla

Current Pitt Law 3L taking Questions

Postby knabla » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:59 am

If you have any questions about the University of Pittsburgh School of Law let me know. Pittsburgh is a great city to live in! I know it can be difficult deciding on law schools so if I can be helpful let me know!

axiomatic

Re: Current Pitt Law 3L taking Questions

Postby axiomatic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Hello knabla, Are there any locations in particular that you would recommend for housing?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Pitt grad here (c/o 2013), happy to supplement OP's answers for added perspective.

knabla

Postby knabla » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

axiomatic wrote:Hello knabla, Are there any locations in particular that you would recommend for housing?

Absolutely! There are a couple of neighborhoods that law students tend to live in:

Shadyside - there are several buses which run from this neighborhood to the law school (10-15 minute commute). There are a lot of bars that you're able to walk to, a small shopping area, and mostly residential so it's quiet. Probably one of the more expensive places to live.
Squirrel Hill - buses also run here, a lot of bars and some shopping. Similar to Shadyside but a little more eccentric/less mainstream if that makes any sense. 15-20 minute commute.
Bloomfield - the "little Italy" of Pittsburgh, residential and established it tends to have an older population living there. Still has buses running to the school for about a 15-20 minute commute.
North Oakland - close to the school, you would be able to walk, take the Pitt Shuttle, or use the city buses. Has some bars, closeish to Shadyside, and has significant elderly population (so quiet).
South Oakland - very close to the school, but also where the undergrads live so it's loud. On weekends you'll have to deal with noise from undergrad parties. Some people like living so close to the school so it's really a personal decision.

Other neighborhoods people choose to live in (but aren't as popular): South Side, Lawrenceville, North Hills, Regency Square. All of these have longer commutes but are really cool neighborhoods.

My advice would be to decide what is most important to you (quiet, convenience, off street parking, laundry, rent prices, roommate/single, etc). There are a lot of great apartments in Pittsburgh though. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”