5 Quick, Easy Answer Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ohz

5 Quick, Easy Answer Questions

Postby Ohz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:23 am

Hi guys.

My goal is to be able to realistically look at being accepted into HYS and friends.

I am enlisted Navy, doing Chinese to English translation. I have 3 years done and 3 more to go. I am not a URM.

1) Due to conflicts with my military schedule, it has become impossible to earn my undergrad in a classroom setting. I am applying to Penn State Online so that I can finish my undergrad before I separate from the Navy. I have read in the TLS forums that HYS do not look favorably upon online courses. Is it really that big of a deal considering my reason for doing so?

2) Also, community college courses. From what I've read, not looked upon favorably. Big deal or no?

3) LOR 1. I am considering asking one of my Chinese professors that I've had in the past to write one. Would it be strange coming from a Chinese language professor who's English might not be top notch? Throughout my education thus far, I have spent the most time with this professor and feel she will be able to accurately convey my willingness to work hard and dedication to success, as well as academic prowess.

4) LOR 2. Since I will be finishing my education online, I will have to acquire an LOR from one of those professors. I have a feeling it might be awkward asking someone I've never met to write an LOR for me. Also, what might HYS think?

5) LOR 3. Probably someone in my military Chain of Command. Or should I try to obtain a 3rd academic LOR since 6 years military service speaks for itself?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Don Volante

Re: 5 Quick, Easy Answer Questions

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:06 pm

probable get more help if this was in the admissions forum

but yeah I dont think HYS looks favorably on online/CC classes, but if you got a 4.0 and crushed your lsat, as military, I'd imagine you'd have a respectable shot. Either way 4.0 from online/cc and great lsat + military will garner great outcomes outside of HYS.

Ohz

Re: 5 Quick, Easy Answer Questions

Postby Ohz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the response. I will delete this thread and relocate my post to the Admissions forum.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”