Debunking Law School Myths

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scrowell

Re: Debunking Law School Myths

Postby scrowell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:I probably underperformed my entering numbers by a decent clip (LSAT especially). Law school grading is a lot more random/unpredictable than most people are saying ITT from my experience. Although, I didn't have any exams that were 100% traditional issue spotter.

So when do the myths start getting debunked?

Right now! Give me a myth!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:20 pm

scrowell wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I probably underperformed my entering numbers by a decent clip (LSAT especially). Law school grading is a lot more random/unpredictable than most people are saying ITT from my experience. Although, I didn't have any exams that were 100% traditional issue spotter.

You made a thread to address something that doesn't exist?

Just tell people about how many tries it took you to pass the CA bar if that's why you made the thread bro

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
scrowell wrote:

Just tell people about how many tries it took you to pass the CA bar if that's why you made the thread bro

Nah brah, I made this thread because TLS tries to make law school scary as shit. Trying to debunk dat bunk. U know?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

scrowell wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
scrowell wrote:

Nah brah, I made this thread because TLS tries to make law school scary as shit. Trying to debunk dat bunk. U know?

Lol.. i welcome the optimism.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:42 pm

alaird21 wrote:

It's not so bad. Two skills required:

1. ability to understand what you read
2. ability to write clearly

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:27 am

scrowell wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

EricHosmer

Postby EricHosmer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:04 am

Are MBA students more attractive than law school students? If so, is there merely a correlation or also a causation? If there is a causation, is the rank of the MBA program positively correlated with the following increase in the student's attractiveness?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:15 am

EricHosmer wrote:Are MBA students more attractive than law school students? If so, is there merely a correlation or also a causation? If there is a causation, is the rank of the MBA program positively correlated with the following increase in the student's attractiveness?

I'd say most of the graduate programs at my school have more attractive students.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 am

Tanicius wrote:
scrowell wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

well...damn

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:33 am

alaird21 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
scrowell wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

well...damn

It's just not true. You need to understand the particular professor and/or be better enough at reading and writing to outpace all the other classmates that are also good at reading and writing. Writing clearly and understanding what you read gets you a C most of the time.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:08 am

It's just not true. You need to understand the particular professor and/or be better enough at reading and writing to outpace all the other classmates that are also good at reading and writing. Writing clearly and understanding what you read gets you a C most of the time.

I'm glad you mentioned understanding the professor, you aren't talking about his political views, but more of just recognizing what kind of answers he likes when he calls on people? I guess i'm a little confused.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 am

alaird21 wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned understanding the professor, you aren't talking about his political views, but more of just recognizing what kind of answers he likes when he calls on people? I guess i'm a little confused.

Yes. Many processors in law school admitted to me and others that the difference between an average grade and good grade, or a good grade and great grade, were often just the result of the professor's random feelings at the time or based on structural preferences for their exams. Almost everyone in law school gets the substance.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Tanicius wrote:

Worked for me. Top 20% and only got 1 C during LS and it was because I completely mailed it in for that class.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:55 pm

alaird21 wrote:

He wouldn't even know. Berkeley kids don't get letter grades.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Tanicius wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

Yes. Many processors in law school admitted to me and others that the difference between an average grade and good grade, or a good grade and great grade, were often just the result of the professor's random feelings at the time or based on structural preferences for their exams. Almost everyone in law school gets the substance.

This is completely credited. The only class I booked last year was one where I did zero reading, skipped half the classes, and only studied (from an old outline) for about three days before the final.
My worst grade, on the other hand, was in the class I studied for the most intently and felt like I had the most thorough grasp of the material.

Shit be random as fuck, and anyone who pretends otherwise is usually just trying to make themselves feel good about their luck.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:11 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
alaird21 wrote:

This is completely credited. The only class I booked last year was one where I did zero reading, skipped half the classes, and only studied (from an old outline) for about three days before the final.
My worst grade, on the other hand, was in the class I studied for the most intently and felt like I had the most thorough grasp of the material.

Shit be random as fuck, and anyone who pretends otherwise is usually just trying to make themselves feel good about their luck.

Sounds like you studied "smart" instead of hard for the class you aced. That's how I did every class and the bar, brah. That's what it's all about.

You over study, you over think, you f up.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:32 pm

TheoO wrote:
EricHosmer wrote:Are MBA students more attractive than law school students? If so, is there merely a correlation or also a causation? If there is a causation, is the rank of the MBA program positively correlated with the following increase in the student's attractiveness?

I'd say most of the graduate programs at my school have more attractive students.

At our school, at least in my class, I don't really agree that other programs have more attractive student bodies than JD/LLM.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:10 am

scrowell wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Worked for me. Top 20% and only got 1 C during LS and it was because I completely mailed it in for that class.

100% of the time, just knowing how to read and write decently will work 20% of the time.

Sounds like you studied "smart" instead of hard for the class you aced. That's how I did every class and the bar, brah. That's what it's all about.

Reading and writing well =/= studying smart. It's a necessary condition but nowhere near sufficient.

scrowell

Postby scrowell » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 am

Tanicius wrote:
scrowell wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

100% of the time, just knowing how to read and write decently will work 20% of the time.

Reading and writing well =/= studying smart. It's a necessary condition but nowhere near sufficient.

ok, reading and writing well, and studying in moderation = DOING WELL

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:16 am

jbagelboy wrote:
TheoO wrote:

At our school, at least in my class, I don't really agree that other programs have more attractive student bodies than JD/LLM.

Another data point - my section is bimodal and there is no middle ground.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”