"Coolest" LS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starry eyed

Re: "Coolest" LS

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:50 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Better than you were expecting in what way though? I'm somewhat confused as to what you're getting at.

Lol putting me on the spot. I just thought the students would be pretty liberal and intolerant of southerners. The couple ones i talked to were very friendly though. I'm very much outside my comfort zone, but i'll adapt lol.
Last edited by starry eyed on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:51 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Go where the money is, and if you have a few comparable options then go see how you feel at ASW

Right.

If your cycle boils down to two or three options that are essentially the same for your core purposes (e.g. placement power, placement region, cost of attendance), then consider these kind of factors by taking a visit. That's how my cycle ended up playing out; you'll know pretty much on arrival which you'll prefer. But this is nothing to concern yourself with until like April.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:52 pm

also in the south we say ma'am, i found out today, that is offensive up here lol

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:54 pm

alaird21 wrote:also in the south we say ma'am, i found out today, that is offensive up here lol

It's not necessarily offensive. If the woman you're talking to is less than about 50 years old, though, it is per se offensive.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm

alaird21 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Better than you were expecting in what way though? I'm somewhat confused as to what you're getting at.

Lol putting me on the spot. I just thought the students would be pretty liberal and intolerant of southerners. The couple ones i talked to were very friendly though. I'm very much outside my comfort zone, but i'll adapt lol.

I mean liberal doesn't mean intolerant... I'm even more confused now that this has become a north v south thing.

Postby 03152016 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm

alaird21 wrote:I toured NYU today but everyone was pretty deep in the books. No one looked interested in chatting.

dude we're in the middle of finals
come back after the break, it'll be a much different environment

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Jobs
Cost
Nothing else matters. I can't imagine there's a wide variety in personality types regardless of any "law school stereotypes". Every school will have its chill people and every school will have its insufferable people. The rate at which they appear in a particular school is likely going to vary in a given year just based on randomness.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

I mean liberal doesn't mean intolerant... I'm even more confused now that this has become a north v south thing.

what exactly are you confused about? my ignorance? i can't really explain any further. Spend your life in the north, and then come to the deep south and tell me you would not have uncertainties or anxieties. jesus man

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:29 pm

ya ain't ever seen 'deliverance' boy?

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 pm

alaird21 wrote:what exactly are you confused about? my ignorance? i can't really explain any further. Spend your life in the north, and then come to the deep south and tell me you would not have uncertainties or anxieties. jesus man

well if we did that we would be concerned about *actually* intolerant people. I take it this your first time venturing out of Mississippi? Nobody in a "liberal city" is going to give a fuck about your background or be intolerant of you, granted you are not being an asshole.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
alaird21 wrote:what exactly are you confused about? my ignorance? i can't really explain any further. Spend your life in the north, and then come to the deep south and tell me you would not have uncertainties or anxieties. jesus man

well if we did that we would be concerned about *actually* intolerant people. I take it this your first time venturing out of Mississippi? Nobody in a "liberal city" is going to give a fuck about your background or be intolerant of you, granted you are not being an asshole.

that's a pretty big generalization and kinda hypocritical too, you would probably just be invited inside for some good ol' sweet tea. At least from ppl like me, i can't speak from the point of view of the rednecks. I don't know how the subject was steered to this in the first place though lol. It was not my intention. Although, asking subjective questions about genuine concerns on an anonymous forum seems appropriate to me. Thanks for the responses.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:55 pm

The culture of each t14 changes pretty dramatically from year to year. The main factors for people in picking schools are job placement, geographic location and scholarship money. A 1L class is always going to be fairly anti-social and you are going to essentially get a completely different bunch of types each year pretty randomly based on ranking and scholarship stuff. Not a lot of people are going to pick say Michigan over Penn because Michigan seems more social. Also, because it so depends on the make up of your class you'd be ill advised to do so (law school is small, one weird year in admissions can really shape the character of a school).

Picking a school based on where you think you will feel the most comfortable and have whatever outlets you need to succeed is a totally legitimate question, but you probably won't get a definitive answer to it until like 2 or 3 months into 1L.

Edited to say that Vandy seemed to have a number of people who took the scholarship money for a more fun law school experience. Visiting that school was a blast!

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks for the serious response. The logic behind the inconsistency makes total sense. Vandy is on my radar too. It would certainly be hard to turn down a full ride there. After spending the weekend in ny, it looks even more attractive lol.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:23 pm

alaird21 wrote:
At least from ppl like me, i can't speak from the point of view of the rednecks.

We'll team up, so we can speak for the entire southeastern United States.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm

I'd put my money on Baylor. They were so different from all the other schools by pointing out the Dr. Pepper Floats on fridays! That sure beats going out to bar review!

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03152016 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 pm

yeah nyu isn't a community college

most of the people i know here aren't ny natives

also, as nekro said, fedsoc is p active

and i hear that conservative alum give them a buttload of money, they have like a million events

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm

alaird21 wrote:
Mullens wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:I mean at any of these schools there is going to be an overwhelming elitist bent

Go where the money is, and if you have a few comparable options then go see how you feel at ASW

Yeah this is the way to do it. Instead of speculating based on stereotypes, go to the schools and interact with the current students and your future classmates.

I toured NYU today but everyone was pretty deep in the books. No one looked interested in chatting. All in all i got a good vibe though. It was much better than i was expecting. Ignorance is my problem as i've never seen any top schools in the flesh before.

Well yeah I mean it's the middle of finals right now

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Obligatory GULC fanboy post.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:12 pm

i know lol. i just came up here to visit my uncle- ole miss law grad who went on to get a tax llm from nyu, then biglaw. I wish i had been able to visit at a different time. Then was subsequently laid off after black monday
Last edited by starry eyed on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Can someone explain to me this federalist society?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 pm

alaird21 wrote:Can someone explain to me this federalist society?

It is for fans of the Federalist Party, especially Alexander Hamilton and John Adams.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 pm

I've heard Michigan has far more than its fair share of hipsters. I'd give up a guaranteed SCOTUS clerkship to avoid that shit.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
alaird21 wrote:Can someone explain to me this federalist society?

It is for fans of the Federalist Party, especially Alexander Hamilton and John Adams.

LOL

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:22 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I've heard Michigan has far more than its fair share of hipsters. I'd give up a guaranteed SCOTUS clerkship to avoid that shit.

do they work at starbucks part time? i purposely avoid that delectable latte bc of that shite.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”