Office of legal counsel for colleges/universities

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDanger007

Office of legal counsel for colleges/universities

Postby JDanger007 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am

I was wondering if anyone could provide information they may have on this specific path who does or has worked in an office of general/legal counsel for a department of the university affairs, medical hospital, etc. I imagine they are probably pretty tough for new attorneys to get because like most in house they want experience in a law firm first and they are not massive in size? If anyone has any advice on this route that may be helpful I would greatly appreciate it, its absolutely what I want to do.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Office of legal counsel for colleges/universities

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:39 am

This is something I was asked to post anon:

I worked in-house for an ivy league general counsel's office. The office had about ten attorney's. There was a 'corporate' group, a 'lit' group, and then some who did most employment work. Last hire in the office was a couple of years ago, and before that, many years before. Point is, hiring is contingent on availability and when people leave the office. Budget is low so there isn't much growth to the offices.

As for the attorney's, the young ones came from big law. They also went to that school's law school and had very large ties to the school/area as compelling reasons to get the job. I think if you are in law school now you should reach out to your school's in house/general counsel and see if you can volunteer/intern/work for them. That's probably the best way to get contacts and ties. It was a great place to work on lots of levels.

JDanger007

Re: Office of legal counsel for colleges/universities

Postby JDanger007 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:41 am

Thank you very much for the reply, its greatly appreciated.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”